• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Where to drill AFR on 16 axys BD turbo

HCR10

Premium Member
Jan 21, 2011
Draper UT
www.comfortchampions.com
I Have 16 axys with BD side kick mta oil less turbo with standard tunnel dump. I just upgraded to race gas conversion to run higher boost and I need to add afr gauge for tunning. I don't have much room between the turbo and muffler for the afr bung and was wondering if I will get a good reading if I put it in the stinger before the turbo?

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
I Have 16 axys with BD side kick mta oil less turbo with standard tunnel dump. I just upgraded to race gas conversion to run higher boost and I need to add afr gauge for tunning. I don't have much room between the turbo and muffler for the afr bung and was wondering if I will get a good reading if I put it in the stinger before the turbo?

Ive seen a few pictures of guys putting it before the turbo, it reads the air fuel ratio so being up there you will certainly get a good reading.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009

Just curious - what tuning is available? Thought all side kicks were "set" regardless of boost?

X
Oct 8, 2009
Do not put the afr pre turbo. The pipe pressure will throw off the reading as pressures fluctuate. Put it where ever you can fit it in after the turbo.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Do not put the afr pre turbo. The pipe pressure will throw off the reading as pressures fluctuate. Put it where ever you can fit it in after the turbo.

In know a lot of people who put it before the turbo and believe its the best place. Many turbo builders both 2 and 4 stroke recommend before the turbo. Had one very reputable turbo builder say they got their most accurate readings in the largest, belly portion of the pipe on a 2-stroke (yes, they tested multiple positions in the exhaust with some very expensive and accurate AFR equiptment).

X
Oct 8, 2009
Feel free to put it where you like. I can tell you from years of experience, nobody running any kind of boost on a 4 stroke is locating the AFR gauge preturbo. No way. I question that as well on a two stroke. Given the amount of pressure and heat that is generated, sensors die off.

Also, as density increases, current flow between the points of the sensor changes...changing the reading. That is simple physics regardless of what tech is used. The only way to reduce the effect is to reduce the pressure differential...run less boost. If you have different results long term please post again.

HCR10

Premium Member
Jan 21, 2011
Draper UT
www.comfortchampions.com
Thanks for the input everyone and OCTANEE it was a side kick and I did the upgrade to race gas so it has 4 injectors and adjustable box. I'm going to put sensors in both locations pre turbo and after turbo some how and see the difference in readings between the two locations.

Premium Features