• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2013 turbo kit.which kit works the best for the etec?

P

P_Ray3040

Jul 26, 2012
Phelps, Wisconsin
im looking at getting a new xm or a pro and want to turbo whatever sled i end up getting i have a 2011 pro turbo now so i no what one i would get for the pro but not sure what turbo company to get if i decided to get the ski doo. i want something thats install and pull the cord and go not anything that im always gonna have to be tuning and very reliable. Any ideas???????

G
Apr 23, 2008
To this date there are NO pull and go e tech turbos, all are still in some form of teething and will be better this yr.
The closest to pull and go would be TSS or Turbo performance. Both are using the boost it and do not seem to have the snort and bog of the non boost it kit.

They will be better again this yr as more time in the saddle solves more hiccups.

Turbo performance has kept their mouths shut and DONE the work without leaving anyone waiting for answers.

Dont let anyone fool you, you dont see 100's of them out running because there are just a very few that keep doing the r & d for the kit already out for 2 seasons and still claiming to be fool proof..

TSS and Turbo performance get my vote for best effort and least BS. Both garrett turbos no e bay junk, You wont go wrong with either of those 2 suppliers.

But this is just 1 mans view of what i experienced in the northeast last 2 yrs. FPP is working on their system and has hopefully gotten past the You dont need doubled reeds idea this yr. Justin ate reeds much to fast with the boysens and so called doo race shop set up.. that failed instantly.

Gus

Last edited:
D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
im looking at getting a new xm or a pro and want to turbo whatever sled i end up getting i have a 2011 pro turbo now so i no what one i would get for the pro but not sure what turbo company to get if i decided to get the ski doo. i want something thats install and pull the cord and go not anything that im always gonna have to be tuning and very reliable. Any ideas???????

I've seen the TSS doo's and cats work, the Micku's really have them flying, similar to the Boost-It pro.

I've ridden a number of Pro's now, I would agree with Gus, I would go with a genuine Garrett turbo. I havent ridden the knock off Garrett ones but I do deal with knock off turbo's in my line of work and I refuse to install them. I've ridden a few Pro's with the Aerocharger turbo, they seem to be sort of peaky, surging, etc? Cant really put my finger on it, found them to be kind of annoying to ride, seemed to be a bit more lag. They just dont seem to be as smooth running as the Garrett. Not saying one is better or worse, just what I've noticed when throwing my leg over them and pulling the trigger. I do know the Boost-It box is effective and user friendly for the guys running them. Talk to someone like Frenchie, he is running the TSS kit. He has a video on here somewhere that shows how his sled is ripping.:face-icon-small-sho

Bendy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2009
Spirit River, AB Canada
We'll see!

I made the jump to the Garret Turbo this year. I've had (4) Turbo 2 strokes and I was pleased with the Aero. The problem is... if your engine goes down and you send debris through the Turbo... its off for repair. Down time blows. Having a spare center section, and being able to rebuilt it myself is a plus. JMO. We'll see how it compares. I'll definitely be posting my opinion.

Bendy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2009
Spirit River, AB Canada
Check out their website

thanks for the input guys does anyone no how much a TSS kit cost for the etech?

I don't know if it gives pricing... but the kit pieces look great. I really want a water-cooled charge box! Wonder if I can make the TSS one for the E-tech work on my 2011 P-tek?

P

P_Ray3040

Jul 26, 2012
Phelps, Wisconsin
so im fairly new to turbos on sleds i got my first one last year and installed it myself just to try to get to no my sled/turbo better. i no the turbo it self is a garret and when u guys say use a garret do u mean u buy a garret turbo and build a exhaust and all the and do ur own fuel controller or just use a company that uses a garret turbo?

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
that could be a totally stupid question but im just trying to get to no things better about the doo turbos and turbos in general

not to be rude, but if you want helpful advice you have to "know" how to ask questions. not no how to ask them. sorry, just really hard to read through a lot of your stuff without stopping and reading it aloud. makes it much less friendly to read and give advice.

what everyone is saying is use a kit with a garrett in it(not a chinese garrett copy). unless you feel comfortable building one, which for the etec is not for the feint of heart.

