• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled wont start, oily mess around too?

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
Alright guys, so I shut my sled off after running yesterday on one of the deepest days ive ever ridden, then the sled wouldnt start, we checked everything, plugs looked good, they were sparking, checked any electrical connections, anything we could thing of while still on the hill, after about 45 minutes of tinkering and pulling it eventually started, and seemed to be ok for about 10 minutes of riding, but when I moved the sled from the spot it sat in the snow below was all black and in my engine bay for oily too, couldnt see where it was coming from. sled left black spots on the snow for the next 10 minutes of riding out of the hill. Then it got bad again had to take 3 pulls at this one hill for it to not bog and sputter then made it over, sled ran horrible from there on and then wouldnt even idle until it eventually just shut down and now wont start at all, had to get towed out. Feels like there is plenty of compression and doesnt seem like a fueling issue to me.

Anyone ever had anything similar go on?

Sled is boosted with 1100 miles on it 2013 pro, (about 500 boosted miles)

Turboegt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2015
You're gonna have to tear the sled down a bit and find the source of the oil before you can start diagnosing. It could be a number of things.

It could be as simple as a boost leak causing the engine to run overly rich to as complex as internal engine damage. Time to put in some wrench time.

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
Oil consumption seems pretty similar to usual. Just took the exhaust off today and y pipe to try to see whats going on a bit more. Donuts and y pipe gasket all looked ok but so did the block, thinking the leak could be squeezing out the y pipe somehow maybe a pin hole or it got by the gasket somehow I dont know. But that doesnt explain the not starting. Pistons looked perfect looking through my exhaust ports. Thinking it might be the ecu that went bad, and when it started to go back it was reading wrong and throwing more oil/fuel out the exhaust causing it to leak out everywhere...? But that also doesnt make sense since the plugs were a nice brown color not wet and not to dry. Hmm ill have to do more digging, anyone know if theres a way to test a ecu without just swapping it?

Turboegt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2015
If your tune is RPM based, and you are rolling around too rich due to a lack of boost. When the sled dies or is shut off, it could be too rich (flooded) to fire back up.

Additionally, turbo seals can leak a bit of oil.

If the charge pipes are loose they could be leaking oil, giving you the oily residue.

I'm not saying this definitively is the problem, but checking hose clamps is free, and is where I would start.

Also, if you pull the couplers off. Spray the inside with some hair spray, and reinstall while they're still wet. Works as lube going on, and as glue to keep them from coming off.

Works great on my twin turbo corvette when I'm running 20+ psi.

Turboegt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2015
My next thought would be the oil supply to the turbo is not draining properly, and blowing oil past the seals.

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
If your tune is RPM based, and you are rolling around too rich due to a lack of boost. When the sled dies or is shut off, it could be too rich (flooded) to fire back up.

Additionally, turbo seals can leak a bit of oil.

If the charge pipes are loose they could be leaking oil, giving you the oily residue.

I'm not saying this definitively is the problem, but checking hose clamps is free, and is where I would start.

Also, if you pull the couplers off. Spray the inside with some hair spray, and reinstall while they're still wet. Works as lube going on, and as glue to keep them from coming off.

Works great on my twin turbo corvette when I'm running 20+ psi.

Ill check everything over, plugs were a nice tan color not wet though so I feel like I could rule that out. Again cant hurt to check everything though.

My next thought would be the oil supply to the turbo is not draining properly, and blowing oil past the seals.

Everything turbo related seems to be ok, and I am running a oil pump to the turbo so the oil i all separate from the motor and the oily mess seems to be near to clutch side more so (doesnt look like it came from the crank seal)

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Sounds like it is getting severely flooded with fuel. Hard part is figuring out if it is being commanded to spray too much fuel or is an injector stuck open. Auxiliary injector? Not common but it does happen.

This is a '13 Silber Kit correct? And no blue hose coming off of the fuel controller going to the fuel controller?

Extra fuel mixing with the unburnt oil will temporarily raise compression and will blow out the donut during engine cranking.

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
Sounds like it is getting severely flooded with fuel. Hard part is figuring out if it is being commanded to spray too much fuel or is an injector stuck open. Auxiliary injector? Not common but it does happen.

This is a '13 Silber Kit correct? And no blue hose coming off of the fuel controller going to the fuel controller?

Extra fuel mixing with the unburnt oil will temporarily raise compression and will blow out the donut during engine cranking.

Very interesting actually, it was blower over the head pow all day and since im running through the stock intake and not a cai it was struggling to grab air all day when the snow was plugging it. Not sure if that could cause something? Youd think that would just blow out though? Since the sled was having a hard time idling and all that on the way out when it actually was running, also at idle my AFR was normal so again you wouldnt think to much fuel? Couldnt see my WOT afr since it was to deep

Z

Zone28M7

Sep 28, 2009
Louviers, CO
Very interesting actually, it was blower over the head pow all day and since im running through the stock intake and not a cai it was struggling to grab air all day when the snow was plugging it. Not sure if that could cause something? Youd think that would just blow out though? Since the sled was having a hard time idling and all that on the way out when it actually was running, also at idle my AFR was normal so again you wouldnt think to much fuel? Couldnt see my WOT afr since it was to deep
Is the oil leaking from behind the primary clutch by chance?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Premium Features