• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MTX weights

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
any one using SLP MTX on their D8T was gonna try them this season ,,right now I am using modified polaris weights

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
any one using SLP MTX on their D8T was gonna try them this season ,,right now I am using modified polaris weights

I tried the 68 gram MTX's on my 2007 D-7 121" track (64 GRAMS STOCK) tried it with the stock primary and SLP's recommended stiffer primary.

The sled "lost" it's responsiveness on bottom and mid-range, took 'em out went back to stock. No gain on top, loser all the way around.

I had the 68 gram MTX's in my modded 2002 800 EDGE-X worked GREAT!!

and yes I did re-shim the spyder to correct the side clearance to compensate for the different profile design on the MTX's

I usually have a lot of success w/SLP I called them on this issue, they still claim the MTX's are the way to go, I just couldn't get'em to work for me?:confused:???

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
Its a delima ,,on one hand you want the weight heavy enough to load the motor so the turbo will spool and on the other we want light and a flatter profile on the arm so it responsive to the throttle Ihave been using 10-74 and grinding a smoother engagement on the heel but I was looking for some adjustability guess I will think about it some more

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
I too had great luck with SLP stuff in my old big block motors but in the 727 they sucked, to much slippage , went back to stock poo and a helix change and really wok it up then tried the mtx's again and back to slipping

Avi8tormd

Premium Member
May 31, 2008
BOISE, IDAHO
I am using the belly busters and they seem to work well in my D8 155. I don't know much about the MTX weights.

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
i tried the mtx's and i couldnt get any combo to work near as good as the series 10 polaris weights. right now i have a set of 76gram series 10's with a custom grind down to 74.5 and it pulls like raped ape finally

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
i tried the mtx's and i couldnt get any combo to work near as good as the series 10 polaris weights. right now i have a set of 76gram series 10's with a custom grind down to 74.5 and it pulls like raped ape finally
sound like we are about at the same point ,,are yiou using a 150/310 spring????about 4400rpm engagenent and final shift at about 8100-8200 rpm,,Im using the SLP/OVS race pipe

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
i have the team pink spring which is a 180-320, engagement is right around 4500rpms and final shift out is right around 8150, so i'd say we're pretty damn close... have you ran you sled with out the slp turbo pipe? did you notice that big of a difference from one to the other? i rode a different sled than mine last year for a bit that had one and couldnt really tell if it was worth the money to get one or not

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
the turbo pipe from OVS has a larger stinger not shure what ID but its bigger than the stock stinger and it really woke up the mid and top end but the stock pipe seemed to have better low end especially around engagement. now ask me about my modified stock pipe!!!!!

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
modified stock pipe huh? now were talking my launguage... whatd you change? just a larger down pipe to the turbo? have you put a larger exit pipe coming off the turbo? i know theres a bunch of guys going to 3" exhaust off the turbo for a more free flowing exhuast with less backpressure? lets see some pics of the exhuast too! and since you started the post i dont feel like a dick for hi-jacking and changing the subject... lets here it

Super Dave3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2003
Klamath Falls OR
Modified Pipe

modified stock pipe huh? now were talking my launguage... whatd you change? just a larger down pipe to the turbo? have you put a larger exit pipe coming off the turbo? i know theres a bunch of guys going to 3" exhaust off the turbo for a more free flowing exhuast with less backpressure? lets see some pics of the exhuast too! and since you started the post i dont feel like a dick for hi-jacking and changing the subject... lets here it

Guess Kawgrn doesn't want to give away any secrets huh?;):beer;:beer;

B
Dec 21, 2007
Are MTX the same as Lightening

I bought a 660 RMK from Tri-City it has some kind of SLP weights. They set all their sled up with them. These have three holes in them are they MTX or Lightening weights ? Is there a difference. My sled seemed to run great with them.

B
Nov 26, 2007
so what did you do different than the rest of us???? did you reshim the spider differently ,did you grind the weight ??

I have done both, shim spider and grind the weight. I am running them also right now in my polaris big block 800 turbo powered sand rail. They work awesome!

S
Dec 23, 2007
British Columbia
I've used these in a few sleds, no turbos. They seemed to be "zippier" initially than a 10 series Polaris. That being said, they should work nice in the turbo to help light the boost stick. If you line an MTX up beside a 10 series, heel to toe, you can see the difference in the face profile. I can't say that they do not work, but at the same time, I can't say that I think they are worth the extra money over the 10-** Polaris weights. Just my .25$ :)

Premium Features