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
I would personally buy a turbo kit already packaged. I would want one with a GTX turbo, water to air intercooler, and the Boost-It fuel controller. TSS and Boost-It would be my choices for a two stroke turbo kit. They may be more expensive but I believe you get what you pay for with them. I dont know the price for TSS, you'd have to contact them.

http://topsecretshop.ca

Rocky

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
For what it's worth, Felker Motorsports in CO did over 45+ Etec kits last year with viturally no issues...did another 10-12 the year before, in development. He has 3 customers that put over 3000 miles on them last year, trouble free. His personal 2011 Etec has 4800 miles on it boosted. I would say he has more Turbo Etecs on the snow than anyone else combined. Might be worth a call to them to verify his findings, as he has been a long time high altitude Doo tuner and repected racer,,having won multiple championships in snocross, drags, and also had 12+ I-500 strong finishes.

Both his son Calvin Felker and Carl Kuster rode his prepped Etec Turbos to top 3 qualifiers in Open Mod at Jackson Hole this past year.. This year they will take the past 2 years development and have an even stronger package for the new XM chassis. He also has a lot of inside knowledge and works closely with race dept. folks as he has been a long time Ski Doo dealer and racer.

BTW... he uses the Aero turbo... does his own install and a few other proprietary things for his customers only. Wouldn't matter what turbo he was using,, he would make it flawless regardless.

Be careful what you read on here, as there are a lot of politics, old lawsuits, personal issues and slanted opionions regarding Etec turbo packages..You can't replace true hi altitude tuning experience and results... which is what you would get with him. Over 55+kits on the snow and you don't hear anyone on here complaining about reliability or his setups, period. Just the facts.

If you have questions, there a lot of people on here you could email or call and ask them yourself what there experience has been...

T
Aug 8, 2011
I would personally buy a turbo kit already packaged. I would want one with a GTX turbo, water to air intercooler, and the Boost-It fuel controller. TSS and Boost-It would be my choices for a two stroke turbo kit. They may be more expensive but I believe you get what you pay for with them. I dont know the price for TSS, you'd have to contact them.

http://topsecretshop.ca

Duke, are the TSS guys using a GTX turbo?? I thought their website said 2860?? Change since then??

BTW, the TSS sleds fly and are insanely crisp. Definatly awesome working sleds.

Thanks!

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
If it doesn't, I'd order one with my kit. Probably not much difference in price. NM's Pro kit comes standard with one.

K

Kibbels

Dec 8, 2007
Red Deer, AB
I will be going with TSS and Boost It for my 2013 XM... They have great support and knowledge.... And they local to me as this is important. I will have TSS install system... Looks like end of November to early December for install. I have been on Yamaha's since 2006 so I'm looking forward to this.

Stacy

3C Guiding

Dec 9, 2010
Laramie Wy.
For what it's worth, Felker Motorsports in CO did over 45+ Etec kits last year with viturally no issues...did another 10-12 the year before, in development. He has 3 customers that put over 3000 miles on them last year, trouble free. His personal 2011 Etec has 4800 miles on it boosted. I would say he has more Turbo Etecs on the snow than anyone else combined. Might be worth a call to them to verify his findings, as he has been a long time high altitude Doo tuner and repected racer,,having won multiple championships in snocross, drags, and also had 12+ I-500 strong finishes.

Both his son Calvin Felker and Carl Kuster rode his prepped Etec Turbos to top 3 qualifiers in Open Mod at Jackson Hole this past year.. This year they will take the past 2 years development and have an even stronger package for the new XM chassis. He also has a lot of inside knowledge and works closely with race dept. folks as he has been a long time Ski Doo dealer and racer.

BTW... he uses the Aero turbo... does his own install and a few other proprietary things for his customers only. Wouldn't matter what turbo he was using,, he would make it flawless regardless.

Be careful what you read on here, as there are a lot of politics, old lawsuits, personal issues and slanted opionions regarding Etec turbo packages..You can't replace true hi altitude tuning experience and results... which is what you would get with him. Over 55+kits on the snow and you don't hear anyone on here complaining about reliability or his setups, period. Just the facts.

If you have questions, there a lot of people on here you could email or call and ask them yourself what there experience has been...

I have been on and around 10 to 15 turbos that felker has done and there has been no prob with them. The motors are being more reliable with boost on them is what i was told. The 2013 XM is a monster i have been on the sled and have film of calvin climbing some amazing shoots. aero turbo is the only way i would go.

Premium Features