• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 m1000 wont start

jbusch

Premium Member
Feb 10, 2009
Ok guys, cant get it to start. I switched out the handle bars, grips, heaters, throttle, and relocated the heater switches using RSI's kit. I didnt touch the engine kill switch yet. left it connected to the orginal wiring. Waiting for my tether kill switch before I disconnect anything associated with the kill switch. I have all the wiring hooked up, but even if I hooked up the wiring wrong I don't think it would have anything to do with not starting.

When I pull the cord, I get power to my boondocker box but nothing to my instrument cluster, its not a snopro.

So, point me in the right direction. :face-icon-small-con

Forgot to mention, ran great last season, rode it into the trailer on the last day. I did bend the steering post and pulled that off over the summer, disconnected the ground to get off the yolk but reconnected it. I did also pull the head over the summer after I noticed that 3 out of 4 plugs exploded, no cylinder damage. Got lucky I guess.

Last edited:
D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Try unplugging you hand warmers, if you hooked the neutral in the wrong position it could kill the circut. If that does not do it try unplugging your kill switch. What do you mean the spark plugs exploded?

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Warmer short makes sense to me, esp after you saying you weren't sure on which went where.

but if you don't get it running, let me know, you can ride around on the back of my sled this year:second:

jbusch

Premium Member
Feb 10, 2009
Will try that. I would assume black is neutral right? The elctrodes on 3 out of 4 plugs are gone, they must have blown out the exhaust ports at some point.

BC, think that short track of yours can support my ***???

jbusch

Premium Member
Feb 10, 2009
ok, it starts but wont run. If I give any gas it dies right away. Ok, now what direction?
Turns out that there was an air bubble in the gas line. Pulled the line from the throttle bodies, pulled on it a couple of times until gas poured out, reconnected the line and started on first pull.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
tps...???

correction, tss throttle safety switch, if it will hit 4000rpm and die its the tss, its a switch in the throttle block, when you push the throttle the pin holding the throttle on moves, when it moves it pushes the switch inside. If it is not put together right or broke it will cause this, if its unplugged it eliminates it.

jbusch

Premium Member
Feb 10, 2009
I tried starting it with it unplugged and still had the same result. My next thoughts was to splice the 2 wires together and see if that fixed it. Thoughts wyoboy?

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
If u unplug the TSS and the on/ off switch and tether switch sled will run

check 2 see if it runs then plug in one at a time to see where the wiring issue , is your ground good, if you hadn't just swapped bars , i would say your Stator went out, but coincidentally it's probably in your handlebar wiring

jbusch

Premium Member
Feb 10, 2009
So, tried to start it tonight and it started right up. Diconnected the tss switch. Revved up past 4K, hooked up the new tether kill switch. Worked like a champ, reverse worked. I was pretty confident that I got the wiring and grounds all set right but had some dought without any direction from RSI. So, the only thing that I can figure is that the fuel pressure was low and after sitting for a bit the pressure was able to return to normal. But, so far all good. I need to elevate the rear end and run up the rpm's and see what happens.

Premium Features