• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lets talk Motec stand alone ECUs

V

Vi-PEC Powersports

Aug 17, 2011
CANADA
You are wrong, this is the only TRUE standalone ecu on the market plug and play with build in CDI taking control of ALL the snowmobile functions....si it is not a piggy neither a controller, or what ever you called the rest of the pack. I am not saying it is a miracle whatever but for sure nothing seen yet.

You sure about that? Might want to broaden your search a little farther. Your not the only one running the Vipec.
Duke, do you realy think we have not tried to have a v44 vi-pec installed first before building a new ecu? do you know another standalone vi-pec or whatever brand having the factory dash working 100%? push button reverse, throttle failure switch? ect..
i don't want to be mean to you but before posting please analyze a bit what you are about to type please. and remember this is only for the 800cc and 600cc polaris. forgot to let you know i have the worldwide distribution on that ecu so yes i am the only one currently running a pro rmk vi-pec ECU.

Last edited:
D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
Duke, do you realy think we have not tried to have a v44 vi-pec installed first before building a new ecu? do you know another standalone vi-pec or whatever brand having the factory dash working 100%? push button reverse, throttle failure switch? ect..
i don't want to be mean to you but before posting please analyze a bit what you are about to type please. and remember this is only for the 800cc and 600cc polaris. forgot to let you know i have the worldwide distribution on that ecu so yes i am the only one currently running a pro rmk vi-pec ECU.

In case you havent noticed your yapping about a Polaris 800 and 600 in the Yamaha section. When I'm in here http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=227 I couldn't care less WTF is going on in the Polaris world. :face-icon-small-dis

V

Vi-PEC Powersports

Aug 17, 2011
CANADA
In case you havent noticed your yapping about a Polaris 800 and 600 in the Yamaha section. When I'm in here http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=227 I could care less WTF is going on in the Polaris world. :face-icon-small-dis

since you were interupting in the poo section i though i could do the same here!.We are talking originaly about motec standalone and standalone in general so it is still flavor of the day....but enough now that you have nothing more to say......you know you can say you were wrong on your previous post, would have been better than that last post you sent instead. :brokenheart:

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
Supra

duke, not only pro rkm is ready but, m1100 turbo,m8,1200cc skidoo,nytro.....no etec and apex.

Not sure what has changed with the other sleds since may, are you positive the pro is even going to work? I hope someone gets the Standalone to work, it would be great to see, but.........thing i'd be scared of is trying to diagnose whats wrong with it on the mountain if something does fail. Will you be able to plug in the factory ECU to limp off the mountain or is it heli and laptop fix only?

S

supraturbo

Banned
Sep 9, 2008
quebec canada
duke, not only pro rkm is ready but, m1100 turbo,m8,1200cc skidoo,nytro.....no etec and apex.
http://www.brani.org/V1/ he as them al ready!! now you know we are buddies!

Not sure what has changed with the other sleds since may, are you positive the pro is even going to work?
aren't you sneaking in other threads too? it as been announced by branislav already.
I hope someone gets the Standalone to work,
again it is working fine!
it would be great to see, but.........thing i'd be scared of is trying to diagnose whats wrong with it on the mountain if something does fail.
same procedures than with oem ecu....nothing tricky
Will you be able to plug in the factory ECU to limp off the mountain or is it heli and laptop fix only?
this ecu will not be the problem 99% of the time, but if you carry your oem ecu yes you can plug it back and pull cord and go(but 99% of the time it will be a hardware failure .

it is good to see you check on my old post trying to find where you can catch/embarrass me.......i guess i will go and check all of your post also, might get a little funny!!!

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
Everyone needs to keep in mind that SupraTurbo aka Precision EFI, has a history of coming on the forums and talking smack, then back-peddling and pointing fingers when he is wrong.

For his sake, I truly hope this new standalone does work. If not, I'm sure he'll blame the engineer, or Motec, or who knows who.

