• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Skidoo 850 belt problem

T
Nov 29, 2007
Wuhan, WA
For those blowing belts, my question is what have you already tried to remedy the heat?, and what altitude do you ride.
Anything under about 8K ft HAS to have weight added and/or a spring change.
Generally adding 4-6g to weight adjustment bolt, little to no RPM change, less heat,

Finally got to ride mine after adding 4.5g. I brought the temp gun along to track temperatures but didn't really get a number that I felt was true. I know those guns can be temperamental. I do know that while the clutches didn't feel as hot as they did on the previous ride with no added weight, they were still super hot. I am going to add some more weight to it and see if that helps bring it down more. I was able to run in some super deep snow and no blow a belt so that was good to do.

I am also running xtremeairvents in the shock towers and rears to try and get cool air cycling through.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Just Curious.
Is anyone out there that is BLOWING BELTS on a regular basis running a Belt Temp sensor?

I remember seeing these at one of our SnowShows and thinking this might be a good insurance policy for this problem.

https://www.razorbackusa.com/belt-temp-gauge-3

51%2BQCtYTsNL._SX355_.jpg

J
Mar 10, 2017
Eastern Idaho
Just Curious.
Is anyone out there that is BLOWING BELTS on a regular basis running a Belt Temp sensor?

I remember seeing these at one of our SnowShows and thinking this might be a good insurance policy for this problem.

I didn't know those existed, it seems a guy that blows lots of belts could pretty quickly determine at what temp they come apart at and then keep the temp 15-20 degrees lower than that.

I'd really like to see before and after belt temps on a stock sled and that same sled with a Blow Hole added, I'm sure the Blow Hole will help, but it would be great to see just how much it will help.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
So what's your thought on why max rpm is always showing 8400rpm there a outs and yet when your looking at it on a pull, it's glued to 8000rpm, you can reset max and does the same every time, what's the fix for that!!

softer primary
stiffer secondary
more tip weight
venting
SHR kit-BJ

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Just put belt # 3 on Saturday 544 Miles as of Saturday evening. 18 175 3”. Belt #1 worn out of tolerance, belt # 2 caught in the nick of time. All belts are the new 531.

c567ad0dbe13fb7fe3b61692855fb591.jpg

Last season on the 17 165 3” total of 8 belts, 1 primary clutch, 1 secondary due to exploded belt that grabbed primary weights, pulled clutches together, made contact and broke weights/ bent/ gouged clutches. All in 950 Miles.

Yet there is no issue.

Only reason I haven’t had more issues is pure lack of snow in the Jackson Wy area.

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
400 miles on my 18 165. Original belt looks great still. I am about to pull the trigger on big John's kit. Ready to expireance this sled with real power to the ground.

Clutched Films

Lifetime Membership
So what's your thought on why max rpm is always showing 8400rpm there a outs and yet when your looking at it on a pull, it's glued to 8000rpm, you can reset max and does the same every time, what's the fix for that!!

Im pretty sure you would hear and feel a 400RPM swing? I like to go by real snow results get it next to a sled on the hill and start getting it figured out. If you can't hear it or feel it maybe it's a digital issue? Try switching consoles with another 850 I don't know? No one has the magic fix all for the 850 they still get pretty hot and there are a lot of different riding styles. lots of people ride my sleds and ask why they ride so weird or ruff works for me and gets me wherever I try and go if my talent or forward momentum don't run out. But from experience the SHR kit has solved the week back shift and I have only had to adjust my belt tension 1 time since installed. Compared to every 35 miles with stock. I just talked with BJ today explained How it's pulling / running feeling what it's doing on the hill. He told me to go with his primary spring based on my feedback said there is more gains to be had. He hasn't steered me wrong yet. I'll keep posting results as I tune & ride so far so good.

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
doo runs a 170-400 primary spring
cat is something like 100-280
poo 120-320..

i dunno but 170-400 is kinda nuts

J
Mar 10, 2017
Eastern Idaho
Installed my blow hole last night, I'll bring my IR thermometer on a ride and check temps before climbing a hill, and after hitting it a couple times, then I'll go to the bottom and let clutches cool to the temp they were before climbing the hill twice, then plug the blow hole back in and hit the hill again twice and see how much cooler they are.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
doo runs a 170-400 primary spring
cat is something like 100-280
poo 120-320..

i dunno but 170-400 is kinda nuts
Stiff springs and heavy weights. How to make mega clutch heat 101.

Oviously there is much more to proper calibration then just primary spring. But they are all part of a system. And its pretty obvious which style system works and which doesnt.

Factory cat is 120-235# -best 2018 sled on belts
Factory Axys is 120-320# - milddle of the road
Factory Doo is 170-400# - worst on belts.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Would like to see one of those sensors after a few belts grenade
Tell ya what.
If ANY of my 850's were blowing through belts, THAT would be the first mod I did to the sleds.

Nothing beats REAL TIME DATA to resolve heat related issues.

J
Mar 10, 2017
Eastern Idaho
Ok, I have checked the accuracy of the cooking thermometer and the IR thermometer and I'm going to put a couple of spray paint dots on the side of my secondary so the IR gun will get accurate repeatable results, flat black is the prefered surface to shoot with the IR gun. I'll do 2 dots to keep the clutch balanced ;-)

I will be using 1200 degree paint so the heat of the clutches hopefully won't burn it off. I'll just tuck the cooking thermometer between the side of the belt and one of the sheaves.

Might get out tomorrow, or thursday, or friday, 43* and super windy right now, so the snow could be going to crap up high and it might be a bit tough to wring the sleds neck to get the clutches as hot as I'd like on a hill, so I might just rip WFO laps back and forth between 2 points.

I'll start a new thread when I have results.

ryanjeri

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
ID
Just Curious.

They are from Paul Idaho, I have on on my maverick turbo. Mine is an older one, and in a side by side it is easy to see the gauge, so when it starts getting to the temp I feel is bad I back out, This would be difficult to do on a sled, well for me anyway, I have a hard enough time keeping it upright.

It is a IR "non contact" thermocouple, On my can-am it is mounted in the belt cover pointing at the top of the belt so i get a pretty good idea what temp my belt is.

J
Mar 10, 2017
Eastern Idaho
They are from Paul Idaho, I have on on my maverick turbo. Mine is an older one, and in a side by side it is easy to see the gauge, so when it starts getting to the temp I feel is bad I back out...

You run a different belt in your SxS than a sled obviously, but what temp do you feel is the limit for the belt? Is there some consensus in the SxS community about what is the maximum allowable belt temp?

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
You run a different belt in your SxS than a sled obviously, but what temp do you feel is the limit for the belt? Is there some consensus in the SxS community about what is the maximum allowable belt temp?

The new Maverick X3 Turbo SxS runs the same 391 or 531 belt that your 850 does.

Premium Features