• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Issues with 2002 Mountain Cat 800 EFI

M

mblanken881

Nov 27, 2007
Sioux City, IA
My buddy was riding his '02 Mountain Cat 800 EFI a couple weeks back and it just quit on him. He said it just slowly started losing power and then quit. Now, when he tries to start it, it will start and run but then back fire and quit again. Any ideas? Thanks, Mike.

T
Nov 26, 2007
Helena,MT
Check the fuel filters in the tank. There are 2 of them. You can fish them out with a coat hanger or take the fuel pump out. They are cheap to replace and the beat place to start. If they are collapsed then you need new ones. Hope this helps.

Kory

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Check the fuel filters in the tank. There are 2 of them. You can fish them out with a coat hanger or take the fuel pump out. They are cheap to replace and the beat place to start. If they are collapsed then you need new ones. Hope this helps.

Kory

If replacing the screens don't help, you could have a fuel pump going out too. Check the pressure and flow. Should be at least 45lbs. I think new they were around 52 lbs., but they run better a little less.

T

twistedtunnel

Dec 6, 2007
definately fuel pump, I went through 3 or 4 of them on one of my 02 Mcats, same situation. You could try jumping the fuel pump to get it started.

D
Dec 8, 2008
I was just going to say that it blew up. My buddies 04 MC 600 did the exact same thing at 634 miles. All maintenance was done right, correct fuel, water remover in the gas, etc. I guess these things just happen. Good Luck getting it going again.

Premium Features