• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Wash and Dry your Klim and MotorFist Gear

FirstPlaceParts

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Mina, SD
www.FirstPlaceParts.com
Hello:

I posted this a couple of seasons ago so I thought it was time to say it again. We went to a couple of shows and people were surprised when I told them to wash and dry their Klim Gear.

Here are some direct quotes from the Gore-Tex site;

"Wash your garment as often as you need to. In fact, washing and tumble-drying will actually help restore the water-repellency performance of a GORE-TEX® garment."

"There's no mystery here. Just toss your GORE-TEX® garment in the washing machine in warm (104° F/40° C) water. Use powder or liquid detergent, but skip the fabric softener and chlorine bleach, please. Then tumble-dry on a normal warm setting and you're ready to go. That's it. Be sure to read the manufacturer's care tag in your garment for specific instructions."

Thanks
Mark

FirstPlaceParts

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Mina, SD
www.FirstPlaceParts.com
Wash Your Gear

Thought I would re-post this, you need to wash and more importantly DRY your Klim and MotorFist Gear a couple times per year if you ride a lot. When it gets dirty the pores that let the moisture out will get dirt in them and not let the moisture out but will instead let moisture in.

So wash and dry your gear.

FirstPlaceParts

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Mina, SD
www.FirstPlaceParts.com
Wash and Dry your Gear

There was a little confusion in another forum post so here is an update.

Yes ReviveX is a good product it used to be a Gore-Tex licensed product but they parted ways, not sure why.

A little more clarification, all of this comes from the Gore-Tex web site. Here is a link to their site if needed: Gore-Tex Washing Info

WASH
Machine wash on a warm permanent press cycle (105º F/40º C) using a small amount of liquid detergent. Rinse twice, minimize spinning to reduce creasing. Do not use powder detergents or any products that contain fabric softeners, conditioners, stain removers or bleach as they will affect garment performance. Do not wash with heavily soiled clothing.

DRY
Line dry your garment, or tumble dry it on a warm, gentle cycle. Once it is dry, tumble dry your garment for 20 minutes to reactivate the durable water-repellent (DWR) treatment on the outer fabric.

WATER REPELLENT TREATMENT
When the factory applied treatment can no longer be reactivated, apply a new water-repellent treatment available as a pump-spray or wash-in product to the garment's outer fabric.

******* I think some people may get confused here, they are really talking about two things at once. What they mean by "Factory Applied Treatment" is on the outside of the garment. The actual Gore-Tex membrane will not let water through even if you stand in the shower. But the outside of the garment can get saturated with water and this is what the spray is for, to keep the water beading off the outside.

Take a NEW piece of Klim gear and pour water on it, it just beads off. Then take one a few years old that has not been retreated and the water will absorb into the outer layer. This is why you need to retreat the garment.
Here is a link to all our ReviveX Products: ReviveX

Premium Features