• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

600 rpm question

07dragon

Apr 8, 2010
the gf and i took out our sleds today, first time with her 600. we ride 8000-10,000 ft. on the trail the sled would rip and could easily hit 7900 rpm. in the powder, i could hardly get it to go up past 7100-7300.

i dont know what it has for weights, springs, helix or gears yet. but it seems to rip good on the trail but lose some rpms in the powder. does this sould like it needs different weights, springs, helix or gears? it runs awesome, i just want to get it to pull 8000-8250 in the powder

thanks, and its the 600 in sig

07dragon

Apr 8, 2010
no one at all? im thinking it might just need geared different?? in my head, i am thinking maybe its geared to high, so in easy go terrain, aka trail, it rips. but in the powder and situations that puts a load on it, the gears are to high and it cnt pull the rpms. with lower gear ratio, like 19/42, it should still give me good rpm on the trail, rip hard but not have the top end speed. maybe lose a few mph. but in the powder and "load" situations, the lower gears will help rev the motor up to where she should be.

i may need to mess with the weights also to gain the last 2-300 rpm, but in my head it seems like gearing the chaincase lower will help bring the rpm in "loaded" situations up to par with the trail ride rpm, and then clutch weights to make the rpm in the perfect range.

does this sounds right or is it a lot different than i imagen?

Ski-Dont89

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2010
WYOMING
you need to figure out what the clutching setup is now...then im sure people on here can help you...if its a clutching issue gearing down will help but its not going to cure it. might be time to freshen up the springs and do some simple clutch maintenance... check belt deflection and then check alignment...every rmk 600 i have rode pulls hard with stock gearing.

also on the trail if you can only pull 7900 then your clutching definitely needs some attention.

IMO put the money in the clutching and leave the gearing

Ski-Dont89

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2010
WYOMING
you should be able to look at the spring through the primary and tell what it is... wouldnt hurt to pull the secondary off and check it out also

07dragon

Apr 8, 2010
i think if i have the time tomorrow, i will pull them both off and check them out. ill look at the springs and the weights and try to wash them the best i know how. i hope i can find somehting simple to replace to make it run right on the money.... like weights and/or springs

07dragon

Apr 8, 2010
checked it out. it has blue/pink drive spring and mtx 62g weight with rivet and weighs in at 62.5g. local dealer had some without rivet so they gave me them for free. they weigh in at 61.5g so i will put them in and try them out. im going to go try and clean as much as i can with the tools i have.

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
So searching these forums, I can't seem to find a thread with what these 600's should be getting for rpms. I just bought two and one hits 7700 and haven't got the other one out on the snow yet. Both are stock 07 and 08 600 HO carb. seems these should run around the same or higher rpms as the 8's since they are smaller displacements/ shorter strokes.

S
Oct 16, 2008
I have owned a carbed 6 and have a buddy who runs an 07 6 CFI both machines performed better in the 8200-8300 range. We are low alt. so I'm not sure if that would make a difference. IMO the 8's for trial like to be 8100-8200 where as the 6's like to rev a little higher in that 8200-8300 range.

Premium Features