Supra, you keep pointing fingers at NM, Duke, and others, and claim that they dont know anything about EFI, so we shouldn't listen to them. Using that same logic, why should anybody listen to you, since you obviously dont know anything about tuning for the mountains? It's great that your system works on the dyno, but any tuner or builder will tell you that the most difficult environment to build and tune for is the mountains...and yet you play it down like you can take your dyno tune, and with just a little bit of adjustment, make it run perfect in any environment. Can't wait to see how that works out for you.

YOu keep pointing out that Neils Boost It is 25 year old technology...but all I've seen/heard/read is how awesome it works and how satisfied his customers are (and not from him, but from those who spent their hard earned money and are using it).

In the end, the proof will be in whether or not your system works IN THE REAL WORLD...nobody cares about your 20,000 hrs of dyno time, or which company backs you, or how much you think you know about EFI.

Good Luck.

S

supraturbo

Banned
Sep 9, 2008
quebec canada
Everyone needs to keep in mind that SupraTurbo aka Precision EFI, has a history of coming on the forums and talking smack, then back-peddling and pointing fingers when he is wrong.
I can understand being tell the truth when throwing out junk can be a bit harsh.

For his sake, I truly hope this new standalone does work.
you do not understand what a standalone is right? it is working fine already , simply not tuned for your areas yet...
If not, I'm sure he'll blame the engineer, or Motec, or who knows who.
that is so much bull $hit.......!

Supra, you keep pointing fingers at NM, Duke, and others, and claim that they dont know anything about EFI, so we shouldn't listen to them.
I was attacked by NM and Duke , not the opposite. i will repeat it again: boost-it works for you guys BUT not for me, you can't simply understand....i have been around standalone a long time and i have used all piggy in the world and nothing to compare it is that simple.
Using that same logic, why should anybody listen to you, since you obviously dont know anything about tuning for the mountains?
Do you mountain guys realy think you are a special place on earth??haven't you see cars, trucks, atvs,utvs,snowmobile riding around you? Up to now nobody had the tools to do the work right it is that simple.
It's great that your system works on the dyno
Why are you so much using the "dyno" for reference? do you realize every motorist in the world use dynos to tune their engine and test ride for fine tuning? is it so hard to understand ...
but any tuner
PLEASE invite on here a recognized tuner and have him backup what you just stated.....just one ,and i will give you free ECU....if one show up, let's verify the "tuner" background before if we can call that guy a tuner in the first place, there is not too many real tuner in this world.
or builder will tell you that the most difficult environment to build and tune for is the mountains...
Nothing special requiered for mountain riding on the hardware, electronics tough must be build for that and all oem's hardware software is identical from east to west, only difference is the tune.
and yet you play it down like you can take your dyno tune, and with just a little bit of adjustment, make it run perfect in any environment.
depends what you call "a little bit of adjustment" but yes it is not that complicated to tune when you have the right tools(ECU).
Can't wait to see how that works out for you.
Me too!

YOu keep pointing out that Neils Boost It is 25 year old technology...
Yes it is, so is turbo, e.f.i.,all weel drive,transfercase,automatic transmission ect...is it more clear for you now?it is nothing new.
but all I've seen/heard/read is how awesome it works and how satisfied his customers are (and not from him, but from those who spent their hard earned money and are using it).
Have i said anywhere it wasn't what you call "working"?? Neil was fedup with other controller i guess and was looking to have a better running sled and found the type of injection compensation he is using and decided to change the name of the system for the sled application and that is(ask him who's company it was and how long it is existing in the car industry he will tell you....nothing wrong being around for 25 years!. Nm do a great job keeping his customer happy and it is showing me he is a good business man.

In the end, the proof will be in whether or not your system works
Do not even doubt it is working!
IN THE REAL WORLD..
I live in the same world as you my friend, physic laws are the same for you and me and all others.
.nobody cares about your 20,000 hrs of dyno time,
that is your opinion, a lot of smart guys care about it!!
or which company backs you,
A lot of people also care about who as developed the product....a lot of them!
or how much you think you know about EFI.
I am a novice in the e.f.i. world compare to our engineers and tuners....BUT feel like a pro when arguying with closed mind like a few of you guys!!

