• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Your thoughts on porting the attack 20???

Jul 22, 2009
Hey guys, been reading about porting tracks in general and I am considering porting my 162" Attack 20 (in the powder position). It's on the King Cat. Currently running a 2 wheel kit. What are your thoughts on porting? Is it worth the effort? Pros/Cons? What have you had success with - 3 in the middle and 1 on each outside?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

H
Sep 2, 2009
yeah i was interested in doing the same thing on the same sled and track... when u say powder position what are you talking about?

Jul 22, 2009
Hobie - I believe that all tracks came in the powder position, so if you haven't changed your track then it is likely already in the powder position. The powder position is the the paddles are actually angled/cupped slightly towards the front of the sled on the bottom side of the rails. It helps prevent trenching this way. Packs the powder rather than scooping it out from under you, if you will. The 'hillclimb' position is when the track is flipped so that the paddles are angled/cupped slightly toward the rear of the sled. Although I've never run it in the hillclimb, I hear it trenches real bad, doesn't brake worth a crap, and throws a mean roostertail. Climbs well supposedly in more set up snow.

Also, if you look closely down the centerlin of your track, I believe that it is labeled somewhere. I know mine is...

Anyone have thoughts on porting?

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
I ported my 153 A20 with 2 holes down the middle between the 2 inner rear idlers. Make a template of where the internal drive cogs are, where the wheels are, etc...I used cardboard and made like 3 of them. Use a couple clamps to hold the template to the track, get a BDX track porting tool and 45 minutes later you'll be done...if you take your time. Smells like **** so you'll want to do it in a well ventilated area. Weighed all the plugs when I was done, saved ~2.25 lbs and the track rolled WAY easier than before.

T
Oct 15, 2009
SE idaho
just got done with the first ride with the track flipped in a good four feet of powder with not much of a base so did not get off the trail to much. I think it performs better flipped no real notice in breaking loss and hard pack and it does throw one of the biggest rooster tails(got a free longer snow flap from the guy who rode behind me). Does some what trench out of the hole but gets me moving faster out of the hole and climbs great. a friend of mine roasted his to stand the paddles up and it seems to help him but im not brave enough because it will peel the paddles off if you get it too hot. tried porting his and says he hates it and seems like on slow speed in powder it feels like he losses flotation all the sudden and compared to mine it did not help him with less snow in the skid. seems like a good way to ruin a perfectly good track and is a pain and smells horrible.

I would NOT port the attack 20 without putting the rail tip rollers on 1st.

My 05 King stabbed the track doing a low speed pop over a drift. Only doing about 10mph and blamo....bent rails and dead track.

If I replace my track I will put in a 16" wide model but the Attack 20 in Dig mode is fine. After 2 years the paddles are pretty much straight. It does trench a lil easier in deep pow so you have to feather it a little more.

Good luck.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Layton Utah
When I had one I ported it and liked it.

If you are going to run it backwards do it now and it will straighten itself over time or you can straighten it yourself.

They really hook up.

Jul 22, 2009
Yellowsnow

Yellowsnow- can you ( or anyone else out there) recommend a good supplier for an anti-stab kit. Didn't see one on the BDX website. Haven't looked too much elsewhere but figured I'd reach out to you guys while I was in this forum. Thanks in advance.

D
Nov 29, 2007
MN
Is your '05 an early build or late? Mine was an early build and when I blew my driveshaft bearing and wrecked my drivers I upgraded to the exvolute drivers that came on the later models. I also swapped to the later build end caps and added an anti-stab from hi-perf. Couple of links below on it:

I ordereed the 900-183 part number:
http://hiperf.com/acatalog/Snowmobile_Catalog_Racing_Products_80.html

And here is another thread on cutting the rails which I didn't do:
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117116

Premium Features