• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 ride report....few issues!!

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
Well I have rode my sled 3 days now, first day was 25 mile road ride just to feel her out some. Then off to revy in 2-3ft of fresh dry pow....first day riding it pretty hard and man its not hard to get used to...came off a 174T3 and this sled is an animal. Near the end of the day I blew a belt hard though...not to happy about that as in the last 3 years and 6800kms I haven't had any belt issues at all...and my riding place and style hasn't changed at all. Then my check engine light also came on...gotta see what the code is there...it would go away for 20 min with every re start but eventually came back ever time. Day two I put a good broke in 391 one on and rode a touch less aggressive and cooled down a lot more and opened the side panel lots....no issues yesterday...but tons of belt dust...like a lot! So Im a touch worried here skidoo...anyone else have anything else to add? lets keep this thread alive with ride ability updates....

M
Nov 9, 2010
redding, ca
Gen 4

Well I have rode my sled 3 days now, first day was 25 mile road ride just to feel her out some. Then off to revy in 2-3ft of fresh dry pow....first day riding it pretty hard and man its not hard to get used to...came off a 174T3 and this sled is an animal. Near the end of the day I blew a belt hard though...not to happy about that as in the last 3 years and 6800kms I haven't had any belt issues at all...and my riding place and style hasn't changed at all. Then my check engine light also came on...gotta see what the code is there...it would go away for 20 min with every re start but eventually came back ever time. Day two I put a good broke in 391 one on and rode a touch less aggressive and cooled down a lot more and opened the side panel lots....no issues yesterday...but tons of belt dust...like a lot! So Im a touch worried here skidoo...anyone else have anything else to add? lets keep this thread alive with ride ability updates....

Wow that's a little disappointing to hear, I have over 100 miles on mine and no issues. I just went out and checked to see if I have more than normal Belt dust after reading about yours and mine is still as clean as the day I brought it home. I wonder if your clutch alignment is off?

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
IMG_4169_zpswpbbsfyn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG][/IMG]

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
thanks for the update...

revy is pretty low...

stock clutching for 6000' and up...

did you add any weight??

motor running at 7800-7900 rpm??-BJ

Idahodoo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Pocatello Idaho
www.jcscutomvents.com
Did you take the original belt off, wipe off the faces of the clutch to remove any oils, and wash the belt in hot, soapy water?

Ace

That was going to be my first ?

I called my dealer and asked why my clutches have oil on them and all over the belly pan as well, he said there were supposed to be cleaned and apologized said he would make it right with me.

My sled only been in and out of my truck twice, once to load it at dealer Then again to get it into my shop.

Anyhoos I cleaned the clutches, belt and everything that was not up to my standards.

I always disassemble my new sled to modify & build vent templates, then reassemble & check/re-clean everything before I ever go out for a ride.

My buddy's usually flip me crap for going it, then I just laugh at them when they have problems with things they should have checked. :)

+ what others have said something maybe not set up right

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Naming NO names.

I have been told two things about my new 850..

#1.
Proper Belt Break-In "IS" a BIG DEAL on this sled.
Failure to "season" the belt will result in a high level of "Infant Mortality"

#2.
1,500 miles is GOOD belt life on the 850.

I have NO personal first hand experience.
Our first ride on the 3 new sleds will be FRIDAY!:face-icon-small-hap

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
thanks for the update...

revy is pretty low...

stock clutching for 6000' and up...

did you add any weight??

motor running at 7800-7900 rpm??-BJ

theres no snow in revy until 4500...up top was 6500 all day. Clickers where they came from and it was bang on 8000rpm all day...I broke in the belt for 25 mile road ride a few days ago. Just hope it was a fluke or something day two went ok...no strings...but I let it cool lots.

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
I aslo removed the felt heat trap in the clutch cover...and added a screen on the left foot well as the holes there are perfect for snow getting in and the clutch is very close to the left foot well....will see...but huge amounts of belt dust. this is waist deep snow guys...we ride this all the time.

Idahodoo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Pocatello Idaho
www.jcscutomvents.com
Naming NO names.

I have been told two things about my new 850..

#1.
Proper Belt Break-In "IS" a BIG DEAL on this sled.
Failure to "season" the belt will result in a high level of "Infant Mortality"

I will be using my broke in belt off my XM for sure now :)

#2.
1,500 miles is GOOD belt life on the 850.

Ill bet that can be improved with all the clutching guys around :) + mine will be vented & running a Blow Hole

I have NO personal first hand experience.
Our first ride on the 3 new sleds will be FRIDAY!:face-icon-small-hap

Have a heat gun or flir camera ?

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
I would not plug up the foot well with even a screen, no snow will get into and on the clutches. far too hot for that, If you noticed when you take the clutch cover off there is a small bit of foam on the bottom facing the left footwell, cut that section completely out. it will allow more evacuated belt dust and heat and yes it is easy to ride these machines and never let them cool down but if you do so you will go through belts. Same with t3 you could just ride it hard for 4 hours but if you do it wont cool down and your just pre wearing the belt life. The clutch cover in some of our test sleds went right to the floor so it works but the cvt cover does evacuate the heat super well it is just with that it going to the floor or now half that distance it holds more heat. and yes get all the felt and foam out for those who have not, it will not void your warranty and it is just for sound...shows you how quiet they have to be and how much loader they are with a can, and why we are losing riding areas...but that is another can of worms.

Idahodoo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Pocatello Idaho
www.jcscutomvents.com
NO.
But...
I did see some guys selling a new BELT HEAT DETECTOR that I am considering installing...

http://www.razorbackusa.com/shop/?category=Snowmobile

sensor-and-gauge.jpg

Yes I have some customers that use a sensor similar to that on there RZRs then install a switch to turn on the Blow Hole when needed, but most run with it on all the time.

The Blow Hole on my XM runs when sled is, the blow hole on my G4 will run when ever sled is running, but wouldn't take much to to add a switch. :)

Here is one from Alba Racing

Last edited:
Premium Features