Good Luck.
thank you.... but at this stage of developement we do not need luck no more.

p.s.: why aren't you jumping in the thumb down dance with DUKE,NM,smokindave, ect...on each post i am posting?? :becky:

Last edited:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
glad someone spiced up the turbo yamaha section..

and you think that technology is old??? the propane stuff HP3 is putting out is using parts that havent changed since the 80's or earlier.. does it mean they dont work awsome aday in and day out? does it mean new is better?? nope. i run the same impco parts and it works insanely consistant day in and day out.. i know its not efi, but same program. it makes the XIC neil is selling look like rocket science. i have no iron in the fire as i dont even own an efi sled, i just think you guys are burning some serious bridges right now and are shooting yourself in the foot as far as trying to get a product to market.

new is not always better, last time someone came in here and told everybody they had the answer to there tunning issues was powederlites pedling rb3... seen a few for sale lately... but they magically adjust in the hills, its easy, dont worry... im not holding my breath.

Last edited:
B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
First off I apologize to Astro for being part of the thread Hijacking. When he posted pics of his 1500 turbo project last season it blew me away the sled is frickin gorgeous and well thought out. That commends a lot of respect from me, anyone the pushes this industry forward deserves respect even you Supra. There is a lot of time spent getting more power on the snow and it really has taken off in the last 5 years.

My problem with you Supra is your don’t come across as having much respect for the efi community on this forum, these guys have worked hard and put in a lot of time getting boosted sleds to work. There is a lot of smart people here, There would be a lot more people on this forum with a positive position to you if you quit coming across as a butplug, it is about respect. You don’t seem to understand that a 2-stroke is a difficulty platform to boost it is not the air pump like a four stroke. As you stated in your previous post to me your guys have no experience working with boosted 2-strokes.

You have not really slanders the other efi guys to much on this thread but you have in the past, if you deny that you do not understand what you have posted or have no retention of your previous posts.

I have not done any work setting up a standalone system nor do I want to because time is important to me and I would rather be riding than flipping open a lap top, I hate carrying a pc with me when I ride. I have worked with tables before and even have vi-pecs 4.8 software on a pc. I am capable of setting up a ecu but will not commit the amount of time needed because I feel it is not necessary.

So you built your controller and vi-pec put there name on it, that is impressive, you are using there firmware and software? Did they release there source codes to you, I doubt it is open source. As far as getting your system up and running perfect for the mountain turbo guys, there is no shortcut, it is going to take time I do not know how well vi-pecs target AF function will work on a 2-stoke, it will take a season.

Here is one of there rebuttals “ Do you mountain guys realy think you are a special place on earth??haven't you see cars, trucks, atvs,utvs,snowmobile riding around you? Up to now nobody had the tools to do the work right it is that simple.
“ First off there is a lot of mountain riders on this forum, you can say it is not directed at all of them but it seems to be. Statements like this tell me you are the one that does not know a lot about efi and. Other stuff driving around are not in a harsh environment like mountain sled I have seen new bone stock sleds run like crap in the mountains. Just because you don’t see does not mean there has not been a lot of R&D getting anything efi to run properly. Sled do not have the advantage of close loop O2, mass air flow sensors and conservable tuning you can not have that with a snowmobile and a 2-stroke has the narrowest window for tuning. You will never see a factory 2-stroke turbo sled because it would be a warrenty nightmare and would not be environmentally friendly.

Myself I am fortunate enough to build turbo kits as a hobby, I do a few a year, my fist 2-stroke was a stroked polaris twin with a aerocharger about 10 years ago. I do all my own work, machining, welding and the efi programming and setup. My hands are always dirty. This Sunday I am having a dyno session and bbq for a bunch of big HP Harley guys. I built a bike quad dyno last year and will fab up a car chassis dyno before the year is up.

I have to go cook some pork now, Show some respect and you will get it back.............. Butplug LOL

Last edited:

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
First off I apologize to Astro for being part of the thread Hijacking. When he posted pics of his 1500 turbo project last season it blew me away the sled is frickin gorgeous and well thought out. That commends a lot of respect from me, anyone the pushes this industry forward deserves respect even you Supra. There is a lot of time spent getting more power on the snow and it really has taken off in the last 5 years.

