• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is this everything needed for a Turbo?

A
Sep 23, 2009
Thinking of building turbo sled (carbed) and am wondering if I've got an idea of everything I need/have to do. I know I'm probably in over my head and don't really care, I also have friends that are engineers so that helps.

So here's a list of what I think I'll need:

Turbo (with wastegate), modify exhaust, EGT gauge, Oil for turbo with pump and filter, Charge tubes ect., BOV, Charge box for carbs, powerjets, fuel pump with hobbs switch, lower compression, better fuel, jetting, clutching.

Do I need a battery? What about engine oil? Do I have to turn up injection pump or pre mix?

Thanks

A
Sep 23, 2009
It's a 1996 ski doo 670 summit. Ya I know I could buy a newer sled, but then I couldn't buy a turbo. Also, if I total this one, I don't care.

heinracing

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
mina sd
i recommend getting rid of the hobbs switch just running a boost rising fuel regulator.

what turbo you plan on running?

A
Sep 23, 2009
I'm not sure yet. Just trying to plan, budget and make sure I have a grasp on everything before I decide whether to tackle this project. My engineer friend likes boost and has a bunch laying around, so I figured I'd use whatever he handed me. I'm open to suggestions though.

R

Ryanlilly

Jan 18, 2011
Enumclaw, Washington
You need to read thru the carbed turbo section. Tons of good info.

Like hein said dump the hobbs! Not needed and unreliable. I would keep your compression the same and run higher octane fuel. You might need a battery but could possibly get away with a capacitor.

Another option is running an aerocharger, then you don't need an oil tank, or pump.

I ditched my oil injection and went to premix.

heinracing

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
mina sd
as ryan said dont worry about compression you'll want as much as you can for the bottom end.

on that sled i recommend aerocharger turbo. no worries about oil pump oil tank and with the variable veins they spool fast

post a wanted ad for a turbo kit in the turbo swap i bet you'll find a complete kit pretty cheap save your self some money.

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
IF you can find an aerocharger that will simplify your install/build greatly.

Definitely forget the hobbs switch and use the rising rate fuel regulator.
Get some powervalves that you can use to adjust fuel with just a turn of a screw.
I would also say that you will need a small battery to help power the fuel pump you will need. Most of the time it will run just fine until you start hitting a good pull with full boost. When the electrical system can't supply the fuel pump and everything else and it starts to go lean from not enough juice you'll figure out in a hurry that a battery is worth the little bit of weight it adds. Most of the time you will run on the electrical system and be charging the battery. Occasionally for longer high boost pulls the battery will supplement the sled and help it keep full fuel pressure.
An old 670 was not fuel injected so was not designed to handle the draw an electric fuel pump will put on the system and you will run out of juice on high demand situations.

Like it was advised above READ THE ENTIRE CARBED TURBO THREAD. Lots of good info in there.
It can be done to build your own setup but it is pretty involved and lots of learning.

Have fun with it.

Last edited:
T

turboxp

May 13, 2008
not where i sled
Not overly sure of the electrical power out put in that year but I built a 06 turbo. I didn't run a battery I just ran my light on a switch for the day when u need all the power to the fuel pump. The rave valves you can just wire them on and they will never come off. To prime the carbs I put in a manual primer. And the areocharger is the way to go if u can afford it, no oil tank and no oil pump needed or bov. The compression I dropped so that there was less chance of detonation. Any other questions just feel free to ask.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
honestly, speaking from experience, turbo 2 strokes are fun, but your gonna be miles ahead in practical riding world with just getting a newer sled. much more reliable and actually a rideable chassie. food for thought.

i have built plenty of strange 1 off stuff like this and its a huge learning curve. be prepared to learn a lot and spend plenty of time working on it fixing stuff.

Premium Features