• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How happy are you with your XP?

Are you happy with your XP?

• Total voters

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
There was a similar poll in other mfg sections so I thought we might as well have one here, XP's only!!!

Please vote in the poll.

Elaborate on your experiences as well.
XP. A mountain sled without usable foot wells while standing! What are they thinking,They need a dedicated back-country chassis

H

hotshot

Nov 26, 2007
Pocatello, Idaho
Mine Sucks right now!!! The dang thing is sitting in the freakin garage with no snow to play on. I must like it though....this will be the 4th year on it.

M
Mar 7, 2008
Almont, Michigian
I had a 08 gadeX and other then the driveshaft and handwarmer recall the sled was great I had a HPS can on her my dealer did some clutching, and I put a 1.75 ripsaw and she rocked for 2 seasons with over 4200 miles, but unfortunitly I totaled It In the UP 2 winters ago!! But then I snowchecked a 2010 gadeX and fell In LOVE all over again, I LOVE my XP!!:clap2:

K
Nov 27, 2007
Washington
We have had a total of 8 XPs. 2 08, 3 09, 3 2010. Loved them all. Belt life got a lot better for 09 and improved again last year. I think something improved in the rear skid for 2010 also. They seem to be much easier to get set up right.

Jeb

K
Sep 21, 2001
You guys reassurred my decision in not buying a new sled for the last 5 years! I was so frustrated with Skidoo after the BRP take over. The REVs were garbage, Ski doo's customer service ended up being like Polaris's. Ever since they pulled customer service out of Wausau Wis. they have never been the same. I bought a Polaris Iq in 05, and in 1200 miles, that sled went back to the dealership 12 times, 3 sets of motor mounts 7 belts, one water pump, oil tank that only holds about 1 quart of oil, and the thing would only run on Polaris VES gold oil. I lost all faith in snowmobiles!! I refuse to buy Arctic Cat's and Yammies, neither one of them can build a sled!! Especially a 2 stroke!

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
You actually believe you MUST run Polaris VES Gold in that sled? No offense, but I can't help but take your post with a grain of salt after that comment. :face-icon-small-dis

pauly-doo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
SILVER STAR,MT
XP PROBLEMS

I GOT A 09 163 X,LOST A MOTOR @ 23 MILES,GOT NEW LONG BLOCK TOOK 18 DAYS TO GET IT.RAN GREAT FOR 2200 MILES,LOST ANOTHER MOTOR,WAITED 5 WEAKS FOR SHORT BLOCK..BOTH MOTORS WHERE CRANK PROBLEMS.I ADDED VENTS,RB CLUTCH KIT,BOTH HELPED OUT ALOT WITH CLUTCH AND BELT ISSUES.HAD A BAD OIL PUMP CABLE.LOVE THE SLED,NOT REAL HAPPY WITH DOO"S CUSTOMER SERVICE DEPT.IF BUYING ANOTHER ONE I WOULD BUY THE EXTENDED ENGINE WARRENTY...

rocks rev

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Flat Tops Colorado
You guys reassurred my decision in not buying a new sled for the last 5 years! I was so frustrated with Skidoo after the BRP take over. The REVs were garbage, Ski doo's customer service ended up being like Polaris's. Ever since they pulled customer service out of Wausau Wis. they have never been the same. I bought a Polaris Iq in 05, and in 1200 miles, that sled went back to the dealership 12 times, 3 sets of motor mounts 7 belts, one water pump, oil tank that only holds about 1 quart of oil, and the thing would only run on Polaris VES gold oil. I lost all faith in snowmobiles!! I refuse to buy Arctic Cat's and Yammies, neither one of them can build a sled!! Especially a 2 stroke!

:Cry:

S

Stitch13

Sep 6, 2008
Pretty Happy

I have had two Summit Xp's now, I snow checked an 08 and went through all of the first issues, hand warmers not working, Belts blowing ....went through half a dozen before I solved it with some clutch work and alignment. I sold it (only because I needed some fast cash) and bought an 09 Summit X last year.

The 09 had the DPM fail during a trip last season but other then that it is flawless....so far.

