• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Late clutch engagement

K

keneb

Sep 3, 2010
Spokane WA
2003 600 HO summit ZX, THe clutch engages at around 5100-5200 rpm. according to the manual it should be at 4100. I had the clutch apart, cleaned everything, there was no unusual wear and everything is stock. Is there something i else should be looking for? (pulley spacing or alignment, etc...) everthing seems to work great once you're going, it just engages at a higher than normal RPM. Thanks again for all your help!

K

keneb

Sep 3, 2010
Spokane WA
the sled has correct new belt, pulley spacing is correct and set belt deflection properly, and still have a late engagement. though it did drop to about 4800-4900. I even tightened the belt enough to slow the idle down and cause a squeel but it didn't improve any more. Any other suggestions?
Thanks again for any help offered up.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
If the tach is accurate I would say something is worn and/or binding in the primary. Arms, rollers, main bushings excessively worn...???

K

keneb

Sep 3, 2010
Spokane WA
ok, i will take it apart again and see what i can find, I don't know how accurate the tach actually is but i have an 03 800 and it works properly, engages at 3800 and is silky smooth all the way through. the wifes 600? not even close! revs way up and is rather abrupt. just difficult to keep a steady slower speed while driving, it's pretty jumpy. I try not to let her ride mine too much, or i may not get it back!

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Is it a new (to you) sled, or did it just start doing this?
Sounds like a Summit with high altitude clutching being ridden at sea level.

F
Dec 10, 2007
Yellowknife, NWT
Is it a new (to you) sled, or did it just start doing this?
Sounds like a Summit with high altitude clutching being ridden at sea level.

I think devilmanak is on the botton, i have a bunch of buddys that had those old summits and they all reved very high, they loved the launch and it pulled good all the way through also and ran them like that for years

K

keneb

Sep 3, 2010
Spokane WA
I have taken the clutch apart again, the arms are in properly, and moving freely, all the rollers look good and move freely. it has the stock green/white spring, the ramps are the stock 417 ramps, no real wear showing at all. However i did notice that the roller pins are hollow and threaded on the inside, and there is nothing threaded into them. I see in the factory parts diagram the 600 HO summit calls for a "pressure screw" that should be in there?? I'm pretty new to this clutching stuff so i dodn't know if they should truly be there and what effect they have, though it would stand to reason they would effect the weight of the roller end of the arm, though i don't know how much. Thoughts?

Snow Duck

The Great and Mighty SnowDuck
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2009
Kuna Idaho to Elk City Idaho..
the threads in the pin are so you can add and take away weight ie in grams will change the rpm....how is the spring tension?? collapsed by chance! that would make a difference.

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
I have taken the clutch apart again, the arms are in properly, and moving freely, all the rollers look good and move freely. it has the stock green/white spring, the ramps are the stock 417 ramps

The primary spring task is to determine(s) 3 functions
1)engagement rpms (start of shifting)
2)engine rated rpms (during full throttle)
3)full shift rpms (end of shifting)

IF green/white reveals 5100-5200 engagement rpms
THEN lower the spring start force.
Green/White = 200/380
There is available 160/380 purple pink.
That should lower rpms at least by 300
I have no doubt that if you go to the 160 start force then your engagement will be down to a more managable 4600~4700

And if you want to mellow the engagement out and lower it more, then put a 412 ramp in it and go from there. I laid up a 412 vs 417 and shows how smooth the start of the 412 ramp is. The 417 has a slight little hump that will cause engagement to be higher with very light pinweight.

A little trick for lowering engagment on a spline clutch (Note: this is for seasoned tuners)

"pressure screw" = "setscrew"

Last edited:
Premium Features