• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is this an OK GPS? I did do a search:)

S

Supplicate

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 4, 2005
Slowdotnuh
Etrex GPS units are a pretty good entry unit. They hold a signal alright, but don't hold one worth a darn if you are going to keep them in your pack.

A tip though, all the Etrex units use the exact same receiver and chip set, so it doesn't matter if you buy the $100 or the $300 version they will work the same.

THe problem with the Etrex is there isn't really any way to hard wire a power supply into your sled, the car adapter on mine was just a slip fit rather then a plug in connector.

I just recently bought a GPSMap 60csx and will never again go back to the cheaper units. Its worth it just due to the fact that I have yet to lose a signal except when in parking garages or inside multi level buildings.

M
Nov 26, 2007
But after I mark my locations. And later say I am riding and stop pull it out of my backpack, turn it on. It will show me a direction on which way to go. Shut it off, put it int the back pack, and away I go.

I don't think I would leave it on all the time, just use as a back up/or to stop and check myself to make sure I am on the correct path.
Or help me remeber some spots/meadows/areas....I tend to forget after a year :)

Last edited:
S

Supplicate

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 4, 2005
Slowdotnuh
the eTrex will be more then adequate for the usage you are describing.

I prefer to leave my GPS on full time so I can later load the tracklog into Google Earth and take a gander at exactly where I had been that day.

edit: The only hitch in the plan would be if you are in a deep valley or under heavy tree cover. The eTrex sometimes has issues with getting adequate satellite signal to fix your location in situations like that.

S

Supplicate

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 4, 2005
Slowdotnuh
True, but if you can get signal inside your building at work it would prove you could most likely get signal anywhere you might roam on in the big wide world ;)

B
Dec 21, 2007
Kalispell, MT
the problem i have with the etrex model you have posted is that there are no mapping functions. for a little more money you could have programs such as mapsource roads and recreation or the topographical maps that multiply the usefullness of this tool. if you havent ever used a mapping program you cannot fully appreciate how nice they actually are. i tend to lead most of the time and they are the ultimate for reference on where you have been, where you are going, and most importantly where NOT to go. the model you are looking at only has its gps functions when you are actually moving so pulling it out and getting a reference is simply not possible unless you are under way. just somethings to consider before you buy it and relize it wont do what you want it to do. I myself use a garmin 60csx with the mapsource topo program and it works really well the color screen is nice but not necessarry, if you are looking for a cheaper unit i would strongly consider the etrex legend as it is about as basic as i would want and still has mapping functions. the vista is basically the same unit but has a compass function that you can access when you are not moving. (they call it an electronic compass or somethin)

M
Nov 26, 2007
the model you are looking at only has its gps functions when you are actually moving so pulling it out and getting a reference is simply not possible unless you are under way. just somethings to consider before you buy it and relize it wont do what you want it to do.

Thanks, damn thing will not work for what I want it to do I guess......I will look into the other one you mentioned.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
I run a Garmin GPS12. Older model, no mapping/color/games/etc. I dump waypoints of each area I ride into the unit the night before, so I have an idea of how far and which direction to a certain point, but I don't have roads/trails/topo maps to guide me there.

For a basic GPS, that eTrex will work. Also check Craigslist, can usually find some on there for cheaper. I bought mine for $20 that way. The damn cable to connect it to my computer/sled cost more than I paid for the GPS.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Ya, but as stated above. I want one I can leave off in my back pack, and pull out and use it to find stored spots. Half the fun is finding the secert spot back again, but after a few years of not going to certain riding areas, I forget.

And a post above said that one I posted the link for in my orignal post, will not work for what I want

I guess I will do it the old fashion way, spend half a day finding a meadow back again :D

S

Supplicate

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 4, 2005
Slowdotnuh
And a post above said that one I posted the link for in my orignal post, will not work for what I want
I used that exact same model for years, so don't listen to someone that tells you that you "have" to have a better model.

If you can use your brain and know which way is north anyway, you don't need the electronic compass.

