• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Unrealistic Expectations - M1100 Turbo ?

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Leave it stock, change the oil, put gas in it and ride it then? If you don't want to wrench - that is probably your safest bet. Give it a few trips stock, set up the shocks - and ride it??

Reliability is key for me - I can't imagine going back to a two stroke sled.

Yep, you got it!

R

ROBERTSONYAMAHA

Oct 28, 2010
Swift Current,SK
why even run a turbo 4 stroke. that turbo 2 stroke Pro is running hard with these nytros and weights 100lbs less. That pro is 9lbs of boost with a 50/50 mix, probably around 230hpish. Those nytros are 15lbs or better with a 100 race, probably 270ish.

Like i said it is running good with them nytros for half the build cost, why build up a 4 stroke!! So your operating costs and build cost is down in comparison. This is the first real comparison with some real riders that actually know who to tune the engines and chassis.

NM great running sled, hurry up and get a etec done:face-icon-small-hap

Last I checked my MCX-270 Turbo Nytro made 270HP and 18lbs boost on Pump fuel, and i expect my motor to last thousands and thousands upon thousands of miles. No tuning, no tinkering. I ride in Saskatchewan, load up, head to Revy, unload ride. Don't touch a thing, no clutching, no boost to adjust, nothing. Thats why we bother riding those so called "HEAVY" 4-stroke Yammies.

On a side note the Cat is going to be great, been snow-checking lots. But I will put money on it not climbing near as far as a MCX-180 Nytro. Just m .2 cents

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
I am at a point in my life where I just do not want to wrench on this stuff anymore. Used to, been there, done that, and I have no interest in wrenching.

Four strokes have time again proven themselves to be far superior in terms of reliability. There is no argument there.......

I have been waiting for a stock four stroke turbo for at least five years now. Good reliablity, good power,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and yes some weight to boot......

Ok, so what.........

I think I will never go back to 2 strokes again........

I am just trying to pick the brains of the guys that have been there before me (ahem, ahem, Yammie guys)

the biggest mistake new guys make is trying to get to much out of something its not designed for, keep it in its optimal range & it will have very few issues.like i said if you want to crank the boost & make more power be ready to make the appropriate changes to make the power safely.there will come a point though where you will start to find the weak points if you get greedy you will pay,they may get 400+ on a dyno back east but that dont mean it will last a day making that power in the mountains.ask how many apex guys on here built motors that were making 600hp on the dyno & racing back east how long they lasted in the mountains:behindsofa:be carefull of all the hp hype.:face-icon-small-win

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
Actually we have seen 4 broken chains and probably 10-12 grenaded belts on Yammies this yr. I had to buy 2 new clutches this year, and I know of probably 5-6 more that broke in half. Mind you this is all on turbo sleds with big tracks and lot's of horsepower.
They all do things good and not so good. Everyone should pick the one that works best for them. Better yet, buy 2, so there are options. The thing I don't understand is when people come on here and go on and on about how what they ride is the best, when really they have no clue about any of the other brands.
Seen it a million times in the auto industry too.

yup neil i wish i could have one of each to much of this:fencing:& not enough of this:face-icon-small-hap:beer;

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
You sure hit that nail on the head NM. Why does it matter what your sled does compared to anyone else's? I have a nytro that I know darn well will not do what others will do stock but who cares. I bought sled for many other reasons and I love it and have fun with it.

Let's just have fun and bag the comparison crap. The only thing I like to compare is how good the snow was from one ride to another and what I did to become a better rider.

I also think it is arguments like this that breed the kind of riders like the ones that watched me down in a big ravine with a crashed sled and just rode right by. More working together and less bickering would be great I think.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
the stockers are gonna be nowhere NEAR what a yami is gonna be.. when it comes to turbo 4 strokes.. the more $$ its a pretty direct correlation to how high you go. and a 13k stocker isnt competing with 20k+ full purpose built sleds. the cat is still gonna be way more powerful up high then a normal NA 2 stroke, but your not going to be wheeli'ing up the hill at mach 10, your about 100 horse short of that.. as for just cranking em and going, like others have said, the turbo system wasnt designed for it, its not nearly setup for those levels.. now with some simple mods you could easily have a rock solid 200 horse that is gonna be a lot of fun and should hold up just fine.

just a few little things to look at/think about.. look at the turbo, its tiny, look at the rubber charge tubes, the tiny diamter on the cast part of the charge tube. this isnt about all out insane horsepower like an aftermarket purpose built system, its a stock turbo'd motor, they will go forever....

will it be a big bad yami, NO, will it be a lot of fun and a very capable sled, we shall find out, but its looking very promising.

