• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hello and 5203 ???

A
Oct 15, 2010
Fairbanks, Alaska
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and wanted to say "HI". I'm in Fairbanks, AK. I just switched teams - Ski-Doo (summit) to Arctic Cat (2009 M8 SP with a 153"). I'm anxious to see what all the hub bub is about with this boondocking M8!

Based on all the info I've gleaned from the forums I decided to pull the DD and change out the infamous bearing. DD is on my bench and I bought a KYK 5203 sealed bearing as the replacement. My question is should I remove 1 or both of the seals on the new bearing so it can get lubed from the gear case oil? It looks like the BDX bearing everyone uses is sealed. Just seems like it would be a good thing if the bearing wasn't sealed so it could get lubed. I don't particularly want to pull the DD, to grease this sealed bearing in the future (apparently you can gently remove the seals and grease the bearing - never done that).

Let me know your thoughts on seals or no seals on the 5203 - thanks.

One more thing, what's the secret with removing the drive belt on my 09!! Not enough clearance between the primary clutch, belly pan, and that tab for the side panel. Seems ridiculous. Send me a link to a clutch tool if that's the answer - thanks again.

My machine has 1,000 miles, Boss seat, Chris Burandt upgrade, just installed a tall windshield, soon to have 5203 repair, last thing needed is a hitch setup to pull a 10' tobaggon now and then.

Thanks fellas,
J

2009 M8_resize.jpg

S

silvester

Dec 15, 2009
Grand County Colorado
No real tricks to get the belt off, just once you get it off the secondary, I turn it almost perpendicular to the Primary and slip it out the tight spot on the bottom.

A
Oct 15, 2010
Fairbanks, Alaska
I would have to pull extremely hard to wedge it under the primary. It's so tight I can't imagine re-installing a new belt. It helped when I pushed in on the primary (engaging the spring) but I couldn't push it in far enough to create room for the belt to slip under.

BDX recognizes the issue on 2009s: http://www.bd-xtreme.com/bdx09beltremovaltoolandbeltdeflectionadjustertool.aspx

Just not sure how this tool works and wondering if other 09 owners have the same problem - thanks.

Daltech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2008
North Norway
I just lay the belt across the outher part of the clutch, then just turn the clutch clockwards, and the belt slips easy past the plastic knob and down under the clutch.

About the bearing. Leave the sealing in. There's not enought oil spinning around where the bearing is located. That's why it is sealed.
IMO, I never heard about anyone yet that has had so many miles on their large bearing to worn it out. So should not think about refilling it with grease. It does not run in water, like idel wheels, so grease should not come out of it.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
i just pry the primary between the spyder and sheave to close it abit and then lots of clearance to slip belt on

J

JROD

Nov 6, 2004
Bozeman, MT
Don't remove the seals. There's not enough oil circulation to keep the bearing properly oiled.

N

newtrout

Oct 1, 2001
Central Washington
Leave the seals in, but it's not a bad idea to repack the new 5203 bearing. Pull the seals, flush out the tiny amount of cheap, waxy grease that they come with, and pack the bearing about 50% full with a high quality synthetic.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
You will need to reinforce the rear bumper and rear of the tunnel to use it as a utility sled. You can pack a lot of stuff on a 10' tobaggon!

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
as stated above, take the seals off the new 5203, flush the little amount of grease sent with it from the mfg, and repack it with a higher quality synthetic grease, and then put the seals back in.

i have 2, 09 m8's with about 2000 miles on each, they have had the new wide 5203 bearing since day one. and i did pack them prior to install... no issues with the DD. ski

blackjack85335

Lifetime Membership
Jan 2, 2008
Do the 2008 M8 have the same issue with the dd bearing or is it more of a problem with 09 and up?

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
the 2008 has the same crappy bearing in it

It costs less than $20, preventative maintenance so your diamond drive doesn't implode on the mtn. it happened to me on my m7 what a mess, we had to pull in out by hand, 5 guys, 3.5 hours just to get it where we could pull it outm I wasn't very popular that day with my friends

New AK guy welcome to Snowest

Premium Features