• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

what aluminum to build mesh hood

W

wje_153

Nov 20, 2008
Montana
I am going to build a mesh hood for a 700 edge, and i cant find the right aluminum for bending it into the shape of a hood, and then i need it to be lightweight. I need to keep it under a 10$ budget. Thanks

B
Dec 3, 2008
$10 or $100?

not going to find the screen for under $10!

Are you looking to use flat bar or round tubing or a combo of both? For the screen, I have heard that either trampoline material or pet screen from a hardware store works well for the mesh.

sledmanhof

Lifetime Membership
Sep 17, 2005
Canistota, South Dakota
theres no way to keep it under 10 bucks and even 100 is pretty tough depending what you get and how much you get...i tried making one for my edge last year and got about 75 bucks into it and then decided not to do it...it takes more work and is more complicated than a person would think to get a good fit and make it look good....

the disadvantage to using flat from what i gather is the fact that it bends so much easier if it is rolled or run into, so id try for round tubing...my .02$

Last edited:
W

wje_153

Nov 20, 2008
Montana
ive got the pet screen, im just debating if i should round tubing or flat aluminum, from what ive been hearing though is round tubing is the way to go.

B
Dec 3, 2008
I would agree. Round would be stronger. A little harder to work with, but stronger.

I assume you have the capability to aluminum weld and bend the tubing.
Im not sure what is around Great Falls, but we have a steel fabricator/distributer here in town who is SO MUCH cheaper for bulk material of any kind than any hardware store or place the average Joe would go.

I have wondered about making one for my edge as well. I would use atleast 3/4" od or 1" od tubing for the major structural members and 7/16" or 1/2" od tubing for the cross members and any members that would be only for shaping the screen.

Premium Features