• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XP or REV for turbo build?

revx827

Lifetime Membership
Jun 27, 2009
floatingqrs.com
So I am rethinking putting a turbo on my XP. Thinking I will keep the RKT 860 and get a different sled to turbo. Is one easier or more friendly for a turbo?
I will still be using the same 8?0r with either of them.
This will be on the flat also so the handling is n/a.

D
Sep 6, 2011
Calgary
Well if cost is at all an object then the rev is a safe bet. If you can find one that's straight it'll naturally be cheaper than an XP. The '07s had the 800R which was the same until 2010 and it shouldn't be hard to find one with the updated engine(to avoid crank issues). There's also more room to work on them. The downside is that the revs came and went while the turbo revolution was still in its infancy so kits are fewer and further between. If I was building a science project I'd start with a rev.

Bendy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2009
Spirit River, AB Canada
XP

If you're gonna by a sled to turbo by an XP. I did a REV 'cause thats what I had. I have a '11 P-Tek 163 now for my spare if something goes wrong. The REV is alot bulkier and wider, but it feels so much better on boost compared to my stock '11. Just wish it was the other way around. I'll hopefully have them both boosted for next season! If you want pics of my custom '04 REV Aero build... just ask. Ben.

revx827

Lifetime Membership
Jun 27, 2009
floatingqrs.com
I have an 08 motor on the bench. Very low miles on it. I can put it in either chassis.
Will most likely go with a renegade length sled. Planning on mostly using the sled on the lake. I like the idea of a rev. Cost is lower. More open to work on.
BUT the xp has the qrs. (I like it) Sled is lighter.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
well, i would say either, a 07 800R or the xp, because the 800r has the cooled crank case, so you got coolant down in the case, which helps alot to keep everything cooler, i know a problem with the ol h.o's is that they would get really hot and melt the isoflex grease, and once thats gone, your SOL

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
i would take a rev all day every day. so much nicer to work on. the whole secondary and jackshaft having to come out to work on the carb area is terrible.

G
Apr 23, 2008
as a flatland lake racer with both rev turbos and HAD xp turbos,, We ripped the mount off the tunnel for the jckshaft on day 1..snapped the new one on day 3..

tossed the weak XP chassis in the dumpster on day 5...

REV all the way... Hooks hard goes straight..!!! 136 track, wahl skid, launch boost of 6-10 psi depending on ice. 3400 rpm launch.

Josh Moshers old 2004 has had no issues with anything at 24-30 psi lake racing...nothing,, no reeds no seals no bearing nothing...and it has the exposed pto seal with no plate too LOL...

The RT bottom is cooled but also WEAK as all get out due to the cooling cavity ..we fill that in for a race turbo and would have to do the same for the r motor if we ever went back to one .. I was not impressed at all with the R engine.. Not the quality of the HO..

revx827

Lifetime Membership
Jun 27, 2009
floatingqrs.com
Wishing I didn't sell my 04 now..... Sold it pretty cheap. Sled was straight and clean.
Was working up to getting another xp. Maybe it wasn't the best decision....

T

turboxp

May 13, 2008
not where i sled
I did my own, I still have it. I did a 06 rev and have been running 10 pounds since day one. The chassis has a bit more room to work on and the motor seems to be strong. U have to make sure if u get a xp go with a 10 or newer. The motors are a bit stronger. I also did a 08 xp and had a few problems with it. I have the 06 for sale u could just buy it.

Premium Features