• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

01 summit 800 no spark

T
Jan 5, 2013
Williams Lake BC
I see a few posts for the same issue here. I'm having trouble due to limmited access to parts in my region, My summit developed a no spark issue, My stator ohms out to spec the lighting coil output is within spec and the ignition side output is 11 volts spec is 15 to 30 vac close but is it to low to run? I have no output from the mpem to the ignition coil 0.00 vac. faulty mpem or is the staor output of 11 vac just to low (cranking) to excite the mpem? Ohh forgot to mention switches are ok and tried a friends spare coil just to be sure. Any simmilar experiences? I can't find a mpem that will work close by to try. Have access to a 03 mpem but the connector configuration is different. Thanks in advance. Dave.

A

attatoy

Nov 19, 2012
Vancouver Island B.C.
where are you dave? I got troubles too. mine is droping spark on the trail....its awful. I have a 01 machine so if you need anything checked or compared let me know. you have mechanical reverse?

T
Jan 5, 2013
Williams Lake BC
Hey attatoy I'm in Williams Lake. I didn't have any issues with mine running poorly or cutting out at all, I stopped to remove a downed tree from the trail and my sled has never started again no spark. I do on occasion have to wiggle my DESS switch after a start up, but never while riding. are your spark plug wires in good shape? including the connection between wire and plug?

A

attatoy

Nov 19, 2012
Vancouver Island B.C.
I would say yes, I fix outboard so I know my way around a two stroke pretty good. It seems like I gotta change something expensive now. You have axcess to a DVA meter to check your stator output?

O
Jan 30, 2011
Black Hills
Had exactly the same issue on an 03 600 renegade, sled quit like you turned it off never started again, everything checked out except for no output from mpem to coil, it was a bad mpem. Problem now is where do you find one???

T
Jan 5, 2013
Williams Lake BC
My 2001 summit 800 MPEM has 6 connectors on it, I have a friend with an 03 MPEM and it has 5 and the one from the switches is different. I've been looking on line for a used one and found anywhere from 4 to 6 connector versions for the same year and model as mine, looks like some are missing the dpm and some are missing the dpm and intake air temp sensor connectors. I took my stator out it was oiley and there were metal pieces stuck to the flywheel, windings looked ok and ohm tested good, so cleaned it and re epoxied it and no luck still the same problem. Sure would be nice to try another MPEM. I'm going to buy a stator on monday anyway will post whether or not it changes anything.

Premium Features