My problem with you Supra is your don’t come across as having much respect for the efi community on this forum, these guys have worked hard and put in a lot of time getting boosted sleds to work. There is a lot of smart people here, There would be a lot more people on this forum with a positive position to you if you quit coming across as a butplug, it is about respect. You don’t seem to understand that a 2-stroke is a difficulty platform to boost it is not the air pump like a four stroke. As you stated in your previous post to me your guys have no experience working with boosted 2-strokes.

You have not really slanders the other efi guys to much on this thread but you have in the past, if you deny that you do not understand what you have posted or have no retention of your previous posts.

I have not done any work setting up a standalone system nor do I want to because time is important to me and I would rather be riding than flipping open a lap top, I hate carrying a pc with me when I ride. I have worked with tables before and even have vi-pecs 4.8 software on a pc. I am capable of setting up a ecu but will not commit the amount of time needed because I feel it is not necessary.

So you built your controller and vi-pec put there name on it, that is impressive, you are using there firmware and software? Did they release there source codes to you, I doubt it is open source. As far as getting your system up and running perfect for the mountain turbo guys, there is no shortcut, it is going to take time I do not know how well vi-pecs target AF function will work on a 2-stoke, it will take a season.

Here is one of there rebuttals “ Do you mountain guys realy think you are a special place on earth??haven't you see cars, trucks, atvs,utvs,snowmobile riding around you? Up to now nobody had the tools to do the work right it is that simple.
“ First off there is a lot of mountain riders on this forum, you can say it is not directed at all of them but it seems to be. Statements like this tell me you are the one that does not know a lot about efi and. Other stuff driving around are not in a harsh environment like mountain sled I have seen new bone stock sleds run like crap in the mountains. Just because you don’t see does not mean there has not been a lot of R&D getting anything efi to run properly. Sled do not have the advantage of close loop O2, mass air flow sensors and conservable tuning you can not have that with a snowmobile and a 2-stroke has the narrowest window for tuning. You will never see a factory 2-stroke turbo sled because it would be a warrenty nightmare and would not be environmentally friendly.

Myself I am fortunate enough to build turbo kits as a hobby, I do a few a year, my fist 2-stroke was a stroked polaris twin with a aerocharger about 10 years ago. I do all my own work, machining, welding and the efi programming and setup. My hands are always dirty. This Sunday I am having a dyno session and bbq for a bunch of big HP Harley guys. I built a bike quad dyno last year and will fab up a car chassis dyno before the year is up.

I have to go cook some pork now, Show some respect and you will get it back.............. Butplug LOL

Very well said....Butplug... LOL.... now that there is funny!!!

S

supraturbo

Banned
Sep 9, 2008
quebec canada
First off I apologize to Astro for being part of the thread Hijacking.
It is not very nice from all of us i have to agree.
When he posted pics of his 1500 turbo project last season it blew me away the sled is frickin gorgeous and well thought out. That commends a lot of respect from me, anyone the pushes this industry forward deserves respect even you Supra. There is a lot of time spent getting more power on the snow and it really has taken off in the last 5 years.
I agree with you.

My problem with you Supra is your don’t come across as having much respect for the efi community on this forum, these guys have worked hard and put in a lot of time getting boosted sleds to work.
I don't understand why you are telling me that?? i have a lot of respect for all of the guys out there that have been working on e.f.i. solutions, what's pissing me off is guys with little knowledge (not negative) trying to make their points by agressively puting people down with racist comments, and bull$hit posting to foul people around intentionaly.
There is a lot of smart people here, There would be a lot more people on this forum with a positive position to you if you quit coming across as a butplug, it is about respect.
I have read all of your post and i don't think guys like Duke,NM,you, and smokindave have nothing to teach me about respect, in fact if there is some rude guys around this forum it as to be you and that little gang of yours.i am aware there is a lot of young guys on here with not too much understanding of e.f.i. and there is SO much bull$hit around....they need to be informed.
You don’t seem to understand that a 2-stroke is a difficulty platform to boost it is not the air pump like a four stroke. As you stated in your previous post to me your guys have no experience working with boosted 2-strokes.
I think it is you Boyko who doesn't understand that we have been working for the past two years on 2 stroke??not the opposite. 4 stroke engine do not have secrets for us no more, for the last 12 years, our tuner/engineer as done it all......always perfect? no, but our tuner record is pretty damn good. we realy understand boosting a 2 stroke "correctly" is a challenge but now that we have the right tool to "tune" e.f.i. correctly and manage all sensors for added security it is going to be a new way of taking care of business. a two stroke will always be a 2 stroke therefore not as reliable as a 4 stroke but how much more fun to drive!!

