• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015 Viper MTX in the trees.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
The point is, I think the Viper is overwight and overpriced. It is based on a marginal at best mtn chassis. Lets see you studs horse one of those pigs across the slope, up and down, with a ski in the air. When any of you can do it as well as that kid on a little 600, without having a heart attack, I would concede the Viper might work in the trees.

Lets just be honest, the first vid was kind of sad. I understand that it wasn't meant to be what I expected. I expected a the new Viper turbo putting on a show in the trees. The next vid was better but pretty wide open most of the time. That was hill climbing, not what I would call trees.

I guess everybody has different terrain to work with. I bought the tool that works best for me. I understand you like the big fast Yammicat but it is a different tool. There are things each sled would struggle with. I doubt I can hi-mark it and I doubt it can keep up in the trees.

I do enjoy ribbing you guys, especially when invited. Some of you take all this WAAAAAAY to seriously. These are play toys, I'm not making yo mamma jokes here.

I have no problem with you giving your opinion on the Viper. But not until you actually RIDE one. Just because you THINK it might suck doesn't count. I've never had a problem sidehilling with this chassis, but maybe I'm not as EXTREME A rider as you. It always seems the Poo riders want to be seen as the next Burandt.

O
Dec 6, 2007
I have no problem with you giving your opinion on the Viper. But not until you actually RIDE one. Just because you THINK it might suck doesn't count. I've never had a problem sidehilling with this chassis, but maybe I'm not as EXTREME A rider as you. It always seems the Poo riders want to be seen as the next Burandt.

I have ridden the Cat 800, I know how the chassis rides. Are you suggesting that the addition of 30 more pounds is going to improve on an M8000? I really do not think I need to ride it. Most of the others here proffering opinions have never ridden the sled either. I would like to try one but that probably isn't an option until they really hit the snow. Since we ride pretty out of the way venues I don't see to many sleds other than my buddies when we ride. I have only ever seen 2 Yammi's on the snow in a dozen years.

I just am trying to really understand the enthusiasm for what appears to be a mediocre attempt. Good for them for making an effort. Maybe they can help improve Cats chassis, to deny it is running third and fourth in a four man race is a tough stance to take.

We fun a LOT about the Burandt thing. That is always the joke... "watch me Burandt this flickable little booger right up through there" or " I coulda made it if I had just channeled my Burandt a little better". I actually just like to ride like me. I am way to old to be a wannabe. I have ridden a lot of different sleds. I find myslef riding different terrain on the Pro. I suspect with a T-Viper that terrain choice would change again. I can say, I MUCH MUCH prefer the riding I do on the Pro to hi-marks and raw speed. I love being able to crawl it into stupid places with confidence. Personally, I just think you guys are missing out. The motor on the Pro is stupid easy to fix. The chassis on the Cat probably needs a true mtn redesign before it can compete again. On the other hand, to each his own. More Yammicats means less competition for snow where I like to ride.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
If you really want to go into stupid tight spots, get a snow bike. The rider on the sled makes more difference than the sled. I like power and this sled will make 270 hp and last a long time. The poo, not so much. I come into areas all the time that have sidehill cuts all over. Must have been poos. I hate when they do that cause it will just make an area slide easier. What's the point. To each there own I guess.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
Really? Why? Are you one of those guys who never gets stuck? Is it some sort of ding against my riding ability if I get stuck?

Keep pushin Nebraska....

Here is another one of me stuck since that seems to excite you...

why are you stuck in a wide open flat spot:face-icon-small-hap:noidea::pound::pound:

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
And that's a good thing, because compared to the Yamaha you will be fixing it over and over and over again, while our's will just keep racking up the miles season after season after season...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2 pro.
As much as I respect your opinion, and feel that in general a 4 stoke is a more reliable motor, especially under boost, I have to say what's good for the goose is good for the gander. How many times have you or you an your buddies towed out a pro? Internet hype gets put in all different lights so you have to take it all with a grain of salt. I have been on the pro since it came out and have had two for the last two years, three of my good riding buddies have pros as well. As far as problems that I have had with them, I had a tps sensor go bad. It rode out but didn't run fantastic, and I put a turbo on the '11 and ran WAY too much boost in it because I got greedy. (12 psi at sea level). That is it. The nytro in our group broke the nipple off of the bottom of the oil resivoir, and grenaded a clutch. Both involved LENGTHY recovery processes.

