• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

800 XCR Gen 2 mod cluthcing help

R
Mar 14, 2009
Havre, MT
Im finishing a build on a 99 chasis with a 800 xcr in it, I am trying to fiqure out what i need for cluthing and gearing. Ive had the sled for 3 years and cant get it to pull very hard. Here are some spec and things ive done. The motor was rebuild last year, new pistons, gaskets, exhaust valves and cups, i put new v-force 3 reeds in it and running SLP pipes. I was told the motor has motor had the SLP porting. I had one of the carb slides brake and have rebulit them with the new upgraded slides. It has a 163 track, and a TSS98 secondary clutch. I cant remeber the primary weights but it has a newer cluthc and a new square white spring. I can look and get the weight size and info on the secondary. I was told last year that the current gear ratio was way high and should go to a lower ratio. I will have to look and see what gears are on it, I did count them last year and have it written on the side of the cover. Any help would be great.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
XCR

I built one of these in an 01 GenII. Gear it to 1.95 or 2.05. With the 163, lower will save on the belt. I can't remember what weights I used but I did use the Almond spring or it's equivelant. Mine had SLP pipes and heads. Pipes only made it lighter. Do yourself a favor and go back to the button secondary.
I messed with mine a full season and never could get it to pull and hold RPM. I simply put the button clutch back on without changing anything else and it pulled like a freight train and would hold 8150 all day long. I ran a 159 x 2.4 series VI track. It would trench with the 156x2 but the 159 was great. Your 163 should be too. Give it plenty or air vents on the pipes and clutch. Seal the air intake so it doesn't pull under hood hot air. It will boog if you don't. I ran stock Gen II coolers and it cooled fine except on hard pack then scratchers took care of that.

M

markis24

Mar 30, 2008
Northwest WA
Need some more info, what rpm does it hold? what gears? what spring/helix in the tss98? elevation and snow conditions? carb jetting? running an airbox?

R
Mar 14, 2009
Havre, MT
Ok a little more information that i have, I dont have a big problem holding RPMs once i get them up, the main problem is in deep power I cant get the RPMS up, it just bogs. The gears are: Top 21, Bottom 39, 1.85. The team secondary has a red/black spring in it with a 58-40-46/58-38-46 helix in it, and i believe the 58-38-46 is on the rollers. I ride mainly 3000-6000 ft. Im not sure about the jetting will have to tear carbs apart or see if i can find where i wrote it last year. Im running a gutted air box with 2 hole in the top.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
rpm

Put a new primary spring in it. Blue/pink from Starting Line is about the same as the old almond. Sounds like it may be loading too heavy and not allowing the RPM to build. Where does it engauge? If about 4500 then helix is too steep on the inital. If lower then primary spring is sagged out.
Make sure the belt is riding all the way up to the outer edge in the driven, if not you can adjust it with the lock nut and allen screw on the outside of the team or replace the belt. While you are at it check the belt clearance in the primary. It should be the thickness of a playing card. If wider then check and see what it is with a new belt. If tighter then the old belt is shot. If the same then the primary needs the shim changed.

Last edited:
D
Dec 5, 2012
XCR 800 set up

Hello if you run 0- 3000 ft use in secondary the Polaris Silver/blue spring in # 2 hole with a Polaris R12 helix. But what you need to do is cut the back of the Helix .050 to .060 to make sure the helix is at the top of the ramp.

Engage a around 4000 rpm start with 10-62 wt.
I have used the stock gear and I love the top end along with not blowing the track away all the time when racing on the lake.
My gearing is 109 mph at 1:1 on the clutch 24/39 Stock
Most of the time I can see 119 mph to 122 on a gps on a good hard pack.
And no this not a race sled it is my trail sled. When we race it is until someone win's not a finish line type of race.

Last edited:
D
Dec 5, 2012
XCR 800

If you have after market pipes call the MFG. Stock pipes use 440 and in 2003 used 430 jet for 0-3000 ft in +5 to +25 air Aprox.
Put the airbox back on and make sure you have a lot of air going in the top.
I have two air opening on my sled,

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Hello if you run 0- 3000 ft use in secondary the Polaris Silver/blue spring in # 2 hole with a Polaris R12 helix. But what you need to do is cut the back of the Helix .050 to .060 to make sure the helix is at the top of the ramp.

Engage a around 4000 rpm start with 10-62 wt.
I have used the stock gear and I love the top end along with not blowing the track away all the time when racing on the lake.
My gearing is 109 mph at 1:1 on the clutch 24/39 Stock
Most of the time I can see 119 mph to 122 on a gps on a good hard pack.
And no this not a race sled it is my trail sled. When we race it is until someone win's not a finish line type of race.

That setup isnt going to work pulling a 163 track in deep snow. I do agree however that this sled will do WAY better with the button secondary.

Last edited:
Premium Features