I turn ugly when i read to much crap....

I have not done any work setting up a standalone system nor do I want to because time is important to me and I would rather be riding than flipping open a lap top, I hate carrying a pc with me when I ride.
This sentence exactly confirm you do not understand what an ecu is.
I have worked with tables before and even have vi-pecs 4.8 software on a pc.
If you have worked before with a vi-pec standalone how in the world are you doubting this ecu will have a 2 stroke work correctly then??
I am capable of setting up a ecu but will not commit the amount of time needed because I feel it is not necessary.
maybe you do not want to commit the time for a good tune but other will...like us... that is why we built that ecu and want to share our knowledge and excitment with other HP freaks.

So you built your controller and vi-pec put there name on it, that is impressive, you are using there firmware and software?
In the post you are refering to for this sentence, read it carefully!!! it was a sarcastic joke!! all of the design and codes and firmware is vi-pec sole property. I have send a sled in new zealand with an engine dyno and our tuner/engineer to build from a to z a new ecu "direct factory replacement", all the work has been done by vi-pec engineers in new zealand....in fact one of the sled is still in new zealand getting the ECU perfected ast the same time we are fine tuning base mapping to make sure all is good.
Did they release there source codes to you, I doubt it is open source. As far as getting your system up and running perfect for the mountain turbo guys, there is no shortcut, it is going to take time
i agree with you.but how much time? this i don't know only time will tell but i know we are taking this project realy seriously.
I do not know how well vi-pecs, target AF function will work on a 2-stoke, it will take a season.
This is exactly the kind of affirmation you should not say.You don't know nothing about the software and technology of This ECU and yet you know it is going to take a season???

“ First off there is a lot of mountain riders on this forum, you can say it is not directed at all of them but it seems to be.
It is directed to mountain riders thinking they are better, or more special than any other rider like a FEW of you guys.
Statements like this tell me you are the one that does not know a lot about efi
Boyko, the easiest part to tune on a e.f.i. machine is the wide open throttle(because of the linearisation of the air flow.) wich you mountain guys are always on. It is many time harder to fine tune a map for someone boondocking who is on and off throttle all the time but this you don't know obviously. the only big problem you guys have to overcome is the chute in air density when big clouds at 10 000 ft drop down temperature down by 10 degrees(as an example), for me the load on the engine is not a proble because it will be engine dyno tuned from 0%-100%.
Other stuff driving around are not in a harsh environment like mountain sled
Please explain....a truck climbing a muddy or snowy hill from 6000 ft to 8000 ft will experience the same condition as the sled will simply not as fast as sleds.engine load will vary from 0-100% like you guys, temperature drop down and air density is equal for all motors. up to now, there weren't "tool" to tune properly those things(in the sled industry)
I have seen new bone stock sleds run like crap in the mountains.
do you sincerly think we have never seen a bone stock sled run like crap here? most of the time is it hardware problems. if the same sled runs just fine with same mapping then you know you have hardware problems .
Just because you don’t see does not mean there has not been a lot of R&D getting anything efi to run properly.
Have i ever said that??
Sled do not have the advantage of close loop O2,
No commercial vehicule runs on 100% O2 close loop !
mass air flow sensors and conservable tuning you can not have that with a snowmobile and a 2-stroke has the narrowest window for tuning.
2 stroke vs 4 stroke...
You will never see a factory 2-stroke turbo sled because it would be a warrenty nightmare and would not be environmentally friendly.
it is obvious....but we all hp freaks do it anyway!!! that is why i came up with this ECU....to take the failure probability at the minimum, managind all functions and sensors and extra functionality to make sure we give you the best possible experience.