Not saying the viper isn't more reliable than the pro, but in my experience in stock form, that hasn't been the case.

At ouraysledder: I've said it in other posts, but I HATED the M8. They really have changed a lot of its bad characteristics. It doesn't dive like it the M8 did. Was much more predictable and has a definite balance point. It's very confidence inspiring and an impressive sled. It isn't as good of a technical sled as the pro, but it's no slouch either and for a hp junkie it's the ticket. This comes from another pro rider who apparently can't ride because I cut sidehills instead of chute climb.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
As much as I respect your opinion, and feel that in general a 4 stoke is a more reliable motor, especially under boost, I have to say what's good for the goose is good for the gander. How many times have you or you an your buddies towed out a pro? Internet hype gets put in all different lights so you have to take it all with a grain of salt. I have been on the pro since it came out and have had two for the last two years, three of my good riding buddies have pros as well. .

Given 10,000 miles there is simply NO 2 stroke motor that will stand up against a 4 stroke.

Run a 2 stroke HARD, and you will likely need to work on it within about 2,000 miles or so. Its not that a Poo is problematic, but that a 2 stroke motor is simply not manufactured to endure in the same manner as a 4 stroke. Add boost, and your lifespan drops even faster.

On a Yamaha, 10,000 miles boosted should be no big deal at all.

O
Dec 6, 2007
The problem I have with 10,000 mountain riding miles is that NONE of the chassis' will survive that, none of them. So what exactly is the point? The tanks we rode 20 years ago may have been tough enough to last 7-10k miles and, those were 2 strokes mind you. Today, by 3000 miles I am looking for a new sled. That is one top end change on the Pro, about $400. Mine has been flawless except for a QD belt, replaced free. I have had one of the good ones which seem to far outnumber the lemons.

I was out yesterday with a '14 M8000 limited and a '14 XM sp cutting sidehills (because we don't know how to ride). The Pro is the clear winner (or I need new riding buddies) in handling. I am glad they have improved the Cat chassis but I was with the latest version and it still is too heavy, especially up front. The Doo is just plain to squirrley if the snow is even a little firm.

Just back to different strokes I guess. For the riding I like to do (clearly the incorrect way) light wieght is king. You CAN feel it, it DOES make a difference. When somebody actually builds a 250hp T-4 stroke that comes in at <450 lbs dry that will be the revelation I am waiting for. Trading 100lbs for 100hp is not something that interests me in the least. My sled doesn't really need more power, it already can take me places I shouldn't be.

Last edited:

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
I agree. Any two stroke motor will require more maintenance than a 4 stroke.

I also agree that I, in the past, would upgrade a chassis well before that. I have to admit that getting a 4 stroke before I start popping out kids is on my priority list because I know I probably will end up goin 5 years on a sled once that happens.

Anyways on the original topic here, I was very impressed with the viper in technical situations. It's not the pro, but IMO is a better technical handeling sled than the doo, and a step ahead of the cats I've been on.

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I agree. Any two stroke motor will require more maintenance than a 4 stroke.

I also agree that I, in the past, would upgrade a chassis well before that. I have to admit that getting a 4 stroke before I start popping out kids is on my priority list because I know I probably will end up goin 5 years on a sled once that happens.

