• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How to raise my seat?

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
I had a thread on here a few weeks ago about how to add foam to my seat to make it sit higher. I have an old 99'X and my knees are practically hitting my chin.

After looking at my sled a bit more, why can't I just put something under the seat to lift the seat?

Is there something that I can bolt under my seat to give me about 6" of lift?

Someone has to thought of this already.........

Thoughts?

T

T-Bone

Nov 11, 2005
Shelby, MT
Me and my riding buddy have had this same problem on our sleds ('04 AC 1M's and a 2000 Mach Z 809 144"). We took our seats to a local upholsterer and had them built up so the seating surface was level across with the back hump. Cost about $60, and well worth it.

But if that's not your style I've also seen a 2x2 wooden frame built under a seat that was hinged at the back, worked great for more storage. It was on an early '90s polaris RXL.

S
Jul 7, 2001
Kent WA
Guy at work is fabbing a 4 inch lift with alum. channel for under his seat. It will move the seat forward several inches also. It might add some weight, but so will wet foam. We both need to give our kness some help, so I hope his design will work.

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Guy at work is fabbing a 4 inch lift with alum. channel for under his seat. It will move the seat forward several inches also. It might add some weight, but so will wet foam. We both need to give our kness some help, so I hope his design will work.

I think I will do this as well. I got a bud who is a metal fab guy.

I think I could design one that would would work pretty good.

I am thinking of .125 alum box without top or bottom, then welding in some channel at the top to support the seat.

I guess I need to take off the seat and determine how the seat originally held to the tunnel so I can duplicate that on the riser.

I hate having my knees so high........ Man that is uncomfortable.......

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
No, that wont work.......

For Cat and I have an old 99'X

Looks to be for tipped tunnels

N
Nov 26, 2007
CowTown
If your seat is a flat bottom and pretty straight forward, you can take the cover off, add 2-3 lifts of pink wall insulation under the old foam. Have a upholsterer (or if you're cheap like me - your wife) add a 6" strip of vinyl to the bottom of old seat cover, re-wrap the seat and staple it back up. You can get the pink foam in 2" widths, all you would need to do is cut it to fit under the seat and glue a couple of the lifts together with spray adhesive or construction glue (like a PL400), a full 8' sheet of the pink stuff costs about $30. You get to re-use the old cover to save costs (if its still in good enough shape).

Or take the cover off and use spray adhesive and glue new foam to the top of the seat, then use an electric knife to form the seat to your liking. This usually means you need to have (or make yourself) a new seat cover made since the look of the seat changes and usually you loose the wrap around portion at the back. This way you can change seat colours too though if you like or do a two tone thing. :)

Or you can just find a Rev seat and bolt it on.

The seat bolts onto the tunnel with "T" bolts and nuts towards the back. The usually are sucked into the wood base or plastic seat base, you might tear them out but you can buy replacement "T" nuts at the store and then just use a 1/4" bolt. If you go with method #1, you can replace the wood base on the seat with plastic or thinner and lighter wood as well.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Premium Features