• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cold Weather - Runnability Issues

150+ or nothin

Mar 1, 2011
My holdover 16 rmk has the following issues when it is cold:

-Multiple pulls to start. Gets worse after riding on warm restart (7-10 hard pulls)
-Backfire on restart
-Bogging mid rpm when on/off throttle (bad enough to go over the bars)

It seems to clear up at -10F and above. Dealer says TPS is on and is trying to bill me $142 of labor to check it. Since it doesn't do it when warmer than -10F they can't replicate the problem. Polaris is blaming fuel but all sleds in the group filled at the same high volume station selling 91 non-eth and nobody else has issues. Dealer says they will void warranty if I set TPS by myself.

What else can I check and how would everybody handle this?

Butta

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Find a different dealer! Sled's not running right and they don't fix it but want to charge you money for it...they wouldn't get a penny from me again.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
That mid range cut out is almost always water in the connections above the primary clutch. Check and dry out all of those, apply Di-elec grease sparingly, and orientate the connections in a way that they won't collect/hold water. The temp is likely just a coincidence on that one.

Also - I've noticed sometimes applying just a little bit of throttle helps with starting when it's super cold.

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
Sleds under warranty and they are charging you to "check" that the tps is on per the digital wrench which only checked 1 of 2 settings? Find a different dealer...

Premium Features