• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 M8 what the heck is this??

A
Nov 13, 2009
Clarkston
i bought an 09 m8 today and i had the same sled last season but got one with only 600 miles. on the first pick it looks like the outer shell of the pipe is bent and packing is coming out. whats that all about.. the second picture is right next to the oil reservoir and its a cord thats unplugged. i dont remember seeing this on my other m8 any clue what it could be? a little help would be great!! thanks.

m8.jpg m81.jpg

S

Ski-Laxn

Nov 26, 2007
Longmont, Co
Plug in is a diagnostic connecter. Nothing to worry about. The packing on the pipe is probably flattened out and needs replaced.

A

alexhack

Nov 8, 2008
Red Deer, Alberta
I wouldnt worry about the pipe either. If your talking about the dint where the spring is, its suposed to be like that. If your talking about the small gap a little futher around, thats no big deal. The packing is just fiberglass to retain the heat.

N

newtrout

Oct 1, 2001
Central Washington
The pipe insulation is garbage. You'll notice your entire engine compartment gets covered with fine white fibers. I pulled my heat shield and wrapped the pipe with header wrap. You wouldn't believe how much it improves underhood heat control. After a hard pull, you can lift the hood and put snow on the wrapped pipe and it slowly melts, no sizzle.

D

dp2826

Dec 31, 2007
NW Iowa
The pipe insulation is garbage. You'll notice your entire engine compartment gets covered with fine white fibers. I pulled my heat shield and wrapped the pipe with header wrap. You wouldn't believe how much it improves underhood heat control. After a hard pull, you can lift the hood and put snow on the wrapped pipe and it slowly melts, no sizzle.

how many ft of wrap does a guy need to do a pipe? what width is best?

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
i have some 2'' wide wrap i just tried installing on my pipe today. i eventually gave up. its literally impossible to get it to wrap nice. the narrower stuff may be better...

what did you guys use?

Premium Features