• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

PART 1: AV gas in a turbo 2 stroke

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridgeclimber

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Maple Ridge B.C.
av gas fuel #s

Thanks guy's this post is very informative. I have an 08 800 BD pg turbo kit with the inter cooler. I have been running VP c12 and premium fuel. I think I am going to try av gas 100ll this season. What do you think you have to do with fuel #'s ? Would you have to increase the fuel #'S to richen the fuel ratio or should it be about the same as what I have been running. What #'S are you guy's running with the BD fuel controller with av gas?

J

jeepin270

Aug 27, 2009
Maine
spark plug readings

Just wondering what the plugs are supposed to look like when running av gas?

R

River Ratt

Oct 27, 2008
Markerville AB
I ran straight 100LL in a turbo sled for 5 years no det. problems, it was back in the day, 1994 xlt 580 triple with a First Choice Turbo (Areocharger) I would run 8 to 10 lbs, and did turn it up to 12 a couple times, but mostly ran 10lb. There are a lot of high performance boat guys lowering there compression by 1 or 2 points to go from VP C112 down to Ave Gas. The cost savings in a boat is huge for only a bit less HP. What I've found over the years is most of the nay sayers about ave gas are the ones selling race gas. I would feel confident running 10lb on the new Pro Ride with Ave Gas. The only problems I found back in the day was it was hard to read the plugs, they appeared lean, but the piro's read fine, I never burned down in the mountains. The old turbo sleds were quite interesting to ride, the boost came on like a "light switch", with 2 seconds of turbo lag when you got off the throttle, she was wide open or nothing. LOL, the good old days.

Cheers.

S
Aug 23, 2009
fuel

here is something that people need to know, av gas has additives that actually help even more then race gas can come close to, it has a anti-knock additives which also helps to run higher boost levels, airplanes run on 30 or more psi which is more then a turbo sled would ever see, and it has a stabilizer additive to keep it in fresh conditions it can sit a year and start right up... been using it for almost ten years now... it works, the one draw back is the lead additive that can build up on valves after a very long time and can change plug colours even when it running properly... egt gauge is the only way to tell a burn down....

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
This is slightly off topic but does anyone know where I can buy av gas near Smithers, B.C.? Anywhere on the highway 16 corridor would be fine, P.G to Terrace? I'm one of the guys that has run av for over 25 years and have never, ever, had an issue with it. I love it. The last few years the local airport won't sell it, to many yuppies/treehuggers around here and it's hard to find without travelling. Any tips would be appreciated. Jay

R

River Ratt

Oct 27, 2008
Markerville AB
Jay it is getting hard to buy 100LL, you will have to make friends with someone at a helicopter company were they are using the small R22 or R44 helicopters, they are gas pots and burn 100LL, or find out who the local Hunting Outfitters are, they usually have stashes of Ave Gas out in there remote hunting camps, and will be able to buy fuel by the barrel. Where I live the Local Esso bulk fuel dealer won't sell it to me anymore, (he used to) but unless you own an aircraft they are not supposed to sell it to the public he told me. Fortunately my friend owns a couple helicopters and I will be able to get him to buy it for me if I go turbo next season. Good Luck.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
nothing says you plane has to fly..get a couple people together to buy a junker..something that crashed...at least you can tell the fellas you own a plane so fill up them jerry cans...lol..

C
Nov 9, 2005
Montana
Guido... mix the AV 50/50 as well IMO.

The 100LL is 104 MON... 110 from VP and Sunoco is 107/106 MON respectively.

Hot topic these days, IMO... there will be some throttle response diff if you run too much octane in this setup.... I think that straight 100LL (104 MON) will be too much octane for optimal results... especially since you can find non ethanol pump for mixing in your area.

See the thread above.. some good info.

I know this is about 100LL, but I gotta ask:

Your thoughts on Torco Accelerator? I found myself over octaning last year trying to be safe on a TM-1000, 9 pounds, no innercooler. The result was a soft bottom end (I'm working out now, so maybe that will help :face-icon-small-hap). Seriously, I'm thinking of trying torco with Shell 92 premium on this years build....M8 at 10ish pounds to recover my lost bottom end. I'm also leaving on the 2010 head, so I'm really going to ease into fuel changes and boost this year.

Last year's sled, non scientific seat-of-the-pants testing between Sunoco 110 and 100LL....100LL seemed much crisper on the low end, compared to 110. I did have to add a little fuel med and high to keep my numbers in check, compared to 110. Fuel weight difference perhaps?

Last edited:
D

dmj1

Jul 31, 2007
t900 av

I have been running 100ll all last year ( 3.5 barrels) in my home built turbo 900 rmk.
I find with 10.5:1 domes I can run max 12 psi straight 100ll .
So to be safe I run 11 psi . I also mix the fuel 120:1 with oil ,with injection pump set @ 40:1 oil ratio. This has worked great ! Never a burn down ( knock on wood), Throttle response is good , I have never fouled a plug yet . I use the NGK iridium tipped plugs. The only tuning tool I use is an A/F ratio gauge.
:face-icon-small-hap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features