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
You sure hit that nail on the head NM. Why does it matter what your sled does compared to anyone else's? I have a nytro that I know darn well will not do what others will do stock but who cares. More working together and less bickering would be great I think.

Yeah, Sledders should concentrate more on the important things........like banding together collectively, to fight against the evils that threaten access and the sport in general.

K45

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2010
I really dont think this thread was anything about my sled is better than your sled.
Also this is not a brand new first year out Turbo 1100 engine - it is already proven Z1- set a few speed records - might very well have a small turbo - but has also proven to be fast stock and modified - no question.

Im thinking the 2012 T1100 will be a great handling sweet running sled at about 220hp - Low setting on the Hijacker box. For give me a smile on my face - scare me at times big power runs my TNytro will work just fine.

By the way NM everone knows Ford is #1:face-icon-small-sho

L

LOYTOY

Nov 29, 2007
marsden, sk
the biggest mistake new guys make is trying to get to much out of something its not designed for, keep it in its optimal range & it will have very few issues.like i said if you want to crank the boost & make more power be ready to make the appropriate changes to make the power safely.there will come a point though where you will start to find the weak points if you get greedy you will pay,they may get 400+ on a dyno back east but that dont mean it will last a day making that power in the mountains.ask how many apex guys on here built motors that were making 600hp on the dyno & racing back east how long they lasted in the mountains:behindsofa:be carefull of all the hp hype.:face-icon-small-win

Great point! When I started the turbo game i was always boost controller happy and blew up 4 apex engines $$$$$$$ and 3 of them were fully built motors running strait c-16! ouch:nono:

E

evil1

Aug 7, 2008
fort mcmurray, alberta,canada
k i'm gonna take stabb at it,,i breifly reviewed the post,,but not all. I'm running the 08 nitro with lots of mods and i do love the stg 2 mcx kit,,and since i installed the prologger on it i love it even more,,power wise that is,,the chasis is still a monster to do anything else other than point and shoot,,I do manage it in the trees,and i found the recipe in the suspension that helps me but man it works me over. The 1100 turb that cat is offering up at first clance looks like great value and i got a feeling the chasis is gonna outperform my nitro. i bet it will not do anything the best,,but do everything to some extent. In my opinion this would be a leap for four strokes. The fact that a programmer could take you to 200 hp plus and low cost got to be a big attraction. I havn't seen the end out the door cost for both machines but i figure the yamy is gonna be way over the cat. My mods and 240+ kit has got me into 30+ bones.

Nov 28, 2007
Vernon
Actually we have seen 4 broken chains and probably 10-12 grenaded belts on Yammies this yr. I had to buy 2 new clutches this year, and I know of probably 5-6 more that broke in half. Mind you this is all on turbo sleds with big tracks and lot's of horsepower.
They all do things good and not so good. Everyone should pick the one that works best for them. Better yet, buy 2, so there are options. The thing I don't understand is when people come on here and go on and on about how what they ride is the best, when really they have no clue about any of the other brands.
Seen it a million times in the auto industry too.

K, now your being mean
Just checked parts sales and Yamaha sold 4 chains and 2 new clutches this year, all of them in Alberta
Whaddya doin out there?

T

throttlecable

Dec 13, 2009
Fruita, CO
Food for thought

4/17/11 Powder Mtn. RMSHA Mod dash for cash...I ran a 2010 stock MTX 162 w/ Push turbo making 6psi against a Boondocker tweaked 2012 HCR 1100 piloted by T.Z. #3
Run #1 : We left the line at equal thrust, and the Cat seemed to pull a sled length or two on the Nytro before coming to an abrupt stop, and unloading T.Z.#3, giving me the uncontested win.
When I got back down to the starting line, I asked him what happened, and he said it started losing boost and throwing error codes before it died. 5 min. later...HCR 1100 back to life and ready to race.
Run #2 : Tapio brothers onboard (2) Boondocker race gas turbo 2012 HCR 800's holeshot both Nytro, and 1100 by 3-4 sled lengths(giving me a good dose of highspeed snow roost to the face)...400 yds later, Nytro has closed the gap by 50%, and towing 1100 by maybe 2 -3 sled lengths. At about 500 yds, the 800 cats crossed the finish line approx. 2 lengths ahead of the Nytro, and the 1100 had closed within approx. 1-2 lengths of the Nytro.
This was an apples to orange to banana comparison at best, but nonetheless, thats what happened today to the best of my descriptive ability as an active participant.:thumb:

P

pylon

Jan 16, 2009
in the triple slide
why only 6 pounds of boost on the low booster? the cats hands down come with a WAY better track than the nytro ! kinda cool to hear how they compair in a hill climb contest . how did the supension/handling compair ?

