• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

570 Exciter MOD?

T
Sep 10, 2009
meridian ID
i have a 89 Exciter without a motor and was wondering if anybody has ever had any luck putting other motors in them or putting large tracks/different skids in?
Im looking to have a mean ditch sled. any ideas?

P

Powder Buster

Feb 3, 2009
what he said

Have to agree, wrong sled to start with... but there are a few folks around that still ride and mod these sleds. I was going to try to make a mountain killer out of my 89 thinking that it would be cheap and fun, but decided it wasn't worth it and bought a much newer sled. Still need to get rid of that thing. I love to wrench, but when I started looking at skids and swaping motors and all the fabrication that it would involve it just didn't make sense at all for my wallet. Compared to anything newer it's just not worth it IMHO. With the money you'd spend updating what you've got you would probably be better off getting something newer that better suits your needs without a lot of modding. You could still get something late 90's or early 2000's that would cost much less and put a bigger smile on your face. Just my opinion of course

T
Sep 10, 2009
meridian ID
thanks for the replies, the more i sit and look at this thing, the more i agree. I ride far newer sleds but i really enjoy old beaters for some reason (89 Mach1 is my fav right now) i have rotax motors at my disposal and something light with a big track and stupid fast motor is appealing:face-icon-small-hap

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
thanks for the replies, the more i sit and look at this thing, the more i agree. I ride far newer sleds but i really enjoy old beaters for some reason (89 Mach1 is my fav right now) i have rotax motors at my disposal and something light with a big track and stupid fast motor is appealing:face-icon-small-hap

521's, 583's, 617's and 670's. Not to mention 650 and 700 Cat's in these things. Ekholm did a lot of conversions back in the day. Lots of fun, definately not a ditchbangers sled.

T

twincam88

Oct 10, 2009
yorkton sask
why not have an old pelter ride with your buddies race them wreck them whate ever!! we did that one new years eve and man it was a blast right till the hitch broke on a sleigh and there was bread ,ketchup, drinks every where lol. try it

mysledblows

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
I always wanted to do one with a 670 in it. Saw one once with a 800 polaris twin in it. And a phazer with a 600 polaris triple. I just never got around to doing it. The front suspension on the pogo stick sleds isn't much for ditch banging though. Make a pretty good boondocker/hillclimber though:)

F
Dec 10, 2007
Yellowknife, NWT
Iam buildin one right now also, but i cant find a drop and roll kit, as it already has 7 tooth drivers on mine and can only fit a 1 1/2 track, would like to go to 2" as well, and have the 570 bored out with single bender racing pipe and formula 500 carbs, but also have a XLT motor 600 that i may drop in if one or the other motor dont sell, but who makes tunnels for them? other parts for these old beasts i want a mountain sled

turboshorty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
stevensville MT
womps cat

I have a friend that has a 89 exciter with a PSI 890 that just flat halls ***. It is a 141x15x2 track with a M10 suspension in it. I like you can still find someone around to make you a new tunnel if you look in the right place. Also try to find the long travel front shocks from a V-max and install them onto you Exciter.

S
May 31, 2008
I seen a couple up lolo pass a few years back with rx-1 motors and turbos. Looked like they ripped pretty good. I was impressed.

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
Several years ago I hooked up with some guys from West Yellowstone for a weekend that all rode those. All of them were big Freddie Kruger cat engines, and 151 2 inch tracks. I was riding a snowcheck 01 800 151 and it was a long day keeping up with them. At least that is how I remember it. Its been a while. I still had hair back then.

Premium Features