• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

best way to raise the bars on an 86' indy400???

N

northerns4

Nov 21, 2008
hey all

picked up an old 86 indy 400 with a cutom long track setup on it, 146x2". trying to freshin it up a it and have it as a beater sled.

ive ordered new shocks front and rear, new skiis, and a couple other things for it. trying to set it up for powder as best as possible.

anyhow onto the handle bars, whats the best method for raising them on this? the stock ones are welded to the steering post/stem. not as easy as just unbolting them and putting a riser block in. ive thought about just cutting them off and welding in a 6" extension, but perhaps there s abetter way?

is there any sort of riser block that would mount similar to the steering stem on a newer bike?? like just kinda clamp onto the steering post (if i were to cut my old bars off) and clamp some newer bars onto those?

what do you all think???

F

freak58trio

Nov 26, 2007
Sumner,Washington
Cut the handle bars off to where there is a "T" then put your riser on
from there . You will have to lengthen all your wires depending on how tall of riser you use.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
The best thing to do is to buy a steering post for a 93ish 440 or 500 and put it in and covert to the clamp style top. That way you can put a riser on and different bars.

sled_guy

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
a possibly cheaper way to go the route sled_guy mentioned is if you have access to a welder just cut the old bars off and weld a plate to the top of the steering post then mark and drill holes and you now have the newer clamp on style post.

N

northerns4

Nov 21, 2008
i think im gonna try to go the second route you just mentioned vern, simialr to what sled_guy suggested. access to a welder shouldnt be an issue. if i were to swap posts with a 93ish 440/500 would it be a direct bolt in swap or would i need any other hardware?

so other then welding a plate on, drilling some holes and bolting on a riser with new bars, what is all needed to lengthen my wires? are there kits to extend the wires i have? or would i have to order a longer set of new wires? seems like if there are anysort of cable extensions that may be the cheaper route then whole new ones...

any suggestion on where to go for the cables/ extensions also? im in canada so somewhere domestic would be nice but i can order from anywhere i guess... now to look in the classifieds for a riser and some bars!

cheers

F

freak58trio

Nov 26, 2007
Sumner,Washington
Check under hood and see what wire ties are holding the wires together that can come off and gently pull you'd be surprised how much you can lenghten them out. That sled probably has a cable style brake so you could go to a bike shop and have one made to fit,the throttle cable will need an extension maybe powermadd or some other brand.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
wires you can just cut and splice more wire into them if you have to, throttle cable you can buy an extension that hooks to your old cable then to the throttle lever or you could probably find a hole new longer cable. the brake hose you can either purchase a aftermarket longer hose, or take your old one off and go to somewhere that can make a new hose, like hydraulics shop or auto shop and have them fab one up that is however much longer you need with the same ends on as the old one.

oh, if you do go the route i mentioned about welding a plate to the top of the post make sure you add some little triangle braces that go from the bottom of the plate down to the sides of the post just for a little more strength.

Last edited:
Premium Features