Awsome!! i am then offering you to use your facilities for us to go fine tune our rmk turbo in altitude and your terrain knowledge will certainly help. This is not a joke, it is a real offer. let me know where you live and we will show up at your place if you can help with garage,engine dyno(of course) and a bit specialized tooling(clutching we are no Pro and have a lot to learn).....let me know if interested.
Even if temptation is enormous, i will hold myslef and stay polite to you just to show you some "respect"......nothing you have assimilated obviously.
p.s.: my offer stays.

I think we(NM,DUKE,you smokindave, zipernno and a few others) should stop arguying because we are all hard headed bastard and will not drop the puck.....For me it was my last post on this thread.Pm me for the offer i submitted to you.

Last edited:
J

jvb

Nov 26, 2007
Bottom line is if it works in the mountains ( for us guys out west) and normal people can "tune" it then you will probably sell some units, but until it is seen rippin in the "mountains" noone is going to buy it. I pretty much know nothing about efi, but i do know when my sled runs like chit and it is frustrating to not beable to to fix it right there and then. I do know that i ran into about 10 poeple this year in revy that had switched to nm system and everyone said it was the best money they ever spent and couldnt be happier. Nothing worse than having a 30k sled that wont run, i've been there and wasted many a wonderful days. In the end i as a consumer just want my sled to run and be able to tweek it a little if i need to. Hope it works out, competition is always good.

B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
If I met ya on the trail Supra I would stop and have a beer with ya, and if I had the facilities I would like to have ya over to tune.

So thanks for the offer of using my homemade dyno to tune your sled ……………… but my dyno don’t roll that way, its for bikes or quads, it is a single drum.

Another problem is I am at 2400 feet, mountains are about 5 hours away, and your sled won’t fit on my dyno.

I did take the time to take a picture of a pulled pork wiener sandwich for you. Them are really popular in Alberta and BC, mountain rides love them. NM always has one in his pocket

The dyno is in the background.

img0559xn.jpg

Last edited:
G
Apr 23, 2008
Well here is the problem. We have a guy or guys showing up on snowest trying to impress everyone with Dyno numbers and 4 seconds of wide open on a drag strip. How does this apply to the west?????Not sure. It's not snowmidwest or snoweast...its Snowest. If these guys would show us something that is running in the mountains and impress us all, then great, let's see it. If they want to build drag racers and impress a bunch of mountain sledders, they are probably wasting everyones time.
I will ask a question. Who besides Impulse has a Standalone fuel system working in the mountains? Not just running, but something they can show video of.

We have a fuel system working and have plenty of video and customer endorsements to back it up. Yet people come out and tell me it's a joke, or it's not technical enough. Is that what mountain riders want? More technical? Something you need a laptop to tune up the mountain, or worse...ride it running like a bag of crap until someone can tune it?

I think these nay sayers should either leave or post up some proof of their stuff running in the mountains. I for one am getting tired of it.

Dont be a punk NEil, your system was a flop you did NOT stand behind it, in fact you passed the buck back to the real developers so they could hold onto it for 4 weeks then send it back still NOT working..

your a punk,, period, now when you get to setting records or even making some power you come over and I'll teach you the lesson your ignorance deserves.

HOW bout my MONEY BACK ??

see me,, I dont hide PUNK

S

supraturbo

Banned
Sep 9, 2008
quebec canada
Dont be a punk NEil, your system was a flop you did NOT stand behind it, in fact you passed the buck back to the real developers so they could hold onto it for 4 weeks then send it back still NOT working..

your a punk,, period, now when you get to setting records or even making some power you come over and I'll teach you the lesson your ignorance deserves.

HOW bout my MONEY BACK ??

see me,, I dont hide PUNK

oouuccchhh!!!! :face-icon-small-win

Premium Features