• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 polaris dragon hold-over or hold-on?

jzanc532

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2009
Rock Springs, WY
Ok so here's my situation, I want to try to upgrade my sled this year. I originally wanted to pick up a 2011 pro-rmk but I cant justify spending that much money, so I came across a 2010 dragon hold-over for $8500. Now my question is should i get the dragon? I know they have had quite a few problems, but has Polaris got the worked out pretty good? Or would it just be a headache? So what do you guys think? should I get the dragon then upgrade to the pro in two years or hold off for a year or year and a half, keep the sled I got, and get the pro then?

Any help/opinions is greatly appreciated

Jack

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
Ok so here's my situation, I want to try to upgrade my sled this year. I originally wanted to pick up a 2011 pro-rmk but I cant justify spending that much money, so I came across a 2010 dragon hold-over for $8500. Now my question is should i get the dragon? I know they have had quite a few problems, but has Polaris got the worked out pretty good? Or would it just be a headache? So what do you guys think? should I get the dragon then upgrade to the pro in two years or hold off for a year or year and a half, keep the sled I got, and get the pro then?

Jack

well it seems there is a good chance it will be fine on its own or with PC and a new map. I would take the dragon price wise but it might be a headache, but also remember there is the same odds the 2011 might be a headache too. All i know is i like my iq i just want more power but im very reliable with my 700 so it giving some to take some.

Last edited:

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
my 10 D8 has gone 1600 miles and never missed a beat. awesome sled, but it is a sled after all and NONE of them are perfect. Get the 10 D8, do a pipe, can, clutch for sure, and maybe a pc5 if you feel necessary. I would love a pro rmk this season but thats alot of $$ to spend after buying this sled and i would like to give them a season.

J
May 8, 2008
I put over 1000 miles on my 10 D8 last season and never had any problems with it. I hear of more problems with the 09's then the 10's. I say for that price, go for the 10 and odds are you wont regret it. Ride it a couple seasons, let them work the kinks out of the ProRMK and then get one of those.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
To me... It depends on what you are upgrading FROM??

The PRO is a real game-changer of a sled once you ride it.

I understand your reservations about either sled.

Just like any year, you can find a PRO RMK in the spring for some serious savings... if it is a used snowcheck... it will still have a great warranty left on it.

Just my two cents.

MH

Ask Yourself

Lifetime Membership
Mar 14, 2008

Jack

I've had a new rmk every two years... Tricked them all out from porting to big bore's to turbo's.... To be honest the last great sled Polaris built to me imo was the 2003 rmk ver esc. Until NOW..... The PRO will change sleddin FOREVER.... This is the real deal and that is no BS....

Super A

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Belgrade Mt
Never change unless it's what you really want.. sounds like you want a Pro RMK. In 2 years you are going to be trying to sell a dragon that will be three years old ridden for two vs the rest of us selling our 2 year old Pro RMK's with 2 more years of warranty left.

Just a thought

A

jzanc532

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2009
Rock Springs, WY
Thanks

Thanks everyone for your input!
MH my current sled is a 2007 dragon, its a great sled I'm just worried if I keep it that i might have to spend a fair amount of money to keep it running good.

Super A

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Belgrade Mt
So ballpark numbers tell me it's going to cost about $3000-$3500 to switch to the 2010, not exactly what you want, and then you will want to trade it on a ProRide in 2013 anyway; costing you at least another $3500. So you might as well buy the ProRide now, because you are spending the same amount of money that you were going to over the next 3 years and you would have what you want (need) now!

-This is how I justify things to my wife
:face-icon-small-hap
A

Last edited:

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
So ballpark numbers tell me it's going to cost about $3000-$3500 to switch to the 2010, not exactly what you want, and then you will want to trade it on a ProRide in 2013 anyway; costing you at least another $3500. So you might as well buy the ProRide now, because you are spending the same amount of money that you were going to over the next 3 years and you would have what you want (need) now!

-This is how I justify things to my wife
:face-icon-small-hap
A

X2

if you're going to upgrade then you might as well fully upgrade... and if you're going to spend money, you might as well spend a the extra to buy something you want and try to ride it longer than 2 years. But if you really can't swing that this year then I would stay on your '07 (because there is nothing actually wrong with this sled right?) for another winter and pick up a Pro next spring or even snow check a 2012. Just my .02

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
Go with the Pro

I have on 09 with SLP pipe, clutching, vents, air box, etc. I rode a new Pro last year and have to say there is no comparison. Power wise the pro didn't feel overwhelming, but it was solid throughout the powerband and the handling is PHENOMENAL. If you are looking at a payment situation, your payments will be just slightly more for a PRO. Pull the trigger on the new one, you won't be disappointed.

Premium Features