• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Can't get bearings off the axel... help!

Jul 22, 2009
Hey guys - I'm trying to add the SJ drop kit to my sled. Pulled off the idler wheels but I can't get the bearing off of the axel to save my life!!! Am I missing something? I've tried a wheel puller, pounding them with a hammer, and liquid wrench. Nothing seems to work. The sled only has 644 miles on it so it's not like it's even been used that much.

Any advice (besides eating more wheaties)? Anyone else have this problem? Thanks...

Idcatman1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, Idaho
Arctic cat makes a puller for those wheels. I don't know the part number right off. What I do is pull the snap ring on the idler wheel, it is not easy, a second pair of hands and a couple small screwdrivers helps. You have to rotate it to just the right position so you have room to get your snap ring tool past the spring. Then tap the wheel off the bearing and then you can get a gear puller on just the bearing without wrecking the plastic idler.
Good luck

Nov 26, 2007
Kent,Wa.
proper tools help huge..........

I used a "bearing splitter" and a steering wheel type puller. A bearing splitter does not damage the bearing, it also might have another name? They are usually a two piece cast tool, with two bolts that hold the halfs together. Also, has two threaded holes (one in each half) to fasten the steering wheel puller, with two longer bolts. I wish I had a pic. NAPA auto parts would probably have this on the shelf. Good luck, even with the right tools they are tight. -00's

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Made my own puller with two steel plates, Drilled 1.00+ hole and clamped together with bolts. Screwed wheel puller and tightened and banged at same time, Repeated over and over. Fun project, Scrapped the wheels and drilled pivot arms and installed 2.75" wheels 1.25" below pivot bushing. Now track doesn't over tighten when compressed.

Mike

Jul 22, 2009
Thank you Rixster

Took a grinder with a cutting wheel to them last night and had them off in 10 min. Good thing Rixster gave that advice b/c I was about ready to start throwing hammers through my garage wall. Piece of cake once you get the stock wheels/bearings off.

Thanks again.

Premium Features