• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MPI vs Evolution?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
That does speak volumes IMO.....We all know that in the secret lives of SW publishers they all ride yammies. LoL
:face-icon-small-con
DPG

in-your-dreams-hi.png

I am the ONLY person that is a die hard Yamaha fan at SnoWest.
The rest of the staff are all 2-Smokers

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
Don't worry about him to much.
If Yammi does in fact release a Factory Boosted Viper, then its 100% GAME ON time for product comparisons.

At that point it will be time for SnoWest to do some Head-To-Head sled comparisons as part of the annual DEEP POWDER CHALLENGE and then we will begin to get some real feedback on just how competitive they are.

So do you think if Yami comes out with a factory turbo that it will be included in the challenge? Unless it only gets compared to an 1100t it would seem unlikely to be in the comparison with the 2s sleds......otherwise why hasn't Cat's factory turbo 4s, that has been out for 3 years, been involved before. I could see comparing the two 4s, but it would seem unfair to start including them because Yami now has one. Like it or not, for all it's strengths and weaknesses, Cat was the first to have a factory turbo for what will now be four years.

Y

yamahajohnson220

Jan 4, 2008
So do you think if Yami comes out with a factory turbo that it will be included in the challenge? Unless it only gets compared to an 1100t it would seem unlikely to be in the comparison with the 2s sleds......otherwise why hasn't Cat's factory turbo 4s, that has been out for 3 years, been involved before. I could see comparing the two 4s, but it would seem unfair to start including them because Yami now has one. Like it or not, for all it's strengths and weaknesses, Cat was the first to have a factory turbo for what will now be four years.

Exactly why the 2s guys are chewing their finger nails and "trying" to spit them in our faces.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

YES.
If Yamaha releases a FACTORY BOOSTED VIPER, it will be included in the Deep Powder Challenge. I was told that the last time I asked.

As to WHY the AC hasn't been included.
Honestly don't know, I never asked the powers that be.

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
YES.
If Yamaha releases a FACTORY BOOSTED VIPER, it will be included in the Deep Powder Challenge. I was told that the last time I asked.

As to WHY the AC hasn't been included.
Honestly don't know, I never asked the powers that be.

Unless Cat was asked to be involved and declined that seems like a raw deal for Cat. Either there is more to the story or the unbiased opinions of SW may have been compromised :face-icon-small-win

I don't really care either way, I haven't owned a 2s in 7 years and I will be riding both this winter, but to include a Yami with a factory turbo and not have ever included a Cat factory turbo really seems odd. :face-icon-small-con

Maybe it bares asking the powers that be why Yami would be included now and Cat never has.....

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
My guess is that everyone at the office is a 2 smoker but me.
So it's quite possible it just never came up in discussion until I pressed the issue last season.

S

SXViper

Nov 26, 2007
Lenexa, Kansas
Exactly why the 2s guys are chewing their finger nails and "trying" to spit them in our faces.

No need to wait for the magazine Leonard, we can have our own little deep powder challenge in February:face-icon-small-coo Would you like for me to ride the stocker or the turbo? Wear your safety goggles the nail spitting is going to get ferocious.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com

This may be why the 1100t has not been involved (PS, its as heavy as a Nytro)

"The magazine doesn't feel that in Stock Non-Turbo configuration they merit review as true mountain sleds.

They consider them non-competitive."

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
This may be why the 1100t has not been involved (PS, its as heavy as a Nytro)

Ahhhh, but how many people put a 180 kit on a Nitro and loved it, sh#tty handling and all? Lots. As I'm sure you know the PC chassis is nothing like a Nitro for handling.

With 2-3' of fresh in big rolling hills and some steeper verticals the guys that ride 180hp 4s find all the stock 2s non-competitive, Hell, it's half the reason any of us went to a 4s.

All I'm saying is it seems biased that they would include a 4s if Yami comes out with a stock turbo when Cat has had one for what will be 4 years. The closed mindedness of the testers must be shifted to include what is a growing segment. If the general public is continuing to buy 4s then it should have been relavent years ago, maybe the criteria for what is "relevant" is what needs to be evaluated.

Maybe a 2s/4s comparison with a $1500 budget for each is in order as well.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
All I know is that when I asked I was told the Yamaha would not make it into one of the Deep Powder tests until and unless is came FACTORY TURBOed.

Htey told me they had considered putting one in over the years with an aftermarket turbo kit on it but decided against it knowing full well all the manufacturers would cry FOUL as it was not a PURE OEM product that any end user could walk into the shop and buy.

So.
If Mountain Performance Industries REALLY is doing legitimate EPA certification runs on the Dyno, and IF Yamaha REALLY is going to announce this spring that the 2016 Viper MTX will come with an available factory installed MPI Turbocharger on it, then I will push as hard as I can to get that sled entered into the Deep Powder Challenge next year.

What I do know is this.
Ryan Harris was pleasantly "SURPRISED" by how well the Viper actually performed this last winter. While the "Haters" howl and protest that the video SnoWest released was staged, the reality is, it wasn't. That weekend on the sled, more than anything else, is what got the ball rolling.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LtjsylwWboc?list=UUG4G-m4bppMdwxRixCHJ6JA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
So then it would cost a few thousand more than the competition? Put turbo's on ALL of them, then do some FAIR testing.

Doesn't Cat already offer a factory 4 stroke turbo mtn sled in the same chassis as the viper? Did it make the challenge?

OF COURSE a turbo sled is likely to dominate, it had better for the extra money. When they deliver one for $12k new, then put it up against the 800 2 stroke benchmarks. Until then, it isn't much of a comparison.

I think if they tested ALL sleds on a pump gas setup (6psi), the results would be alot closer than some realize. Take for instance the old 809 MachZ tripple, it make a 226HP on 6psi. Now a similar gen 800 twin needed 10psi to make 225HP.

My point is a tripple will always make more HP than a twin for the same amount of boost, therefor it can make less base HP, and come close with equal boost.

IMO, this is why the Apex can make BIG horsepower numbers easily!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I really liked this Factory Yamaha Video that they produced with Troy and the crew at LCC... It shows a lot of good points... and Ryan is one of the best riders I've been out with (I'm a rank amateur in comparison)

I also agree that if a factory fields a Production, consumer available turbo sled... regardless of the price... that it should be included in the evaluation.

I would like to see a turbo deep snow challenge with all four of the sleds...since ALL the mfgs top sled offerings are represented by turbo builders. Now that would be interesting. Those sleds would be easy to corral for a test.

I'll be keeping my ears/eyes open to hear what Brandy Floyd (coyotegirl on the SW forums) is doing on her turbo Viper MTX over the season... and what the end of the day, full deep day, fatigue levels are in comparison to her previous rides.

Keep pushing the envelope of the development of these sleds.. and we all benefit!

Lets just hope, that the mountains stay open for us to experience this... and actually work to make that happen.

Pray for snow.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LtjsylwWboc?list=UUG4G-m4bppMdwxRixCHJ6JA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Premium Features