• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

primary belt ?

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
Has anybody ran aftermarket belt vs Polaris belt in a side by side test to see if there is any performance gain or loss? I know it would have to have been in the pro chassis.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Has anybody ran aftermarket belt vs Polaris belt in a side by side test to see if there is any performance gain or loss? I know it would have to have been in the pro chassis.

TRS has and his review has a lot of people starting to follow suit. search by user name or part number in the PRO Ride forum. i don't recall the exact title.

P.S. Make sure the part number has the "C", as Gates offers a cheaper version with nearly the same part number but the "C" is a "G". And the G comes up in most searches because it so close.

W

Wood

Dec 7, 2007
My experience with aftermarket belts...and I've tried many, is that typically a clutching change is required due to compound differences. It's never been a straight switch....most times. I'm very curious to see how the Gates carbon works out, based on TRS' feedback. If it's a true 'drop in' replacement then we are good.

At this point, it seems strange that there is so much questioning on what the belt and final C to C is for the RMK Axis....shouldn't be a mystery. Anxiously awaiting confirmation.

Belts for the New Machines

There is no confusion on the c to c on the new RMK Axys. It is the same as the Pro, and the belts are dimensionally the same, but are a different compound. I think the confusion people are having is that the flatlander sleds and the mountain sleds (Both called Axys) use a different belt. The Rush and Switchback still use the 3211177 Belt, and the RMK/Assault models use the 3211183 belt. Since we have both flatlanders and mountain riders referring to their Axys, we are comparing apples to oranges.

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca

Yes, here is my experience:

Gates (not new carbon), Carlisle and Cat 048 compared to stock.

Stock works well until cords pull at only 200-400 miles of tough riding.
Gates and Carlisle work well and no RPM changes are obvious. They seem like a harder compound that is durable but wow when they do go they make a huge mess and completely explode. You can destroy your belt guard or foot screen. Really no warning when this happens.
For the Cat 048, this has been our favorite but is is a bit softer and wears evenly and doesn't pull strings often or never seen one explode. The softer compound seems to be easier on clutch sheaves but you will find yourself adjusting up the secondary more often due to a looser belt from quicker wear. Surprisingly the RPMs are still good with this softer compound too.

On my new AXYS, I will use the Cat belt too. I rather change a belt due to wear than a clutch. The expensive stock belt will be the back-up.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Not if you already have 4 brand new 1115's laying around

Yep Dealer gave me 2 new spare 115 belts when I bought my hold overr 14 Pro.
Bought 2 more from Oregon Trail when she was having her blowout sale-
I still have my 14 so no sense getting any extra belts since they will go on the Axys-
I never had any issues with 115 belt's 1,200 mountain riding miles last year ! /

I have several 048 Cat belts from the M series day's that are new- and they worked well on the pro last year - way soft- but worked as well as 115

Belts are getting upwards in price- and on my 2013 M1100 Turbo pushing 340- HP when a $300.00 EVO Gates belt pops there is Nothing left but 2" square chunks!!

Them new Polaris belts wont fix stupid no matter how expensive they get.

S/C

Last edited:
D
We have measured dozens of 1183 belts and they all come in at 1.421 wide. The new Axys clutch's are set up for the 115 belts at 1.46. As I see it .040" Belt to Sheave clearance is way too much. The 183 belt is very close to the old 080 IQ belt width.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
I ran the Dayco XTX5020 on my '16 Axys all last season and it's still on for this season. I didn't have any issues with it, but I did send my primary to CCP (DLynn) to have their Happy Face lite weight cover installed, sheave angles check/trued, belt to sheave clearance set, and then spin balanced.

Johnny T.

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2007
Arlington MN
The C to C is the same from the pro's to the Axys. However the sheave angles are different. The long and short of it is you can't interchange the belts as you will wreck the belts and eventually the clutches as well.

Premium Features