• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TPS question

Mar 6, 2008
My 16 axys 800 pro rmk has not been idling right when cold. I did the TPS and udjusted it. I couldn’t get base to .70, had to settle with .71, i got the .94 with no problem. However it still idles to low1,100 - 1,200 and wants to die. I tride bumping up the idle with the adjuster on the cable but before I could get it to where i want it the TPS at the throttle lever shuts the machine off. If I hold the throttle just enough to disengage the TPS its ok but as soon as I let go it’ll die. So here’s my question. I am going to change the .940 adjustment and I belive I need to go lower, say .920. Any techy guys understand this and have any insight?

N
Aug 27, 2012
Bend, OR
Why couldn't you get the base set to .700? This is likely your problem since it idles low. You need to open the throttle blades more which means lowering the base setting. I currently have mine set to .690 and .940 to get it to idle well.
Ian

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
What Ian says!! Think about where the throttle plate is in the adjustment! fully closed at .700 and then not touching the TPS and opening the idle position to get the tps voltage to that idle voltage sets the idle rpm. So if your idle is low then set the closed throttle voltage slightly lower and this raised the idle rpm at the .91 v setting.
Also, I assume that the break in mileage/time has been reached on your machine.
gtwitch in wyoming

Mar 6, 2008
Why couldn't you get the base set to .700? This is likely your problem since it idles low. You need to open the throttle blades more which means lowering the base setting. I currently have mine set to .690 and .940 to get it to idle well.
Ian

The tps was all the way as far as it would go, when I moved it the opposite way the voltage increased. .71 was as low as i could get it

N
Aug 27, 2012
Bend, OR
Did you disconnect the throttle cable when doing the adjustment? Something is wrong here, because I can adjust mine way lower than .700, if I remember correctly it went all the way down into the .5** Range. Should be a lot of adjustment. The throttle cable may be holding your throttle open, disconnect it at the flipper.
Ian

nater24

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2010
I've adjusted my TPS as I'm having the same low idle issue and even to the point where it will just die up in the mountains if I don't blip the throttle. I set my base to .700 and have played with the idle setting. I first adjusted it to .940 and that just didn't do it as it continued to die really badly. I kept increasing the the idle setting to where it will idle most of the time in the garage but up at elevation it still wants to die without blipping the throttle and I've gone as high as I can go on the idle setting (I'm up to .958 now) without the safety switch killing the motor. I've tried almost everything else other than replacing the TPS.

Would you guys say to simply continue to lower the base setting below .700?

My other thought is maybe my EGT sensor is going out and causing this issue?

Any thoughts

PS I do have the Side Kick turbo but saw this thread and wanted to get some input as I'm pretty convinced that it's not a turbo issue.

N
Aug 27, 2012
Bend, OR
Nater24 - I think what you are doing by increasing the idle setting is increasing fuel along with the idle air gap on the throttle bodies, I think you need to lean out the idle a bit. I would set your base setting lower, like .680 and idle at .940, like I did with mine and if it idles great but a little high then adjust it back up a little, I ended up at .690 and .940.
Ian

nater24

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2010
Nater24 - I think what you are doing by increasing the idle setting is increasing fuel along with the idle air gap on the throttle bodies, I think you need to lean out the idle a bit. I would set your base setting lower, like .680 and idle at .940, like I did with mine and if it idles great but a little high then adjust it back up a little, I ended up at .690 and .940.
Ian

That’s what I’ll try. Thanks for the reply Ian!!

Premium Features