You don't need the GPS to tell you what direction you are headed or anything like that either.

You turn your GPS on, let it get a satellite lock, then switch to map mode. You zoom out/in until you get the view you want and then using your knowledge of where you are (provided by the GPS) and where you are pointed (provided by yourself) you can see your position on the GPS and where you want to be on the GPS. Just note where north is on the GPS screen, use some dead reckoning (or a compass) and there ya go.

Ever wonder how people used to find their way with a map and a compass before something told them what direction they were heading? :face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-sho

M
Nov 26, 2007
ya, I guess I could give a chit if it tells me North/South/East/West

just a damn arrow to my saved spots would work :D

Thanks for all the help guys!!!

T
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
the problem i have with the etrex model you have posted is that there are no mapping functions. for a little more money you could have programs such as mapsource roads and recreation or the topographical maps that multiply the usefullness of this tool. if you havent ever used a mapping program you cannot fully appreciate how nice they actually are. i tend to lead most of the time and they are the ultimate for reference on where you have been, where you are going, and most importantly where NOT to go. the model you are looking at only has its gps functions when you are actually moving so pulling it out and getting a reference is simply not possible unless you are under way. just somethings to consider before you buy it and relize it wont do what you want it to do. I myself use a garmin 60csx with the mapsource topo program and it works really well the color screen is nice but not necessarry, if you are looking for a cheaper unit i would strongly consider the etrex legend as it is about as basic as i would want and still has mapping functions. the vista is basically the same unit but has a compass function that you can access when you are not moving. (they call it an electronic compass or somethin)

Well said! I like the GPS 76CSX, lots of memory and great viewing. As stated, you want a GPS that can pick signal up fast and with ability. You will find tracking to be more a feature than an option and will use it more than you think. I rely on GPS's because I don't have a sense of direction and can't ever tell you where north is.....lol!, it's the truth!!!

boone

Premium Member
May 27, 2007
Crazytown!!
This is the one that I have. http://www.scheelssports.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10101&productId=40904 It works great. It has basic maping features and the ability to add more topo maps into it. With it being only $50 more, I would get this one. I got the handlebar mount for it. That works great. I just leave it on my handlebar and turn it on when I need it. I can get the info I need or mark a spot while I am riding or without fumbling to get it out of my pack all the time. Use the Energizer Lithium batteries in it though. If I shut it off when I am not using it they last for quite a while.

Boone

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
Ya, but as stated above. I want one I can leave off in my back pack, and pull out and use it to find stored spots.
I left mine on in my pack last year, tracked just fine in there.

I'm not a big fan of the electronic compass.... that chip draws a good bit of power, for something a magnetized floating rod will accomplish. Carry a map and compass and know how to use them anyways, the GPS just makes doing that easier. Also lets you dump the tracks back to the computer and look at it on google earth :)

J

JohnnyQuestUtah

Oct 30, 2008
Union Bench, Utah
Garmin Rino

Get a rino, you can mount it on the dash of your sled, it has a radio and a poll location-send location feature that is great when riding! :cool:

no gps can beat it.

peace out,

johnny

O

OutdoorJunkie

Feb 12, 2008
Meridian, ID
Well said! I like the GPS 76CSX, lots of memory and great viewing. As stated, you want a GPS that can pick signal up fast and with ability. You will find tracking to be more a feature than an option and will use it more than you think. I rely on GPS's because I don't have a sense of direction and can't ever tell you where north is.....lol!, it's the truth!!!

I have to agree with bdoe22 and some other's comments...in that you definately want mapping functionality, and that garmin units such as the eTrex legend are great. I've had 4 GPS units so far and currently have the eTrex legend hcx.

A couple features to look for, IMO, are USB, color screen, external memory card (I can put the whole west coast worth of topo maps on a 1 GB card) and battery life.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Layton Utah
I had one just like the one you bought and I liked it real well.

I really enjoyed coming home and plugging all my information inot my computer being able to show people where we went or where we are going.

Premium Features