• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Go Pro owners - I have a question for you

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
When you have your camera helmet mounted, since there is no LCD screen, how do you know your camera is recording?

When you reach up and push the "record" button, is there some sort of "beep" noise or is there some sort of flashing LED?

I see in some of the videos, people seem to be taking their helmets off and looking at the front of the camera. Not sure if it as a GoPro or a different camera though.........

Also, in cold temps, what is your effective battery run time?

Any insight is appreciated.

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Yes there is a red light that blinks when it is recording. There are also beeps to let you know when it is on and when it starts recording. The beeps can be hard to hear if your sled is runnning. In real cold weather I dont leave it mounted on my helmet unless i'm gonna take video soon. If i'm just driving to a different location i have it in my backpack. But i would say you still get a decent amount of runtime in the cold if you shut it off often enough. I couldnt really give you a solid guess on time tho, just that it has only died on me 1 time before I was finished recording... all other days it's lasted the whole day.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Ya, it beeps -

3 times when you turn it on
1 time when you begin recording
3 times when you stop recording
7 times when you shut it off

In timed picture mode it beeps once when you start and once when you stop, so that one can be a bit confusing if your not looking at it.

If the sled is idling you have to be listening very closely to hear it, but I have mine mounted upside down under my visor so it's really close and easy to see/hear.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Interesting mounting choice.......you have any pics of it?

I do....

I like it this way so that I don't have to worry about losing it when going through the tight trees and it's easy to see the start/stop button just above my vision level. It's barely noticeable with goggles on, a little moreso when wearing sunglasses, but not too bad.

100_6848-1.jpg

rmk2112

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2009
Kennewick, WA
www.northstar-plumbing.com
I do....

I like it this way so that I don't have to worry about losing it when going through the tight trees and it's easy to see the start/stop button just above my vision level. It's barely noticeable with goggles on, a little moreso when wearing sunglasses, but not too bad.

Interesting..............what the camera sees is exactly what you see!! :)

Do you get ant vibration in the video from being on the visor?

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Interesting..............what the camera sees is exactly what you see!! :)

Do you get ant vibration in the video from being on the visor?

Ya, works good.

Nope, I have it mounted on the helmet itself, not the visor. I had to combine a couple different mounts to get it to work how I wanted. The way my AFX-FX-17 (same shell as the 509) helmet is shaped it is pointy on top so I had to either have it forward or way back. This way I would also have to take a direct shot to the face for the camera to get hit.

100_6405.jpg

100_6399.jpg

100_6400.jpg

K

kbl6z

Mar 8, 2009
auburn,wa
Great idea. Im going to have to try that next season on mine. H
Code:
ere is a question for you guys. How many of you bring an extra battery on a days ride?

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
I plan on buying the battery pak and LCD screen for this season. From what I have seen they are much cheaper on the gopro website than at any vendor I have been to.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Great idea. Im going to have to try that next season on mine. H
Code:
ere is a question for you guys. How many of you bring an extra battery on a days ride?

I never have, but it wouldn't be a bad idea for the colder days or if you want to get a LOT of footage. It's hard to say exactly how long a battery is good for, depends on temp, time on in standby, and time recording.

K

kbl6z

Mar 8, 2009
auburn,wa
Im planning on getting the lcd screen. Ill get a backup battery also. Can't wait to ride next season. Hopefully alot more trips to Washington or just move back after my divorce is done.

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
I have the LCD screen setup so it turns off after 60 seconds of not being used in order to conserve battery. I only have an 8 GB card and the battery lasts way loner than my card.

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
I like it a lot. Getting it pointed where you want it is a breeze now. Had it on the outside windshield of the pickup and could see exactly where to lock it down. Going through the menu is a simple now, no more getting out the decoder to know what I am doing!!!.

K

kbl6z

Mar 8, 2009
auburn,wa
Thanks. Ill get one in the next couple weeks and play with it. Dartos how long did it take you to get used to it and figure it out?

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
That is the only thing I don't like about my 960... not compatible with the new extras they FINALLY came out with.:face-icon-small-sad

J
Feb 19, 2008
Ogden
It also has a setting in the camera you can select that anytime the camera is on it is recording.

So by default it is a 2 step process. Turn the camera on.......push the record button.

For sledding the auto record is a nice feature, cause you just reach up and hit the button to turn it on and you know you are recording. Hit the button again and you shut it off/not recording.

Premium Features