• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thinking about a turboed phazer... Pros? cons? Good idea? Bad idea?

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
I have an D8 right now, was thinking once it sells go m8, but looking at a Turboed phazer now too. My dad had an 07 attack for a while. Stock. And i like the four stroke. Only been on a phazer once, for a short while, but liked it. Just needed some power. I can get Turboed 07s brand new for nine. Or a used 08 MCX turboed one used, claimed 170 hp for 14000. How many guys run these things with a turbo? How reliable are they at around 150 hp? Im only interested in pump gas setups. What are guys running for tracks on these things seeing as its a narrow foot print? Just looking for any and all feed back and info you might have. Cant do much research as i have to do this on my phone right now. But figured i would still ask here.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Turboed Phazers work well...............with a different front end, different shocks, different rear skid, different track, different skis, a turbo or supercharger etc. The problem is that you will spend $16000-18000 (all new parts) on a Phazer MTX turbo, when you can buy a Dragon 800, an M8, or an M1000 used and turbo them and be complete for around $12000.

Also, talk to some guys that have them for input. How is the resale market? Not good from what I know. Great little sled, but I don't think it is the correct starting point for what you want.

I have built a couple and at the end of the day felt like I had wasted both my time and my customers money.

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
Turboed Phazers work well...............with a different front end, different shocks, different rear skid, different track, different skis, a turbo or supercharger etc. The problem is that you will spend $16000-18000 (all new parts) on a Phazer MTX turbo, when you can buy a Dragon 800, an M8, or an M1000 used and turbo them and be complete for around $12000.

Also, talk to some guys that have them for input. How is the resale market? Not good from what I know. Great little sled, but I don't think it is the correct starting point for what you want.

I have built a couple and at the end of the day felt like I had wasted both my time and my customers money.

Thanks good info. Thats why i asked. Can i nitro be a good sled turboed, with out much other mods? Not looking for more than 200 hp. But stock nitro wouldn't work for me. Just looking at all my options.

I

Irideyamaha

Nov 13, 2008
If you like your D8 what about putting a turbo on it? You already have the sled and your used to it and from what i heard they don't work too bad.

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
If you like your D8 what about putting a turbo on it? You already have the sled and your used to it and from what i heard they don't work too bad.

I do like it. Problem is i dont trust it anymore. To many problems with it already. (5 motors in 1200 miles, voltage reg, ECM, pipe senser, and so on.) polaris has almost ten grand worth of warranty work in it already. Thats why im selling. Im not looking for much more power than i have now, just something that will compare or beat it by a bit. But not anything with 250 hp. I want 150 to 200 max. Sounds like my options are pump gas nitro with low boost, or piped m8. Not very interested in a m1000. If i were to go nitro, It would get a track, skid, front end, Maybe tunnel too in time. But not for quite some time for sure. How do you think i would i like a pump gas nitro at say five pounds? Other wise pretty much stock? I dont need the badest sled. I just need one that will have no problems keeping up with and going head to head with a group of 8's. And four stroke is very inviting. Apex is also not my sled. I boondock almost all day long. So the nitro would work. Just not sure if its my best option.

grimis99

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I would have to say go for the nytro or the m8. The nytro with a low boost kit would be something good to start with cause it is easily upgraded to a 240 or 270 kit. The most you can reliably get out of the phazer would be around 140-150hp. I dont think it really matters if you run better fuel and higher boost. It just becomes more of a bomb. I just finished building one myself(tphazer), already had the sled paid for. Its what i really wanted so i went for it and only time will tell if it was worth it. Resale on them isnt that great either, turbo or not.

T

toony

Dec 17, 2007
Killam, Alberta
No phazer

My buddy has a phazer McXpress turbo....Waste of money. (and Time) Stock XP will beat a turbo phazer. Low boost nytro is the way to go. You do'nt have to change anything else on the sled if you just want 200 hp. Just my .02

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
My buddy has a phazer McXpress turbo....Waste of money. (and Time) Stock XP will beat a turbo phazer. Low boost nytro is the way to go. You do'nt have to change anything else on the sled if you just want 200 hp. Just my .02

Sweet thanks for the info guys. I guess ill start looking at the nitro a bit more. I would end up costing me more after the turbo, but might be worth it. I want to ride one first though before i buy anything. I off a chassis i will like not just a motor. :)

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
You can pick up lower boost used nytro's halways cheap right now with the basic skid/track mods done to em. they are interested for me handling wise coming off a DOO but I like em, if you get a chance to take one out and try one, there pretty cool sleds. and something like the ulmer turbo setup if you bought a non-turbo one would be ideal, or find a used one with a medium boost setup and turn it down and enjoy it and have the power on tap. its always fun to have more, but a lot of times you dont need 250hp.. just fun to have on tap. or a thought is if your lookin for lower boost/pwer, dont rule out superchargers, I have ridden with one a few times and man, that thing rips it up.

skibumm

Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2004
Utah
Get the Nytro and throw a stand alone pump gas kit from Impulse and be done with it. You could always do skid/tunnel/track later. Nytros are wicked with Paul's stand alone kit!:eek:

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
Right now I am thinking if my D8 sells, I'll buy a pretty much stock nitro, (if I can't find a lower boosted one for a good price) Ride it till I can afford a turbo, turbo it, then after do the rest. Like skid, track, tunnle, front end maybe. Keep in mind I'm only 17. Coming off a stock 800. I would never go smaller than the 150 hp range as I have been riding sleds on my own since I was four. lol I grew up on them so a turbo doesn't worry me, if it's reasonable hp. 240-270 right now just scares me. I don't think I can handle that, not to mention I don't need it. But I can see how you mean it would be nice to have on tap when your feeling crazy. Hearing a lot of good stuff about the Impulse stuff. What can a guy run for low boost? Does he have a kit comparable to the MCX 180 kit? I'm not looking for anything more than 200 hp. But I plan to keep this sled for years. So being able to upgrade easily to a 240ish setup would be nice. Just in case I get to the point where I would be able to safely handle that. I see the impulse kit comes with a head shim, I would rather not touch the motor. I want to run low enough boost that I can run the stock motor, at close to sea level, on pump gas. That's what I'm looking for. But I also see my closest GOOD Yamaha dealer deals impulse, so that would be nice to have their service if needed. Granted they are five hours away, but still the closest good dealer option I have.

As far as riding a nitro to see what the chassis is like, there is one around here. Stock. Sort of know the guy, so that might work. But if I go turbo I would be the only one around here with one. So riding a turboed nitro is totally out of the question. but I would love to at least see what the chassis is like.

Last edited:
Premium Features