• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Wossner Vs. Wiseco

A
Dec 19, 2011
ive used wiseco and wossner.

wossner gets the nod, all there pistons have very nice coating and the sizing of the wisecos isnt as precise as the wossners. The tolerances of the german made wossners vs american made wisecos is superior.

Alot of wisecos dont have coatings, all wossners have a nice coating. and if you need oil holes you have to drill the wisecos. The wossners come setup out of the box drilled if they need tobe drilled.

O
Dec 6, 2007
That is an impossible comparison. Wossner makes the stock pistons for Polaris, and clearly they are garbage. Wossner also makes differnet pistons for some of the fix kits that appear to be a whole lot better than the garbage stock ones. Wiseco's typically need more care during warm up and during the hot shut down/restart cycle.

I like the tight tolerances RKT/Wossner versions have. Lighter, more consistant with improved port timing. No special treatment needed, and they seem to be well proven over the last few years.

W

Wood

Dec 7, 2007
Hey just trying to get some opinions and what peoples experiences are and which one they think are better between the two pistons.
Thanks!

Wisecos are definitely better for cold seizures, losing locating pins and breaking skirts. They also make a hell of a paperweight and if you flip them over, they also double as a stylish ashtray for the garage. Yep, Wisecos are way better. :eyebrows:

Last edited:

freak485

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2011
Billings, MT
Never had a problem with Weiscos just put a set in got about 200 miles on them no issues never had any issues in any of my racing bikes and i would get 50 hours out of them on my 450 and i ran it hard doing hair scrambels. Need to let them warm up, proper warm up is key to any motor. Starting them up and screaming down the street after you just come out of the bar wont do any of them any good no matter what brand.

G

garett87

Aug 26, 2009
Saskatchewan
That is an impossible comparison. Wossner makes the stock pistons for Polaris, and clearly they are garbage. Wossner also makes differnet pistons for some of the fix kits that appear to be a whole lot better than the garbage stock ones. Wiseco's typically need more care during warm up and during the hot shut down/restart cycle.

I like the tight tolerances RKT/Wossner versions have. Lighter, more consistant with improved port timing. No special treatment needed, and they seem to be well proven over the last few years.

Stock polaris pistons are made by ASSO in India.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010

Wossner makes forged pistons. Stock pistons are cast.
Amazing the false info that gets spewed out on these sites.

O
Dec 6, 2007
Wossner makes forged pistons. Stock pistons are cast.
Amazing the false info that gets spewed out on these sites.

Funny because that is exactly where I read it. Agreed that there is TONS of bad piston info on this site.

To say Wossner only makes forged pistons has been discussed as well. I seriously doubt they limit their business to only forged pistons. Probably a whole nother thread full of bad info there...

So how do I know your info is correct? Whose info is really correct because I have read it so many different ways now and it all seems like a matter of opinion.

I read it here as well... http://2strokeheads.com/Polarispistons.htm

Probably my bad assumption that when it says "Wossner production pistons" being different than the RKT version, I assumed he meant they were producing them for Polaris' production line.

Last edited:
R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Funny because that is exactly where I read it. Agreed that there is TONS of bad piston info on this site.

To say Wossner only makes forged pistons has been discussed as well. I seriously doubt they limit their business to only forged pistons. Probably a whole nother thread full of bad info there...

So how do I know your info is correct? Whose info is really correct because I have read it so many different ways now and it all seems like a matter of opinion.

I read it here as well... http://2strokeheads.com/Polarispistons.htm

Probably my bad assumption that when it says "Wossner production pistons" being different than the RKT version, I assumed he meant they were producing them for Polaris' production line.

http://www.wossnerpistons.com/

Wossner website. Maker of forged pistons.
Again your assumption of them also making cast pistons is wrong.

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
--I believe I read on the Wossner site the pistons are forged but due to their metallurgy, the forged pistons act like cast, so you get the best of both worlds. The forged Wossners are also lighter.

--Wossners all the way...Wossner would never put their name on a oem Polaris piston, unless they were to get bought out by Polaris stockholders...

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Hey just trying to get some opinions and what peoples experiences are and which one they think are better between the two pistons.
Thanks!

In one particular application using Wiseco pistons(Carl's Cycle 910) we had empirical evidence of piston collapse almost immediately after starting the engine. Having the engine torn down numerous times trying to find an elusive coolant leak we were shocked to see brand new pistons showing .003" to .005" collapse after less than 100 miles. Despite having been blue-printed on each re-assembly along with extremely religious engine warm-up practices the Wisecos would not hold their shape.

That being said, there are thousands of engines out there using Wisecos that have been rebuilt in people's garages with nothing more than a ball hone & nothing even close to a measuring device that have run many miles without issue. Just look at the success of the MTNTK Fix Kit. It runs Wiseco pistons & probably has the highest volume of kits out on the snow with nothing but good results.

I used Wossner(RK Tek) pistons in my machine & did so because it was the cheapest/quickest fix to address the excessive piston to cylinder wall clearance that plagues most of the 800 CFI2 engines. I just don't have enough miles on mine to provide an accurate reference on their durability.

Personally, I'd like to see some feedback from those running the Wossner & Wiseco pistons in terms of some actual piston measurements confirming whether there has been any significant collapse of the skirt after a significant period of use(1500 miles or more). Given the design of the engine & the fact that forged pistons are somewhat soft it may not even be realistic to expect them to hold their shape. With that taken into consideration using a high quality cast piston installed into a bore that has been prepped to the proper specs. may actually be the best alternative...........

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
I have an 11 pro with the MKT fix kit installed at 500 miles ,,now have over 3000 still nice and quiet, no clacking and stills pulls hard! I am religious about the warm up though!

Premium Features