I think all these new sleds have some issues, pick your color or do some searching on here it will scare you away from every major OEM. I think the dealer has alot to do with how happy you will be with any machine, if there is a problem and they fix it right and stand behind there product like they should it makes all the difference. I was major Ped off over the belts but walking into dealership and being given a hand full of free belts eased the pain, and being told they were working on it.

Our standards are high....mine are, I only make so many trips to the mountains and I do not want any problems. These sleds work good...they make good power and work decent right out of the box.

So far I am happy with the XP, will likely stay with the brand, already eyeing up a 2011....its like some sort of an addiction.

Summit8

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2001
Fairview, MT
You had to ask: I have owned 3 new Polaris sleds form 1995,2000,2004 and cats from 1996-2006 new one every year. This is my first ski-doo and may be my last. The good things are the ride is one of the best the rider position is great I feel that I ride it better than the others. The bad to many go back to the dealer things recoil out, clutch blown 300 miles, oil sensor bad, I think that if they would redesign there clutches it would be a much better more reliable sled. You need to have a roll of money to keep one running if it is not in warranty. A drive clutch should go 3000 miles with out any maintenance these days and the other manufacturers do. You need a good pull strap and survival kit if you are going to ride one.

3000K miles on the clutch?? Ever heard of cleaning?
Other issues may have to be setup from dealer, and riding/ snow cond. !!??:face-icon-small-win

Last edited:
C

colorado logger

Dec 4, 2007
south fork co
2011 XP

I ride Cat and like Cat, today had a chance to ride a new 2011, xp, 163.
The sled had about 25 miles on odometer and was completely stock.
This sled rips, Don't drag race one you will lose. :face-icon-small-sho

stephenr_65

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Henefer, Ut
1 season on my 08 XP 146
-16 belts my best belt was the first i got about 85 miles out of it the 377 belts didnt last any longer
-2 drive shafts
-faulty gauge cluster
-y pipe bolts broke off had to replace a cylinder
-nemorus clutching changes
-clutches needed to be rebuilt at about 500 miles
-choke cable broke
- if it was 1/2 tank or lower would not run going up hill dealer replaced fuel pick ups made no difference
-bent nun
-rear skid was bent to hell
-Hand warmers were replaced twice

I admit i rode the sled hard I had on 09 assault for two seasons and only time i had to take it to the dealer was for the motor update and i rode that sled really hard
I threw a fit to ski-doo they gave me an extra year of bumper to bumper warranty which is all well and great when your dealer is close my dealer was an hour and half away that gets old driving that far after every ride to get somthin fixed i will never own a ski-doo again

Last edited:
M

MTsummitx800

Oct 4, 2010
Butte/Walkerville, MT.
Bought an 08, thought it was great at first. Had all of the problems listed in the forum, but got out of fixing all of them because it decided to catch FIRE and burn to the ground with 134 miles on it in McCall in Jan. 09. Have gone back to my 06 summit x since, and will stick with the best sled they have made in the last 10 years.

S

skyler.hager

Oct 13, 2009
I've had 2 08's, LOVE them!

My first 08 i bought in 2008 and rode it hard! it was a 154, and after 2 seasons of riding, close to 3,000 miles later, it has never even had a top-end put in it, and my mom rides that sled now, still running strong. i swapped to a 2008 with a 146 now, and i just rolled over 700 miles, and i LOVE it! wheelie monster, runs so crisp all the time. I ride with all other turbos, so one may be going on it next summer!! :face-icon-small-hap

P

P Money

Nov 29, 2010
Denver, CO.
Happy

Have been doing alot of preventative maintenance, 08 154, so I can keep from having problems so I was a little nervous, after riding it for a full day in deep powder and could not be happier!! Just hoping the problems stay away from us... me and my sled!
P

P

P Money

Nov 29, 2010
Denver, CO.
Happy

Have been doing alot of preventative maintenance, 08 154, so I can keep from having problems so I was a little nervous, after riding it for a full day in deep powder and could not be happier!! Just hoping the problems stay away from us... me and my sled!
P

Premium Features