• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Early Mountain Cats

U

UMGlasgow

Sep 21, 2008
Montana
Alright, it is time to get into another sled. I have been looking around and have seen some pretty good early fall deals. I am normally a polaris guy, so I was just hoping you guys could give me a little advice. I have been finding quite a few 01-03 MC 800-900's(EFI & Carb both) for good prices with low miles. I was just wondering if you guys could give me the low down on these sleds and what they are all about. Thanks in advance!

B

Boondockin800

Nov 26, 2007
PNW
The mountain cats are good solid sleds. Most people will say that the 01-02's were bit heavy, but the sled itself was bulletproof. If you can, find a late release 03 since those came from the factory with the drop and roll, and later style cooling system. The EFI engines are nice if you're a pull and go rider, but if you like to tweak and plan on adding aftermarket parts, then carb might be a good option.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
They are the best bang for the buck out there. 03 and up had the drop and roll chaincase and lost quite a bit of weight over the 02,s. The 800 and 900 are very tuff engines and had very few problems.

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
The mountain cats are good solid sleds. Most people will say that the 01-02's were bit heavy, but the sled itself was bulletproof. If you can, find a late release 03 since those came from the factory with the drop and roll, and later style cooling system. The EFI engines are nice if you're a pull and go rider, but if you like to tweak and plan on adding aftermarket parts, then carb might be a good option.

Have an 02 EFI and it is still about perfect. All I've ever done is the typical maintenance and that sled is just pull the cord and rip it. Every time!! Granted the later years did have a few advantages............(don't they all?!?) but, it is sure nice to have a sled that still gives the grins without much $$ or brain damage.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Last year bought the wife a 03 600 mtn cat efi, it has the factory drop and roll, it had 1200 miles on it and bought it for $2000.00 Like the others say those years are solid, i hop on the wifes once and a while it does really well and is alot of fun, just won't give up my m1000.

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
how big do you wanna go? i picked up an 04 KingCat and that thing is a monster. I'm a lean buck80 and I dont have a problem throwin it around. the power is right there and the damn thing will bout pull my arms off. Since the M made its debut the parts for 1Ms have dropped so its pretty cheap to stay in the game. Even though its out dated it will give many Ms a run for their money :D just my .02

H
Nov 26, 2007
Your moms house
01's & 02's

You could easily go with the 10 tooth drivers to regain approach angle on the early ones, instead of drop & roll. On my 01 I installed a Holz rear skid with 151" rails setback to run a 156". Best mod hands down! Getting rid of that P O S 144 cat track! Options are limitless with these chassis, just look at my sig. When I bought my 1300 everyone was like Why? well proven chassis and a BIG Triple thats why!

C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
had an 01 with an 883 big bore, slp single, some special skis, polaris 144, no air box, clutching, no sway bar, boss seat,snow eliminators, skid mods*... bad fricken sled. i unfortunatly ran into motor problems with a leaky seal, but i rode it 15 times and it was a monster. easily outclimbd 144x16 800 revs and 153 Ms.... (onlytime i rode with the m7 162 was in bottomless fresh powder so climbing i got dominated..)but on the flat land i could beat him racing...

love the sled but i traded it for a rev. its still my back up sled though. the sleds got grunt and effortless carving and side hilling IMO the sled just needs a 16 wide challenger and a driver change if its not an 03

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
03.5 or newer and you will have a SOLID sled. I still ride 2004 king and a 2004 900 EFI. Love then both. If you are not looking to mod the sled find a EFI. They run so perfect all the time !!!!

Premium Features