• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

07 D-7 electrical

07dragon

Apr 8, 2010
just bought myself a 2007 dragon 700 155. has 1259 miles, slp pipe, can clutched to slp recomendation, slp intake, electric start. bought it last friday, took it up saturday, ran awesome for 3.5 hours. then out of no where, she died on me. after cooling for a bit, she started for about 30 seconds then died again and had smoke coming out of the ecu. towed it off the mountain, called the guy i bought it from, and he said he had never had an issue so he would call a mechanic friend and ask if he had asny idea. long story short, his friend swapped somwthing off my sled onto his own sled to see what was wrong with his sled, then supposodly put it back on my sled. took the sled to a shop on wednesday, they slapped on a new ecu, within 5 seconds of being put on, new box burned up. so he got another and a different voltage regulator put them both on, hooked the computer up to the sled to monitor volts and everyting, and after putting on the regulator, and ecu and flashing it, it ran great for 5 minutes idle and reving. computer showed volts were around high 13. and low 14. so he sent me on my way... that was yesterday. today started it once in my pickup to see if it still worked and hear it cuz its my new toy and it ran great for about 4 minutes. ran to town came back home. screwed the plastics back on, closed the hood, started it up, no dash display or taillight. just like when the mechanic put the new ecu on and it burned within 5 seconds.

what else could it be? stator? i dont know anyhting about these new cfi's this is our first one. any more ideas? im takin it up tomorrow and they are going to look at it monday. maybe a bare wire somewhere? the 3 hours i ran it i loved it, but is it worth this trouble?

W

whitegold46

Mar 3, 2008
Smithers, B.C.
I have an '08 800 D with similar electrical issues!! I am now on my 3rd regulator, 2nd ECU and 2nd stator....... GRRRR!!!!!! The dash keeps going out, but at least it continues to run.....for now!! I will follow this to see what is suggested.

Thanks....

L

lognomore

Oct 25, 2008
Red Bluff, Ca.
Search for Protecting the ecu and you will find a lot of info on the subject. I had the same problem at the beginning of the season ending up replacing the stator, ECU, and voltage regulator. Haven't had any more problems since. Also some of us decided that you need ground wires from the engine to the chassis and the mounting plate for the ECU and voltage regulator. There is a wire from the engine to the chassis but it is in the wiring harness. Just believe that the extra wire will be beneficial along with the wire in the harness for the ground. Where the voltage regulator is mounted there is not much air flow around it so I mounted a computer fan under the belt holder to keep air flowing through there. That VR does get pretty warm. Hopefully someone on here that is better then me on a computer can hook you up to that thread. Don't give up on that D7 because it is a great machine.

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
Lots of good reading here CLICKY

700 CFI Stator issues here CLICKY

Both the above links and lots of other good info is found in a sticky thread in the top of this IQ section titled "Increasing Your IQ"

When our 07 700 started frying electrical stuff I found 2 bare wire locations. Check all the wiring around the steering post and especially where the harnass passes through the cowling mount bracket. Also, I had a bare wire at the rear tail light.

I added the additional ground wires on both the 07 and 08 as mentioned above and no issues since. I used and 8 ga "tinned" marine grade wire with epoxy heat shrink connectors. Hope ya get it figured out. EW

100_0578.jpg

100_0579.jpg

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
Here is the Protecting the ECU thread that lognomore mentioned. Bring that back up if you have some questions or ideas. Hope you get it figured out.
I went to NAPA and bought a ground strap. Went from the common ground that EricW showed in his second picture to the steel chassis support that runs next to the clutch/electrical cover.
I also relocated the capacitor over to the shock tower area so it was no longer recieving heat from the Voltage regulator. This was a key to keeping the voltage regulator cool too. I run a mesh hood so I removed the electical cover for best cooling. Otherwise, I think using a computer fan like these guys were doing was an excellent idea.

07dragon

Apr 8, 2010
thanks guys. got it back from the dealer. they checked everything out, including stator and everything checked out fine. the re-routed some wires and cable, but said now when it idels low and dies, and the dash and lights dont work, rev it up, it to low rpm to make the power to power the electronics. tried it the other day and that worked. heading up tomorrow to try it out. only 2nd time on the mountain with this sled and its already been to the shop 2 times, so i am hoping it runs awesome and im not getting towed back to the trailer again

Premium Features