Anyways on the original topic here, I was very impressed with the viper in technical situations. It's not the pro, but IMO is a better technical handeling sled than the doo, and a step ahead of the cats I've been on.

good reply. I think the main point we are trying to portray is that we now have a chassis that is far superior then our past Yamaha chassis's with the viper. The viper is a chassis that closes the gap with the other brands out there, and some people can't let that go. Is it as good as a pro in the trees, NOPE!!. but do I want to ride in trees that will scratch the living piss out of my sled and bangs the sled up. Not a chance. I don't consider that fun riding for me personally. But that seems to be the measuring stick that if a sled can't get scratched up and spend 8 hours a day in tight technical trees on a nasty sloped hill then it's a pos. I guess I ride a pos, but I'm happy on my pos and done with Ouray. We still haven't seen a video of him riding in these so called tress of his, but I dont' think we ever will cuz these vids don't and wont' exist. They exist for him at the tips of his fingers and on his keyboard, but if that's the kind of riding he wants to do go have fun.

Rode the viper chassis with boost it yesterday and going out again to ride the mpi 180 kits. I am more excited to get my 15 boost it viper then I am to get my 15 pro for next year!!

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
come here to see a yammi and see a underpowered stuck pro that trenched to china.LOL.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
The problem I have with 10,000 mountain riding miles is that NONE of the chassis' will survive that, none of them. So what exactly is the point? The tanks we rode 20 years ago may have been tough enough to last 7-10k miles and, those were 2 strokes mind you. Today, by 3000 miles I am looking for a new sled. That is one top end change on the Pro, about $400. Mine has been flawless except for a QD belt, replaced free. I have had one of the good ones which seem to far outnumber the lemons.

I was out yesterday with a '14 M8000 limited and a '14 XM sp cutting sidehills (because we don't know how to ride). The Pro is the clear winner (or I need new riding buddies) in handling. I am glad they have improved the Cat chassis but I was with the latest version and it still is too heavy, especially up front. The Doo is just plain to squirrley if the snow is even a little firm.

Just back to different strokes I guess. For the riding I like to do (clearly the incorrect way) light wieght is king. You CAN feel it, it DOES make a difference. When somebody actually builds a 250hp T-4 stroke that comes in at <450 lbs dry that will be the revelation I am waiting for. Trading 100lbs for 100hp is not something that interests me in the least. My sled doesn't really need more power, it already can take me places I shouldn't be.

I AGREE! Screw horsepower weight is all that matters. Who needs uber traction?? I have included a pic of just such an awesome mountain machine that is MORE flickable than a Polaris Pro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And a Yamaha in the background to tow it home! YAYY!!!!!

attachment.php

skidoo.jpg

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c

so let me get this strait,you ride a 145hp 417lb dry sled that you say has to much power ,but you wont be happy with or ride a yammi 4stroke till they build a 450lb 250hp sled:crazy::crazy::pound::pound:put the pipe down & walk away man.

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ride report from today

Ride nm's personal sled and never thought I would say that I would turn the boost down. He had his sled set up to climb all the chutes this weekend so it was fairly stuff for tree riding.

I rode swensons personal sled and the Mcx 270 kit is rocking. Not as responsive as boost it but a kit that I've had in 7 sleds now.

Surprise of the weekend was the 180 kit and how much power it had for 180 horse. Megan macdougal came back and was super impressed with it as well. His ordering this kit will not be disappointed at all. Gonna be a wicked year for yammi. Gonna be even better once I get my boost it viper

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
I dive into the Yamaha section to read up on the new sleds and get away from DPG over in the Doo section only to have to deal with another fool. Wonderful....

Interested to hear more from Yamafest, can't wait to get a chance to ride the new Viper under boost!

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Screw the vids on youtube, let's see your tree riding ability's that you claim to have. This is gonna be a gooder.

Your comments kind of suck, only thing we are interested in is you going to the polaris section. Your obviously perked up enough by this new 4 stroke that will hand you your arse that you are constantly in here checking up.

Ummmm yeah, we don't want him there either. Maybe he'll venture into the Cat or Doo sections instead. LOL

As a '14 Pro owner, I will say the Viper looks like it will be an awesome sled for those that get one.

Premium Features