• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch guard stay or go

D
Mar 3, 2008
Just going thru my new summit xm , and looking at the clutch guard , it looks like this would hold heat in , has anyone tested this ? It says on it cvt cooling system do not remove , so what's everyone doing with these should I rip it off and vent or leave it alone.thanks

C

CBX

Jan 21, 2008
I cant speak to the Xm, but on an Xp it works. I wished I had wrote it down what the temp reduction was. I want to say it was 20-30 deg measured by a raytek gun.

Try it and measure it. If nothing else, it does keep the left foot well unthawed all the time.:bounce:

slash

Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2008
IDAHO FALLS 83404
well big debate remove it and see how it works, just remember If your clutch blows up theres NOTHING to protect you .

H
Oct 20, 2008
Northern Utah
well big debate remove it and see how it works, just remember If your clutch blows up theres NOTHING to protect you .

They are only talking taking off the massive plastic shroud riveted to the clutch guard.

The number I was told by the ski-doo rep was 30 deg. Also you cant remove any foam or cut any of the plastic off ( like the tool holder on xp) or it will not seal right and the clutch will not work as a fan to move the air through. Also vent kits wont let it work right either.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Not to sound like a broken record, but yes....it works. It moves a LOT of air out the footwell and also prevents the clutch from grinding through the side panel if you lay it over.
JFYI...Those with the earlier versions of this "duct" should look at the bracing on the newer style, it is now almost impossible for it to flex into the clutch...a brace at the footwell and another aluminum brace riveted to the backside of the duct.

toddb

Premium Member
Nov 14, 2010
Chanhassen,MN
FYI

My dealer told me not to put quick clickers on becuase they can hit the cover and shred it.

C

CBX

Jan 21, 2008
FYI

My dealer told me not to put quick clickers on becuase they can hit the cover and shred it.

Only when you over fill the blinker fluid will the quick clickers rub...... And if the muffler belt is loose.

Your dealer doesn't know what the foxtrot he's talking about. They don't rub. Ever. If they rub, you already have a 10" hole in the CVT cover, and probably your side panel.

apex jeff

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
columbia falls mt
Not to sound like a broken record, but yes....it works. It moves a LOT of air out the footwell and also prevents the clutch from grinding through the side panel if you lay it over.
JFYI...Those with the earlier versions of this "duct" should look at the bracing on the newer style, it is now almost impossible for it to flex into the clutch...a brace at the footwell and another aluminum brace riveted to the backside of the duct.

You are correct about the grinding, after it goes through the side panel, the pants,skin,and bone take a beating:eek::yuck: Happened to 2 separate riders in our area.

P
Mar 8, 2012
Only when you over fill the blinker fluid will the quick clickers rub...... And if the muffler belt is loose.

Your dealer doesn't know what the foxtrot he's talking about. They don't rub. Ever. If they rub, you already have a 10" hole in the CVT cover, and probably your side panel.

It's not just the dealer, the Ski-Doo guys at the booth for the Snowest UT how also said you can't run the quick clickers because the side panels on the XM are trimmed up and closer in to the clutches.

Yella Belly

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Yakima, WA
If your going to take it off, remember to shut the sled off first. This is not covered in the manual. I have let skidoo know about this but they are not dooing anything about it.

Uh, no wunder my fingers hurt... Thanks for this info.. I made a big sticker and put it on the side panel to warn me next time... :) heh heh.. :jaw:

Premium Features