• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Do you need to run an aftermarket skid with a turbo?

Thread Rating
4.00 star(s)
M

Mr. Redrock

Nov 26, 2007
I'm pulling the triger on a turbo for my 163 Pro.
I had planed on doing Carl's cycle rear fox shocks this year for a better ride.
I'm not planning on going crazy with boost 8-10psi. mostly boondocking, and some climbing.
Will I have to much ski lift with a 163 or be ok?
I would rather not spend to money on a full out skid. Way over budget as it is.
Any sugestions?

Mtn. Muncher

Premium Member
Feb 21, 2010
If you want to maximize your sleds performance a skid will be much need. Rear suspension coupling will control the ski lift and give you the control. If you are not wanting to spend a ton of money we offer a back arm kit that will be supplied with the Mtn. Tamer back arm and a Fox Evol rear shock along with some mounting hardware for $1085. With this kit you will use the stock front arm and shock with stock rails. It will provide you with the coupling adjuster and will save 4 lbs. This is a good option for a turbo sled that will not break the bank.

Allen from Timbersled

J

jeepin270

Aug 27, 2009
Maine
I finally bite the bullet, after blowing my knee out last yr. I made every change I could with the stock skid. 10 boost at 3000ft, the sled was jus out of control. I went with a fit kit and the exit shocks, I think it added up to $1600. Timbersled was my choice. Hopefully it works as advertised.

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
I dont believe you need a skid but the right shocks set up correctly would be a very good minimum. Some say they dont like the coupled skids ( KMOD ,timbersled etc) on the Pro. I have the assault and I cant say I had a problem running boost but that is a better shock package than a standard pro.

friscospices.com

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Nebraska
www.friscospices.com
I did the same Timbersled rear skid with the Exit's. You can adjust coupling on the hill with no tools. I found about 1/3 up for Boondocking and full up on hill climbs. Usually left it between 1/3 and 1/2 coupled for best overall handleing but the nice thing is if your gonna make a bunch of runs up the steep you can adjust your ski lift. My buddies always commented on how they noticed a faster climb when adjusted with no ski lift, maybe it was just the fact you can stay in the throttle more but it really is a huge change from one extreme to the other on back to back climbs on the same hill.

K

Kestrel2126

Nov 17, 2009
Grand Jct, CO
I have an "11 Pro with BD turbo. Initially. I wanted to give the stock skid a shot, and ended up just doing the Carl's/Fox shock upgrade that I believe you are speaking of. It is a really good set of shocks, and a HUGE improvement over stock, especially with boost (I ride 10K' plus usually, with 8-12PSI depending on snow cond). That said, it does still have more ski lift than I would prefer, and does not handle the extra power nearly as well as a Timbersled skid. I would recommend going with their rear arm/shock kit at very least, and going to their full skid if you really want your sled to perform, and have a bomber set of rails!

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
I dont believe you need a skid but the right shocks set up correctly would be a very good minimum. Some say they dont like the coupled skids ( KMOD ,timbersled etc) on the Pro. I have the assault and I cant say I had a problem running boost but that is a better shock package than a standard pro.

Put a good skid under yours and you'll think different

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
Mtnmuncher- what are the cons to the rear arm kit compared to the entire deal aside from the 1 pound difference? I already have an evol rear and zero pro x front track shock, and I like that set up but everyone makes it sound like a coupled skid is much better.

Last edited:

Mtn. Muncher

Premium Member
Feb 21, 2010
When you have coupling it is an indescribable feeling of control and being able to steer your sled where you want to go when on the throttle. This also applies to being able to turn out or climbing strait up then putting your sled into a side hill to take it over the top. If the skis are in the air already it is hard to utilize your engine power. If you have never had the coupling, then what you do not know cannot hurt you. I think that most guys on here can vouch for this.

There are 2 main differences between the Mtn. Tamer complete skid kit with rails and the back arm kit that uses the stock rails and front arm and shock.

1st On our complete skid package the front arm is shorter (same as the IQ) and with this we are able to get more coupling without the skid binding up or trying to cam over center at full coupling.

2nd The front shock is longer and the front arm sets about 1” taller. This allows for a much more lineal compression rate on the front arm allowing for smoother coupling and smoother ride quality. This also allows you to run a higher preload on the front track shock; calibrated this way helps keep the sled feeling light on the skis when running the coupling adjuster half to all the way in.

On the back arm kit we have it calibrated so that you do not get any of the pure symptoms that could occur. Its a good option for just over a thousand bucks. I would say it works much better on a boosted sled over just having a float evol package with zero-pro front. Simply put if you do not have coupling then the only way to keep the front end down more than stock is capable of is to stiffening the back shock and this affect your ride quality.

Allen from Timbersled

Last edited by a moderator:

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
I think an aftermarket skid should be sold as part of the turbo kit. The timbersled ski (with adjustable coupling) makes a world of difference in making sure track stays connected with the snow.
Plenty of guys do just fine on boost with stock skid, until they ride one with timbersled skid and realize just how much more traction and control they could have had.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Put a good skid under yours and you'll think different

This is interesting....A friend of mine took his timbersled skid off and put his Assault skid back in and now prefers the Assault skid. Is there something maybe he was doing wrong, he really knows how to tune and set-up Polaris sleds?

Premium Features