• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Windshield - Why?

C

crooklyn

Aug 27, 2009
Prince George, BC
Any major reason on why to have a windshield?
I know there are vents that the windshield keeps snow from plugging up, but i see so many zx's with no windshields.

mine is cracked but wondering if i should trim it down or just get rid of it.

what do you guys recommend?

M

mannix

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 4, 2008
I took mine off because it makes it easier to get unstuck (roll it out of the hole), plus, every time I did something stupid (pretty common occurrence), the windshield flew off and the cracks grew.

I do notice it's absence when going faster on roads, but that's such a small part of my typical riding day I don't worry about it.

I've never had any issues with snow buildup.

Iain

AkSledHed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 12, 2009
Eagle River, Ak
Another reason not to have a windshield, when your riding in the deep pow the snow tends to go over the windshield and into your face. I found that out about 3 weeks ago and have given serious thought into taking mine off.

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
so no real reason other then branches in the face?
tx

huh? branches in face w/o a windshield?

i dunno of many windshields that will protect my face from branches when i'm standing up and riding.

it will be colder on the trail, no doubt.

ran a zx w/ a v. low windshield, you could still duck behind it for protection.
ran a rev w/ a v. low (really non existant) windshield, no way to find protection from the wind...just suck it up and keep hand warmers on burn.
run a nytro w/o a windshield, and taller bars...same deal as the rev...

i dislike trails and wind, and generally have cold/frozen fingers at some point during the ride in/out..

not that a windshield will do much for hand protection anyway with 8" + risers on most current sleds.

oh, and most stock windshields will just dump snow into your face/neck/chest and pile up between your legs and such... way annoying in the DEEEEP. windshields generally are there to PROTECT you from the elements...not...direct the elements onto your person! hah

Last edited:
Another reason not to have a windshield, when your riding in the deep pow the snow tends to go over the windshield and into your face. I found that out about 3 weeks ago and have given serious thought into taking mine off.

Depends on how tall you are... with a mid windshield the snow will only hit me in the chest... not in my face! The windshield keeps the intake vents clean but I also have SLP vent in the dash next to the speedo which also helps

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
I'm not crazy about the looks of a sled with no wind shield.

Plus the cover goes nuts when hauling down the road with no wind shield.

M
Nov 12, 2008
Flathead
I just took my stock windshield off and used a jigsaw to cut it down to more of a "low profile" look. Took some windshield trim to cover the edge.. 15 minute job and it totally gives the sled a different look..:D

B
May 20, 2008
Newfoundland
When I bought my Renegade the windshield was busted on it (sled was flipped at some point). I only used the windshield on my first 2 rides or so (got my sled at the end of a season) then I took it off. Put on some handguards to keep my fingers from freezing while on windy trails/going fast. Never had a problem with my vents filling up with snow.

Snowmobile083.jpg

^^From the end of the last season, before my new bar setup/rear shocks/track.

deboer

Lifetime Membership
Jan 5, 2009
Archer, IA (Northwest IA)
i took mine off just because i think it looks cooler with out it on

also i was riding in some deep powder w/out the windsheld and the snow was hitting me in the chest i'm about 5' 11'' and with the windsheld it would more or less hit me right in the face

Last edited:
J

JustinB

Dec 21, 2008
I just took my stock windshield off and used a jigsaw to cut it down to more of a "low profile" look. Took some windshield trim to cover the edge.. 15 minute job and it totally gives the sled a different look..:D

Do you have a pic I want to cut mine down but not sure where to cut"?

M
Nov 12, 2008
Flathead
Yeah sure I think I have a pic from when I first cut it.

Ill try to download it for ya.

I just took blue masking tape and a tape measure, made a line a couple times until I found a height I liked and hacked it.. I think its good enough:rolleyes:

H

HANDSOME

Nov 28, 2007
Pouce Coupe
http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr277/mcgow-c/P1130771.jpg[/IMG
With my windshield the pow hit mein the neck.. the one part uncovered. Now tell me that a windshield looks better than this. If you think that .. go back to the 80s.

K
Sep 21, 2001
Having a windshield helps the air flow thru the hood vents, by allowing the air to flow thru the vents by the guages. Taking the windshield off will disrupt airflow and cause higher tempuratures under the hood.

Premium Features