• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Team clutches balancing results

F
Nov 5, 2017
Nevada
Sled has 0 miles on it. Pulled the clutches and shipped them out to get balanced

Results
Primary
Left side unbalance of 4.065 g-in
Right side unbalance of 2.522 g-in

Secondary
Front half unbalance of 2.479 g-in
Back half unbalance of 31.263 g-in
Also sent with a papers of where specifically the weight was and where it needed to be removed

Done by Dave L at cascade balancing

He had told me that the primary being off that much equated to 120lbs at 8k rpms.

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
Had him do mine also when new

Left unbalanced 2.658 g-in
Right unbalanced 8.338 g-in

I’m really not sure what that truly means but I do know that the sled is perfectly smooth at an idle now rather than shaking your teeth out.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
are these more unbalanced than say a p-85? i see factory balancing holes and little 'x' marks, so they obviously made some effort.
with a 4 year warranty and no crank issues, at least on the zukes, i always thought whats the point.
but they do bounce around a lot at idle, the zukes anyway.

F
Nov 5, 2017
Nevada
I had my Suzuki clutches done at the same time.
Primary
Left unbalance of 4.750 grams
Right unbalance of 10.772 grams

Secondary
Left unbalance of 24.933 grams
Right unbalance of 35.280 grams

On the Primary clutches, Left side is fixed sheave and right would be the clutch cover.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
are these more unbalanced than say a p-85? i see factory balancing holes and little 'x' marks, so they obviously made some effort.
with a 4 year warranty and no crank issues, at least on the zukes, i always thought whats the point.
but they do bounce around a lot at idle, the zukes anyway.

Same here. Manufacturers put out thousands of these a year. If it was a problem all you would hear about would be one crank failure after another.

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
The factory does balance them but no where near to the specs they are balanced now. Are you going to have problems if you don’t do it? No absolutely not. Are there benefits to spending the $135 to have it balanced? I sure think so. Its just one of the little things I do to a sled that adds up to a big difference in performance. When a clutch is balanced this well you will get longer belt life, a smoother running sled, and better performance.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
"g-in" is torque.

So for an 8" diameter clutch, with 10 g-in out, that equates to a 1.25 gram force or imbalance at end of clutch.

That would mean for an 8" primary clutch with a 1.25 gram imbalance spinning at 8000 rpms will exert a force of 7,271 grams centripetal force. That is 16 pounds force, changing direction back and forth 16,000 times per minute. Ride for 3 hours and you effectively cycled 16 pounds back and forth on your crank, and into your frame, 2.9 million times. I could see that adding up!

F
Nov 5, 2017
Nevada
I text him, and asked specifically what G-in is. He said 1 G- in = 1 gram. I hadn't seen grams written like G-in. Either way, it adds up to alot of force that is not necessary. Balancing is opening up horsepower that was needlessly used.

Got my mds weights in yesterday. I weighed them just like Dave suggested to do.
Weight 1&2 were the same but weight 3 was .22 grams heavier. Removed all the added weight from each, and the weight was 9 hundredths heavier than the rest. The remaining weight was from the fasteners.

So sand paper went to town, weighed the bolts, ect. Got all 3 to 75.33 grams. Target on the paper mds sent was 75.2. loctite is actually kinda heavy.

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
Vibration is greatly reduced after you balance your clutches.

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
I'll just ask a dumb question - how do you know you can trust the shops over what the manufacturer has done? i.e., how do you know their methods are accurate for sensitive measurements like this?

F
Nov 5, 2017
Nevada
It's just like anything you purchase as a consumer. You trust in that the product purchased is actually as advertised.

When a company shills out $28,000 in an ISO certified peice of gear that's specifically designed for balancing, you kinda have to trust the company knows actually how to use it.

I guess he could have drilled some holes, printed out a paper showing how much off balance, and claims yes it's good to go. But I doubt he would be in business that long.

The factory DOES Balance the clutches. Then they assemble them. It's all the gear that they put in the clutch that throws it off. It all has to work together, so it needs to be balanced together. Just tightening a fastener will distort a peice enough to move the center off.

Im sure the oem suppliers have a tolerance for this. + or - I just narrowed the difference

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
It's just like anything you purchase as a consumer. You trust in that the product purchased is actually as advertised.

When a company shills out $28,000 in an ISO certified peice of gear that's specifically designed for balancing, you kinda have to trust the company knows actually how to use it.

I guess he could have drilled some holes, printed out a paper showing how much off balance, and claims yes it's good to go. But I doubt he would be in business that long.

The factory DOES Balance the clutches. Then they assemble them. It's all the gear that they put in the clutch that throws it off. It all has to work together, so it needs to be balanced together. Just tightening a fastener will distort a peice enough to move the center off.

Im sure the oem suppliers have a tolerance for this. + or - I just narrowed the difference

Thanks for the informative response. Best of luck!

Premium Features