• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ripped track 163"

P
Aug 13, 2014
So I just picked up a newer pro for me. 2013 rmk pro 800 and as I was loading it back on to my trailer because summer is over I noticed a rip in my track.
It is about 6 inches long and it is directly down the path of the left side driver and the wheel in the back. Is there any way to glue or stitch this or is the track junk. Also will a 2015 take off track fit in a 2013 pro with stock drivers?

image.jpg

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
I would replace it. Any stock 163 PRO or IQRaw (Dragon etc.) track would work, but I personally would consider a 163 Camo Extreme 2.86 pitch. Stiffer lugs, fewer heart attacks going downhill. Depends on what kind of snow conditions you ride, but IMHO the Camo Ex is superior in most conditions and does not give up much in soft pow. And a direct replacement without any additional labor than putting in a stocker. I think there are a couple for sale in swapmeet.

Of course if you want to throw more labor and parts at it you can go to a 3" lug, or the Camo Extreme 3" pitch (need to change drivers and possibly put in antistab), but I would rather put in the better track and ride it!

P
Aug 13, 2014
Ok thank you for the post. I am looking to spend around 300$ for a track and I have found a couple of stock replacements online. Any idea how hard it is to put on a track and how long would it take?
Also what is the average what a shop would charge to put on a new track

B
I'm a certified polaris tech at a large volume dealer in colorado I can change a track (stock) in about an hour but I do them fairly regularly and have somewhat of a system down you must remove your lower sprocket, the entire rear skid, the secondary, the driveshaft and then you can put the new track in it is not a job for a novice and as far as 300$ that probably isn't gonna happen if the track is in good condition but if you can pull that off more power to ya if you're interested I have my 2015 take off track with zero miles on it but I'd want well over 300$ for it as far as installing a new track you're looking at a total of roughly 1000$

P
Nov 30, 2013
On 2013 with the belt drive as long as you have a good mech aptitude and tools it should only take 2-3 hours. Nothing major to change.

P
Aug 13, 2014
On 2013 with the belt drive as long as you have a good mech aptitude and tools it should only take 2-3 hours. Nothing major to change.

Ok I know what I am doing and have plenty of tooling I just have never changed out a track. Is it very hard to take out the drivers?

U
Nov 29, 2007
08 dragon track

yes it will fit but i think th lgs are softer then your pro track so it won't hook up good in harder snow conditions there is tons of take of pro tracks on Craiglist Alberta canada pretty reasonable.

Last edited:
S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
Ok I know what I am doing and have plenty of tooling I just have never changed out a track. Is it very hard to take out the drivers?

its easy to remove the skid, the 4 bolts and loosen the rear wheels and pull it out....

then remove the bearing cup behind the secondary clutch is an easy 3 bolts.

im not sure, but because of the large drive shaft...... you may have to remove all the bolts on the chain case/ quick drive backing plate and remove it. this requires some heating of bolts and glue.......

D
Oct 27, 2013
Sunset, Utah
I just did my first track Saturday night. Me and a buddy did it with no real instructions. Took us 2 hours and wasn't tuff at all. Hardest part is getting the cog back in. There are plenty of tracks out there for the $300 dollar range. The local dealer wanted $175 to switch my out for me. Good luck and don't swet it's not that hard at all..

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
I just did my first track Saturday night. Me and a buddy did it with no real instructions. Took us 2 hours and wasn't tuff at all. Hardest part is getting the cog back in. There are plenty of tracks out there for the $300 dollar range. The local dealer wanted $175 to switch my out for me. Good luck and don't swet it's not that hard at all..

Did you have to remove the chain case or quick drive plate from the bulkhead to slide the drive shaft out? Or can you slide it over enough threw clutch side to drop it down?

#canadastrong

P
Aug 13, 2014
Did you have to remove the chain case or quick drive plate from the bulkhead to slide the drive shaft out? Or can you slide it over enough threw clutch side to drop it down?

#canadastrong

Yeah that was my only worrie if I don't have to take off any bonded parts and it is just all nuts and bolts I don't think I will have a problem at all.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
I'm a certified polaris tech at a large volume dealer in colorado I can change a track (stock) in about an hour but I do them fairly regularly and have somewhat of a system down you must remove your lower sprocket, the entire rear skid, the secondary, the driveshaft and then you can put the new track in it is not a job for a novice and as far as 300$ that probably isn't gonna happen if the track is in good condition but if you can pull that off more power to ya if you're interested I have my 2015 take off track with zero miles on it but I'd want well over 300$ for it as far as installing a new track you're looking at a total of roughly 1000$
Check the swapmeet section here on snowest... $300-$400 plus shipping is really common for a good used 163 series 5.1 takeoff track. Even a few Camo Extreme (better track IMHO) for not a lot more on swapmeet recently. As for the $1000 for a new track, LMAO @ dealers wanting that kind of money, that is full retail, and you can get new ones from places like TracksUSA for quite a bit cheaper - hundreds of $$ cheaper... I suspect the only time a dealer sells one of those high priced OEM tracks is when an insurance company is paying for it. No offense intended but that is a ripoff. Even including dealer installation at $1K would be a rip. I like my dealer but not that much. I buy lots of other parts from them but not ever a track no matter what they are so far out of line on price...

Does anybody know if a track off a 2008 dragon will fit a 2013 rmk pro.
The part number is 5413233.

yes it will fit but i think th lgs are softer then your pro track so it won't hook up good in harder snow conditions there is tons of take of pro tracks on Craiglist Alberta canada pretty reasonable.
The official line is that the 5.1 series tracks are all the same durometer if I recall correctly, however I think the newer ones (2011 and newer) might be a bit stiffer. Still too soft IMHO, and they take a definite set and roll over easier when they get some miles on them when compared to the Camo Extreme. All are 2.86 pitch stock, as is the Camo Extreme I run.

I thought that track was a 2.52 pitch? Somethings different about it vs current anyway.
Wrong! 2007 to present IQ-Raw chassis and Pro chassis 155 and 163 are all 2.86 pitch stock.

I still would fork over the extra $ for a Camo Extreme if you could find a good used one, especially in your neck of the woods, harder or at least denser snow than say Colorado. Here in MT I prefer it too but here it is a bit more personal preference. Downhill braking difference alone has saved me from a few heart attacks dropping off steep stuff when there is a bit of crust or hardpack.

Premium Features