• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

helmets

bighillm7

Lifetime Membership
Sep 21, 2011
Central Iowa
I wasn't sure where to put this so here it is. Which helmet and goggle combo and why? I am in the market for a new set and am looking for something light and comfy but reasonably priced. Will be used for mountain riding only. Boondocking mostly. I have worn a full face my whole riding life. I wear it with the shield up so it is easier to see lol. I had a friend of mine that first took me to the mountains tell me that with a full face in an avy at least you have a minute or two extra air in your helmet. Made sense to me, but after being around an avy rescue or two I doubt that would be the case. So I am thinking of trying a helmet and goggles this year. What say you guys??

Lacombe08

Lifetime Membership
Feb 6, 2017
Look at the B-Power carbon fiber helmet with Goggles. Great price, very light with the quick disconnect
I wasn't sure where to put this so here it is. Which helmet and goggle combo and why? I am in the market for a new set and am looking for something light and comfy but reasonably priced. Will be used for mountain riding only. Boondocking mostly. I have worn a full face my whole riding life. I wear it with the shield up so it is easier to see lol. I had a friend of mine that first took me to the mountains tell me that with a full face in an avy at least you have a minute or two extra air in your helmet. Made sense to me, but after being around an avy rescue or two I doubt that would be the case. So I am thinking of trying a helmet and goggles this year. What say you guys??

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Not trying to take a dig at you but I always think its hilarious when people have price as a priority on getting a helmet. Would you be the guy that was trying to buy the cheapest parachute as well? :face-icon-small-con

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
Not trying to take a dig at you but I always think its hilarious when people have price as a priority on getting a helmet. Would you be the guy that was trying to buy the cheapest parachute as well? :face-icon-small-con

He said "reasonably priced" Meaning, he don't want to go out and spend $1000 on a helmet I would assume.. You don't need to spend the most amount of money you can, to have a good helmet. You can buy one "reasonably priced" and still be comfortable and safe.

I'm thinking the CKX Titan will be my next helmet. It has an excellent range of view and is sealed up quite well for cold weather and snow. Price isn't too bad considering it comes with its own goggles fitted for the helmet.

Old mtn. man

Premium Member
Dec 20, 2012
S.W. Alberta
The CKX Titan Air Flow is the one you want. I have rode in the mountains all my life and have tried many, many different helmets, this Is the best I have seen. The Air Flow model is made specifically for the mountains and boondocking. It has lots of venting, that you can also plug off if needed, goggles included that are fitted to the helmet, a muzzle that you can open for eating, drinking or just to get some extra air when working hard and alot of colour options, also in carbon fiber, thats what I have. Go to their site.When I bought mine it was at a sled show in Edmonton and I was lucky enough to talk to one of the guys that has been in the development of this helmet for the last three years. They WELCOME feed back from customers so they can improve the product and they have been doing just that over the three year period. This year they have also made improvements over last years model, from the feed back of the customers.:smile:

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
People can tell you all day which to buy, but you really need to try them on. Go to some dealers and try on helmets. Once you find the helmet you want, try goggles on with that helmet. Make sure the goggle seals up around your face and nose, no gaps.

I personally prefer the new Klim F5 and 100% snow racecraft goggle. Or Oakley front line with dual prizm lens is my other go to. New F5 is very breathable, I use the wind stopper liner in to keep from freezing on the trail in. By far my favorite helmet I’ve ever owned. I’ve had FLY and Troy lee the past.

L
Sep 6, 2011
I am looking at purchasing a 6D helmet. They are not snowmobile specific, but I also ride motocross. They have a pretty sweet dampening technology and have heard nothing but good things from them.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
X2 on the Klim F5

I’ve had 3 F4’s, 1 F3 and couple HJC’s. F5 by far the best to date. I always look for light, breathable, functionality.

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Motorfist Alpha...very light, and physically 30% smaller than any other helmet of equal sizing m vs m...L vs L..

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles

Just because it costs more doesn't make it better.

I would go try on various helmets and see which brand fits.

Then look to make sure the helmet has been safety certified.

goforbroke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Highland, UT
Thanks for the input. Really wish I would have gone to snow show to try some on. Not a lot of dealers here with much selection.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
You could always call a few, see if they be interested in shipping one to try on or be willing to take it back if not good?

Andystoy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2016
Checkout the 509 carbon fibre just over 2 lbs. Pair that with the 509 Sinister or Kingpin (battery powered defrost lense) . Make sure the fit and price are right.Your wallet will be lighter and your neck happier. Use Kwik straps for the goggles.
Any of the carbon fibre helmets will work and can be used if or guading..

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
Thanks for the input. Really wish I would have gone to snow show to try some on. Not a lot of dealers here with much selection.

Dang. Where do you live? Did you do a dealer search for different brands. Most brands websites have a dealer search feature, then you could call and see what they have in stock?

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Be sure to take your goggles when trying on a helmet too. Some goggles are bigger and don't fit in the eyeport of some helmets very well. I've used a Shoei helmet for mx the last 7 years or so and used it a few seasons sledding too. Won a new FXR Blade helmet a few years ago for dedicated snow use. It fits ok but not as plush feeling as the Shoei. It also starts pinching my ears a little at the end of the day. I broke down and bought another Shoei on clearance for snow use again. The Shoei also has a bigger eye port as I mentioned so my large higher end Smith snow goggles fit much nicer. The Smiths were pricy but by far the best investment in goggles I've made so far. Only fog I've had was on the outside from breathing hard when stopped. I don't do breath boxes. Very large field of vision, lense is bubbled slightly and different thicknesses from center out to keep distortion to a minimum. Also, I seem to have the more oval head shape and wear XL helmets, but I did have one XXL at one time. The Klim F5 at the dealership here felt better than the FXR but might give me the same ear irritation by the end of the day.

Last edited:

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I really like the Fly F2 Carbons. Been using one for years. Then I dropped mine out the back of my Excursion last winter when unloading one night and backed over it. Oops. Bought another one the next day. Then the Fly/WPS rep showed us the new version with MIPS, half a pound lighter and more face to helmet clearance, I was sold and bought one. I usually have 4 sets of Scott goggles on me when I ride. I prefer 4 sets of $40-$50 goggles than one set of $200 goggles, as I don't treat them very well.

Premium Features