• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Evolution Powersports BIG CHUTE VIPER TURBO

E

Evolution Powersports

Nov 23, 2006
How much hp will this kit run on pump fuel (91) at sea level?

The Big Chute Viper Turbo is going on the dyno this week. Fuel requirements and Horsepower will be posted very soon.

We will be datalogging and knock sensing with some very high tech tools in order to extract the most safe hp possible from this engine. We have extensive background with the Nytro engine due to work we did in developing ECU tunes for that vehicle.

We will also release some unique qualities about our water to air intercooler which adds virtually no additional weight to the machine.

A couple of other notes - We have mounted the turbocharger fairly low in on the right side of the chassis. We did this for a few reasons. First, it was the only way to get a nice smooth transition from the header pipe into the turbo. Second, keeping the center of gravity low was extremely important to us. One of the complaints that customers have about the 1100T is that it feels top heavy. A turbocharger and associated harware weigh approximately 20 lbs. Machines with a low center of gravity tend to handle better and easier than top heavy machines. Also, our muffler, because of its shape also keeps the CG low as well. It is also very quiet. We will probably have a straight pipe option for those who want it loud.

This kit is the first of a family of turbo kits for this machine. We did NOT want to run a head shim on this kit - we want the compression in the motor in order to keep the normally aspirated throttle response. The higher compression also lights up the turbo better. Low compression motors can make more hp on pump fuel, but with timing control we can equalize this a bit. The last thing we wanted to do was create a machine with a soft throttle response or one that was laggy at elevation. As altitude increases, turbo lag increases. Low compression motors become less and less responsive at higher elevations. We generally ride at 8000'-11,500'. Our experience with the 1100T showed us that a 9:1 compression motor allowed us to make really good hp, but sacrificed the ability to pick the skis up when jumping creeks, change attitude with throttle while jumping, etc. On the 1100T, we were able to overcome this a bit with Launch Control, but we believe a higher compression motor makes a better mountain sled.

This is not really relevant to the mountains, but shows the potential of the turbocharger we have selected - Kyle Shilts took second place this weekend in the Cable, WI trail class drag races. He finished neck and neck against his uncle Kelly Shilts who was running basically an outlaw class 500+ hp sled. This turbo maxes out around 41 lbs of boost and 400 hp at sea level. We should have no problem making 350+ hp at high elevation.

Last edited:
T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
The sweet deal is that the Tial Modified EVO turbo is not going to need to make anywhere near the amount of boost that it does on the 1100 to achieve the same hp, just because of differences in engine design. Should give some more room for the turbo to breathe and keep the charge temps cooler along with that water to air this is going to rock.

Can't wait to see the numbers!

Prairie Dog

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Beautiful BC
I'm interested in power/fuel requirements. And how this intake is going to work. These nytro engines need major airflow. During all three days in revy the frog skin on the front was completely covered everyday. And I don't have an aftermarket bumper that will hold the snow even more. I have a feeling a cold air intake out the hood will be needed out west like all the other kits out there now. Interested to see how it works tho. And really like having the water to air intercooler. Keep up the good work Evo

S

summit-x

Mar 3, 2008
Central,ND
Lol wow climb max which is randy Swenson really has to come in here and chime in and bash on a good looking we'll setup kit right away? Really. How old are you randy? Damm near 50 not and you do that ? Lol wow

partsman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Vancouver B.C.
"I grantee I could take my 1100t wiith evos super chute and destroy each and every yammi you own"

Bold statement summit-x
I would really like to see that action,Randys a talented rider on any of his yammis.

YAMA S

Lifetime Membership
May 16, 2012
W. Wa.
Lol wow climb max which is randy Swenson really has to come in here and chime in and bash on a good looking we'll setup kit right away? Really. How old are you randy? Damm near 50 not and you do that ? Lol wow

I grantee I could take my 1100t wiith evos super chute and destroy each and every yammi you own

If you know ANYTHING about Randy then you'd know he doesn't bash on other people's stuff.... For your information he was just pointing out a shortfall in their design. If you had any knowledge or rode in any DEEP snow then you'd realize that would be the WORST place for a intake!! But you don't need to worry about deep snow do you FLATLANDER??

