• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

carb air filters vs air box?

GoHiSK1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Melfort Saskatchewan
I like to use the airbox if I can. Have done a couple of custom engine chassis builds were a air box was not possible so had to use filters. They are OK for trail riding were the air flow is cool under the hood but when in the deep powder snow when all the vents a pluged and the under temps hit 100 +++ the sleds would BOG very bady untill I cleand the hood screens and cooled thinks off.
Cool air more HP. Hot air less HP.
My 2 cents

M

mod03rmk800

Nov 26, 2007
missoula
Never seen a sled run good with pods in deep fluffy snow boondocking with or with-out a mesh hood. Run good until the snow piles up on the hood plus exhaust adds to the problems.

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
your engine wants cold air, and will get that with a airbox. with a pods you will pull in hot air.

T
Jan 3, 2008
Park Rapids, MN
If you add flow rites on the dash, how many or how much area in needed to make sled run better, with out being to much as to mess up your jetting. I was going to make my own filters, curios what sizes others have tried.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Doesn't matter how much venting you add. When you are at the top of a big climb, ground speed down to a couple of miles per hour, there is a dead flow area behind the motor where the carbs are. If you are running filters you now are pulling in hot air off the motor and the thing bogs.

Airbox is the best solution. Today's airboxes can be made to flow more air than any mod would ever need, and it will all be nice fresh outside air.

sled_guy

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Air filter pods are for dirtbikes and ATV's. Try them if you must and learn the hard way. Add flowrites and gut the airbox if you want more flow, gutting really isn't necessary as it adds intake noise.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
umm im pretty sure 99.9% of engines have air filters, including some sleds. have you seen the timbersled intake kits? it was a simple question, i just wanted to know if they worked on the edge and aparently they dont

slash

Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2008
IDAHO FALLS 83404
Had mine bog one time on top of mt jefferson in island park ID had to let it air out so to speek to ride out of the bowl on top,went back to an air box right after .Same mtn next weekend no problem!

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
the timbersled set up mounts on top of the airbox, you are still pulling outside air from the headlight pod assembly.....

i wasnt really talking about the edge setup as much as them in general. ive only seen the m1000 setups, but that i interesting to me thet they still use the stock airbox. looks like im using the airbox. thanks guys

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Yes....keep the airbox. Have done both and been around many 800 Edge's that have done both. EVERY single one went back to a airbox. :beer;

Premium Features