• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 Axys Improvement Wish List

150+ or nothin

Mar 1, 2011
The Axys is a very nice sled, but I thought it would be cool if everybody posted their wish list for easy changes to the 2018 Axys rmk. In order the changes that I think would be the easiest/cheapest fix with the most impact:

1) More accurately calibrated TPS including base setting. Buyers provided calibration numbers on purchase.
2) Better electrical connections to exhaust valves. Corrosion seems to be an issue.
3) Enlarge the stock dash storage deeper into the sled and seal it. It is intended to thaw a pair of goggles but they don't fit. If they get smashed in they still don't thaw.
4) Change spindle design. It does drag in the snow excessively when the sled is on one ski. They have also been occasionally snapping off. Follow the aftermarket.
5) Better shocks on non-le model. Not sure what the best bang for the buck is but at least some different valving should be cheap with a very big impact.
6) Center the motor in the chassis more. When you lose 20 lbs of exhaust off the right side of the sled it gets way out of balance. (Turbo guys might not like this but it is down on the list)

I hope you listen to these folks Polaris!!! Let's hear everybody's ideas!!

P
Nov 30, 2015
SE Idaho
Just the short list:

1. A tether....for the last time!
2. Clip the track on the paddles not the open windows at a minimum, or fully clip it.
3. Close the snow flap holes, that is just dumb, it loses cooling and ices up the bumper.
4. Ditch the carbon rear bumper and beef up the front bumper mounts.
5. Make the center mountain stap/handle replaceable without new handle bars.
6. Painted tunnels like every other manufacturer.
7. Standby the warranty they claim to offer.

P
Nov 30, 2015
SE Idaho
More short list:

1. Raise the leg breaking toe loops.
2. Integrated seat storage (stock).
3. Better electrical throughout and use real wire protection not the junk that is on it now, some of it looks like fish net material.
4. Front cooler option on PROs.
5. Better front suspension bushings (bronze), there is way to much slop.
6. Fix the gripper ski damper issue so they don't explode (more width?).

W

Wood

Dec 7, 2007
20% reduction in MSRP be ok by me...

You should NOT be able to buy a new car for less than a snowmobile, IMO.

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
- Highest quality electrical components available, if it adds $100 a sled it would be worth it.
-More shock options for Snowcheck
- Would like to see some sort of limited edition Snowcheck sled with factory mods, maybe even a factory turbo.

Other then whats already been mentioned I don't have much I would change about my Axys...

M
Jan 28, 2008
NW Montana
Wood. I agree.!!!! The pricing of these sleds are insane. I know Lot of people that have just checked out of snowmobiling because it's just to expensive. I also know a large group that has sold there high priced sleds and bought older used sleds ( Yamaha Phazer) and just learned to be content and have fun. It's sad when the quality, durability and longevity do NOT match the price and on top of that you pay 14k for a new sled, ride it for 4 months and the following season it's worth 9500.00 At best.
Just my .02

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
20% reduction in MSRP be ok by me...

You should NOT be able to buy a new car for less than a snowmobile, IMO.

This is my list! Lower the damn pricing!!!!! I can live with everything else but the prices are getting so high and the depreciation is so bad its crazy! you loose 30% of what you paid for it in a few months. Eric

schaef_12

Lifetime Membership
Sep 7, 2011
Here is what I would like to see, and most of these points have already been made.

1. Tether!!

2. Better Shocks from the factory, especially for snow check models

3. Real bumpers. The rear bumper is worthless.

4. Better protection for the snowcheck buyers. You shouldn't be able to get a better deal on an in season model within the same model year.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Specify that Walker Evans use full synthetic shock-oil in all the rebuildable model shocks that they make for our sleds... pennies per shock.
"Old faithful" red mineral-oil used in the shocks has not shown to be very durable... and is probably one of the easiest to implement improvements that you could make in production.

RE-examine the approach to the electrical system... specifically, more flexible, finer-strand quality and a new approach to assembly methods, with better integration of electrical connectors. Do away with any of the open Yazaki connectors. Also that Ground bundle... on a crash prone mounting... would be good to move it.

The electrical systems 'durability in use', in the world of your loyal customer base, is actually a concern.

Though, this is probably, at this time of year... a moot point for 2018.... but for 2019...HMM...

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Polaris Industries DOES look at these threads.

AND....

For our users... Polaris engineers and marketing actually DO look at threads like this.

If you keep your replies rational, and reasonable.... then it will not be "glossed over" by those people... and have more of a chance at being seriously considered.

Be specific... "better" is pretty darn vague.

Just my 2¢

Last edited:

Solby

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
Remove PI 800 and install 850 Etec and Pdrive clutch into Axys chassis. Customers would pay big bucks for that!

Shorten running board length. Have a shock upgrade option that really is a good upgrade. Offer 37" ski stance. Have a lighter weight track that is about 2.8" with belt drive. Balance the sled left to right. Powdercoat tunnel. Possibly have cooler design like new skidoo tunnel. Build a stronger throttle block.

150+ or nothin

Mar 1, 2011
Wish List

6) Fix area where back of running board attaches to tunnel. It accumulates snow and ice. Do this by cutting away some of the tunnel material not being used to add much structural ridgidity to the board. There is a mod on a thread here I saw a few weeks ago I am thinking about.

7) Fix snow/ice accumulation at the very front of running board by opening it up slightly more by starting the first angled piece slightly further back.

8) Increase heat capacity of hand warmers. Mountain sleds can't have hand guards or windshields or they break when the sled is rolled to get unstuck. Current state -10F or colder you need very heavy gloves or mittens. It is more difficult to ride in bulky mittens.

9) Offer an under hood bag to defrost Goggles like pro chassis had. Cats meow. Lots of people are modifying old bags. Might as well make some
Money on this. Dash compartment doesn't work so this is important.

Agree with fixing pad between ski/spindle, eliminate holes in flap, eliminate carbon rear bumper (I have no prob with front but want to use the rear occasionally), different shock oil, and most other reasonable requests above.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
This is my list! Lower the damn pricing!!!!! I can live with everything else but the prices are getting so high and the depreciation is so bad its crazy! you loose 30% of what you paid for it in a few months. Eric

Just go on my program. I like to buy high and sell low. It works like a charm. Never get stuck with one.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Realistically ....

- factory high quality tether
- option of narrower stance for snowcheck
- high-end shock upgrade available for Snowcheck
- painted tunnels on all models
- longer lasting bushings/rubbers
- build MANY less regular season models to start correcting the excessive carry-over situation that is killing everyone's resale and completely over-saturating the market

I think that and a few smaller improvements listed above like bushing and electrical upgrades are not crazy at all.

Last edited:
Premium Features