T

throttlecable

Dec 13, 2009
Fruita, CO
why only 6 pounds of boost on the low booster? the cats hands down come with a WAY better track than the nytro ! kinda cool to hear how they compair in a hill climb contest . how did the supension/handling compair ?

The boost on the Push was a constant 6psi, but may have crept to 7 or 8 before wastegating. We toyed with the Idea of adjusting the wastegate for more boost (10-12?) but decided to leave it as Yamaha sells them through the dealers. Suspension on the Nytro was decent, but not near as race worthy as the HCR setups. Yamaha's new track may close the gap when compared to the powerclaw, and I agree the maverick is junk.

N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
K, now your being mean
Just checked parts sales and Yamaha sold 4 chains and 2 new clutches this year, all of them in Alberta
Whaddya doin out there?
First of all, why would we buy a Yam OEM chain for 165.00 when we can buy a made in Canada Hyvo for 70.00?
I just bought 2 clutches from a Yam dlr in Ab., and I have buddys that bought from Yam dlrs in BC. Ask Alpine how many they have sold.
Like our belts, we are starting to buy alot of parts in the US. Not sure how we can save 30.00 a belt landed in Can, but our group have bought over 60 from the US. Yes 60! Now why would we need that many?:shocked:

I guess what we are are doing is trying to save some money! Since we owe Yamaha nothing! I don't mind telling people the truth.
I now have 5 friends that have ordered Polaris Pro's, and there will probably be more. If Yamaha wants to sell some sleds they better bring us some new product rather than stand on a soap box and wave their 4 stroke flag...it's starting to get old!

W

wilmot

Feb 3, 2010
Clearfield, UT
4/17/11 Powder Mtn. RMSHA Mod dash for cash...I ran a 2010 stock MTX 162 w/ Push turbo making 6psi against a Boondocker tweaked 2012 HCR 1100 piloted by T.Z. #3
Run #1 : We left the line at equal thrust, and the Cat seemed to pull a sled length or two on the Nytro before coming to an abrupt stop, and unloading T.Z.#3, giving me the uncontested win.
When I got back down to the starting line, I asked him what happened, and he said it started losing boost and throwing error codes before it died. 5 min. later...HCR 1100 back to life and ready to race.
Run #2 : Tapio brothers onboard (2) Boondocker race gas turbo 2012 HCR 800's holeshot both Nytro, and 1100 by 3-4 sled lengths(giving me a good dose of highspeed snow roost to the face)...400 yds later, Nytro has closed the gap by 50%, and towing 1100 by maybe 2 -3 sled lengths. At about 500 yds, the 800 cats crossed the finish line approx. 2 lengths ahead of the Nytro, and the 1100 had closed within approx. 1-2 lengths of the Nytro.
This was an apples to orange to banana comparison at best, but nonetheless, thats what happened today to the best of my descriptive ability as an active participant.:thumb:

So how are you liking the push turbo? What do you think of the S/C? Are the 800 cats stock? I was going to go but went riding,snow was the ****z.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
I ordered a m1100turbo and I am sure it is not going to feel as strong as my yamadoo with the vector turbo motor in it. I was running 14lbs of boost on pump gas with that. I just wanna try the new sled. I am not expecting it to be wild but I expect it to have good power at elevation compared to the 800's in our group. Probally won't compare to a yamaha running 8lbs of boost though. Have to realize that the extra cylinder makes a difference. Just like the extra cylinder on the apex over the nytro. And when boosting it, it will make more power per lb of boost as well.

I am not sure about the 2860 for a upgrade turbo on the 1100 though. Seems like a good option for all out hill climbing but a 2560 may be better for response. I personally think the stock turbo up to 215-220 hp range will be very nice and reliable day in and out.

N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
K, now your being mean
Whaddya doin out there?
I thought I would post a pic of my "new" clutches, as it kind od sounded like someone wasn't believing me.

Oh BTW...if there are lot's of customers buying parts in the US, would you not think the dealers are doing the same????????:face-icon-small-con

IMG00148-20110418-0851.jpg

Premium Features