As for your second post...... Good freakin luck!!! Even if your 1100T had 50 more hp you COULDN'T out ride that "old" man! You should try to stay in your own sand box..... The kindergarten one.

TBird

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
North of Sweden
I grantee I could take my 1100t wiith evos super chute and destroy each and every yammi you own

Stop being an troll.
Don't ruin an thread that Evolution Powersports started and that's been very informative so far, especially since you seem to have strong feelings towards Evo.

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
Easy on the CM bashing. :face-icon-small-fro

Without Randy we are probably not talking aftermarket turbos on anything like it's a given on a 4s sled. IMO he's one of the bigger reasons this sport has progressed to where it is. He had no idea what production options were going to be but he saw an issue and lent an opinion. That's cool.

Randy has a pretty nice stable of sleds and he knows how to ride them. He's no poser. I hope to have him throw a leg over the Evo kit at some point. No one has more time on a Yami turbo than him.

K

Kibbels

Dec 8, 2007
Red Deer, AB

Well Mr. North Dakota.. At least your good for a chuckle! Not sure how much 3' pow u ride in but with my experience you need air to make a T-System work... On your trails well ya down low would be okay.. Oh and another thing I'm certain EVO will have options for external air sucker for those whom ride deep & steep.

And WKM is correct.. RS brought 4 strokes and riding to levels beyond many of us.. I give him credit for what he has done for the sledding communities... He is not a hater of anyone, brand, etc...

EVO - Keep up the good work I look forward to hearing and seeing more information of the Viper kit for us Mountian Riders!!!

Looks like a fantastic system!

Cheers

Smoke Show

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2008
Fort Nelson, BC
I personally think that the summit X is the best 2 stroke sled on the mountain. I personally think that yamaha makes the best 4 stroke... here nor there lets not start this fight please.

Evo I look forward to seeing the numbers as I will be in the market in the next year to two. :face-icon-small-coo

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I looked back over the whole thread and did not see or read any mention of the a particular Reed valve up stream in the intake system that allows the engine to breath if the primary intake is completely blocked with snow. Maybe CM was just bating EVO to further explain how the system can work in deep snow that was not previously outlined in their explanation of the kit. HMMM I am sure more then a few guys that are lucky enough to ride deep snow for the majority of their season were thinking the same thing before CM made his statement. Since CM has not commented again in this thread he must be running scared of Summit X's t1100:scared::pound:

J
Nov 27, 2007
Posers

Randy probably won't respond because he has class and doesn't want to get into a pissn match with some bozo that's probably all smoke no go.

Now get the thread back on topic, evo puts out some great stuff, I am curious to see what they get out of the kit and the finishing details.
Julio

E

Evolution Powersports

Nov 23, 2006
I looked back over the whole thread and did not see or read any mention of the a particular Reed valve up stream in the intake system that allows the engine to breath if the primary intake is completely blocked with snow. Maybe CM was just bating EVO to further explain how the system can work in deep snow that was not previously outlined in their explanation of the kit. HMMM I am sure more then a few guys that are lucky enough to ride deep snow for the majority of their season were thinking the same thing before CM made his statement. Since CM has not commented again in this thread he must be running scared of Summit X's t1100:scared::pound:

On the third post under our name in this thread is where we posted about the reed valve system.

The Viper was on the dyno yesterday. Our Advanced Piggyback Controller (APC) worked flawlessly. We were able to make massive boost, timing and fueling changes.

The EVO/TiAL Big Chute Turbo hits HARD! We are excited to push this engine/turbo combination as far as possible.

We will be on the dyno all this week finalizing the base tunes. Video will be posted of the dyno sessions soon.

20140308_161442_resized_zps8bd512f2.jpg

Last edited:

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Hey Look There is it is. Sorry about that I must of missed it the first time. I sit corrected. maybe some other people missed it too.

Last edited:
Premium Features