• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Broken Mini Z chain - know why?

I had a new chain installed on my son's Mini-Z this summer. It broke after about an hour of use.

Do any of you know what may have caused this? I checked the gears and they seem to be turning just fine.

I want to get it back on the trail and plan to order a new chain but was curious if anyone had experience with this and knows if there might be a problem that could require a trip to the shop.

Thanks.

searchandrescue

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
If its the stock 420 chain it was probably master link comming un-done. You can have a few extra links if it happens again. I started running a one piece chain. Just learn how to punch the center roller out and re install to the disired length.

Sumac Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Mar 3, 2009
Central Wisconsin
Master Link Direction

Make sure that the master link clip is installed so the clip stays on if it rubs against anything. The Chain clip should have the open end pointed oppsite of the way the chain is running so it dosen't catch on something and slide off. I hope I explained that so ie makes sense.

Premium Features