• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cylinder scuffing. What level is acceptable ?

I recently took my stock pipe off my 2005 fusion 900 to heat paint it. While the y pipe was off i took a good look into the exahust port to inspectg the cylinder & piston... Now this machine is running great and have had no problems.
I noticed some scuffing on the cylinder wall and piston has a couple streeks on it. I was able to touch the piston and felt no groove,, it's more like a streek stain, but looks like you shouls feel it.

I did buy this used,, and noticed there was no coolant in resivour when i got it. I assume it ran hot some time w/ the previous owner which could have been the cause.

Anyfeedback ?

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
If you cannot feel it, I wouldn't worry about it.

Is the cylinder wall scuffed or the piston?

Any chance you can post photos?

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
If you can't feel the streak on the piston or the cylinder don't worry about it. Check the compression and if it's good don't worry about it. If you're really concerned, hone the cylinder and put new rings in but you are probably fine.

It's already back together,, but it was nothing i could feel.. Only thing i coule think of was the previous owner just drove it,,, he did bring it to dealer for all the updates,, and i noticed the coolant resviour cap does not seal well and dribbles.... When i got it i topped off the coolant,, then had to adda little more,, so i assume a bubble....... Maybe he drove it w/ bubble and it got hot. I notced nothing over 180 when at a stop at idel.

smoothdawg

Premium Member
Apr 7, 2008
Spokane, WA.
Do a compression test.
Take the spark plug out and shine a piston wash light in the cylnder.
I would rather tear it apart now while there is no snow on the ground.
JMO

top of piston had carbon deposit and was black.

It runs so well i don't think there is a compression problem. 2 pulls cold starts every time. When hot 1-2 pulls. Dont have compression tester.
I smoke everyone, and no belt issues.

All the talk about its a tank,etc... I drive this thing like a jet ski on the trail.

Premium Features